Plusnet - broadband connection

Old November 27th 11, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mrs Miggins

Default Plusnet - broadband connection

Hello all

This week my Broadband service, managed by Plusnet, was upgraded to a faster
connection. After this work the "broadband" light on my router (the 5th
light on it), a Thomson TG585v7, has not been showing green but shows a dull
red colour.

I can connect to the internet and it "seems" ok. I logged a call with the
support desk. They blithely wrote back that they have never heard of this
before. That response seemed unusual to me, given that it is their router.

Is there anything to worry about? I'm thinking that the connection might
not be properly configured.

--
Regards,
MM

Old November 27th 11, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wibble

"Mrs Miggins" wrote in message
om...
Hello all

This week my Broadband service, managed by Plusnet, was upgraded to a
faster connection. After this work the "broadband" light on my router
(the 5th light on it), a Thomson TG585v7, has not been showing green but
shows a dull red colour.

I can connect to the internet and it "seems" ok. I logged a call with the
support desk. They blithely wrote back that they have never heard of this
before. That response seemed unusual to me, given that it is their
router.

Is there anything to worry about? I'm thinking that the connection might
not be properly configured.

Green Solid on Internet