Broadband dropout

Old November 15th 11, 05:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

Default Broadband dropout

Recently my connection has been dropping out, may be 3 or 4 times a day.
When it does so the router will never reconnect unless I switch it off and
on again. Not only does the connection drop, but I am unable to login to
the router to change/examine settings, so it appears to have crashed
completely. I have two different routers, a Linksys WAG354G and a Belkin
F5D9630-4, and exactly the same problem exists with both.

I find it surprising that both routers seem to lock up completely rather
than just lose internet connectivity and also that neither will reconnect
without power cycling. I would have expected the routers to reconnect
automatically. They never do, however long I wait, but when I power cycle
they will both reconnect immediately.

Is this in anyone's experience a common problem or do I just happen to have
two rather dodgy routers?

Any suggestions for alternative routers that might be more stable?

(I appreciate that the dropout might be a problem with the phone line and I
will in due course contact my ISP but first I would like to eliminate
problems with my equipment)

Old November 15th 11, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Andrew wrote:
[...]

If you can't connect to the router to monitor its settings then the most
likely problem is that the router is (intermittently) faulty. However
if two routers show this problem then maybe your computer is faulty.

So try more than one computer - ideally simultaneously.

Is it true that **every** time you lose the internet connection you are
also unable to communicate with the router?

When this happens, do the indicator lights on the router show anything
useful? For example, one should show the state of the connection to the
computer; and one other should show the ADSL state. Some routers have a
light to show the PPPoA state.

When the router is working, and you are monitoring it from the computer,
try unplugging the ADSL wire to the microfilter. The router lights
should show the change in status, and the computer should show that the
router has no ADSL sync. Then reconnect the wire, and watch how the
computer and router lights change. You should see the synchronisation
process start, then complete; and after that the PPPoA session become
established. The terminology used by the router may not use the words
I've used, but their meaning should be clear.

If possible leave a (spare) computer monitoring the router continuously,
so you can see when it fails.

If your router can be managed from the internet, get a friend to monitor
it and report whether it has a connection to the internet at the same
time as you are unable to communicate with it. (Yes I have seen a
router demonstrate exactly this fault - consistently until it cooled down!)

--
Graham J

Old November 15th 11, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew wrote:
Recently my connection has been dropping out, may be 3 or 4 times a day.
When it does so the router will never reconnect unless I switch it off
and on again. Not only does the connection drop, but I am unable to
login to the router to change/examine settings, so it appears to have
crashed completely. I have two different routers, a Linksys WAG354G and
a Belkin F5D9630-4, and exactly the same problem exists with both.

I find it surprising that both routers seem to lock up completely rather
than just lose internet connectivity and also that neither will
reconnect without power cycling. I would have expected the routers to
reconnect automatically. They never do, however long I wait, but when I
power cycle they will both reconnect immediately.

Is this in anyone's experience a common problem or do I just happen to
have two rather dodgy routers?

I suspect the latter. I had experience with a netgear that did that.
It all started to go wrong after a sever thunderstorm ;-)

Any suggestions for alternative routers that might be more stable?

I love D-links and I Lurve my Billion router. Bitch to set up, but its
stable as heck. The only time its crapped on me was...after a
thunderstorm ...but power cycling it fixed that.

(I appreciate that the dropout might be a problem with the phone line
and I will in due course contact my ISP but first I would like to
eliminate problems with my equipment)

I have as a result of a tech droid experience bought a cheapo router
that sits there 'in case' I need to prove the line is buggered, not my
equipment, again.

Its something called a TP-link. cheap enough and seems to work OK.

Old November 15th 11, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 15/11/2011 05:08, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Do you have a wired or wireless connection to your router? When it
refuses to talk to you, what happens if you ping its (LAN) IP address?

Do you have more than one computer connected to the router? If so, when
this problem occurs, can your PCs still communicate with each other?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old November 15th 11, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

Andrew wrote...

Is this in anyone's experience a common problem or do I just happen to have
two rather dodgy routers?

How are you providing power to the routers? Is there much else plugged
into the ring main and have you tried using a surge and spike protector?

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Old November 15th 11, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Yes, many routers start to get flaky if they get too hot, hence I
never stack one on top of the other without something like a couple of
pencils in between so they can 'breathe'.

Old November 15th 11, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

I love D-links and I Lurve my Billion router. Bitch to set up, but its
stable as heck. The only time its crapped on me was...after a
thunderstorm ...but power cycling it fixed that.

Its something called a TP-link. cheap enough and seems to work OK.

Funny you should mention that...someone I know who sells Billion routers who
was looking for some substitutes because the distributor consistently has
problems with getting hold of Billion stock. He was comparing screen shots
between Billion and TP-Link routers and concluded that they're probably the
same router inside. I haven't used a Billion but I've got a TP-Link on the
way that supports IPsec tunnels and costs about 40 so would make a great
homeworker router.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
"People believe any quote they read on the internet

Old November 16th 11, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

alexd wrote:
The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

I love D-links and I Lurve my Billion router. Bitch to set up, but its
stable as heck. The only time its crapped on me was...after a
thunderstorm ...but power cycling it fixed that.

Its something called a TP-link. cheap enough and seems to work OK.

Funny you should mention that...someone I know who sells Billion routers who
was looking for some substitutes because the distributor consistently has
problems with getting hold of Billion stock. He was comparing screen shots
between Billion and TP-Link routers and concluded that they're probably the
same router inside. I haven't used a Billion but I've got a TP-Link on the
way that supports IPsec tunnels and costs about 40 so would make a great
homeworker router.

I grabbed Billion because at the time only it and the Draytek Vigor or
something did VOIP

And it had all the things I wanted - SNMP and syslog capability.

And it wasn't 'Styled'

I like it a lot. They are in short supply sadly.

More popular in Oz than here.
Old November 17th 11, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
Andrew wrote:
[...]

Same problem on multiple PCs. Two are connected by cable, one is wireless.
The latter reports that it is unable to connect to a wireless network (or
similar message).

Is it true that **every** time you lose the internet connection you are
also unable to communicate with the router?

Yes, it does appear that I am unable to communicate with the router every
time I lose internet connection. On both routers!

When this happens, do the indicator lights on the router show anything
useful? For example, one should show the state of the connection to the
computer; and one other should show the ADSL state. Some routers have a
light to show the PPPoA state.

I am not sure. I'll take note next time it happens. I suspect I will not
need to wait long!

When the router is working, and you are monitoring it from the computer,
try unplugging the ADSL wire to the microfilter. The router lights should
show the change in status, and the computer should show that the router
has no ADSL sync. Then reconnect the wire, and watch how the computer and
router lights change. You should see the synchronisation process start,
then complete; and after that the PPPoA session become established. The
terminology used by the router may not use the words I've used, but their
meaning should be clear.

OK, an interesting idea. I can still connect (login) to the router when I
disconnect the ADSL wire.
I'll take note of the status LEDs next time the connection drops out to see
how it compares.

If possible leave a (spare) computer monitoring the router continuously,
so you can see when it fails.

I am not entirely sure how I see when it fails. If I leave my PC on all day
and come back to it after the connection has dropped, how do I determine
**when** it failed?
Also, unless I find it happens at the same time every day (which from
experience I am confident it does not) then I am not sure how it helps me.

If your router can be managed from the internet, get a friend to monitor
it and report whether it has a connection to the internet at the same time
as you are unable to communicate with it. (Yes I have seen a router
demonstrate exactly this fault - consistently until it cooled down!)

I've tried this. I can login to my home router from work. Usually if I try
later in the day I am unable to connect.

--
Graham J

Old November 17th 11, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew wrote:
[...]

same crap as I had to the letter. router in bin job for me.

The damn thing is crashing...probably has a hardware fault - bad RAM
perhaps. Its doing a kernel panic probably, but who knows?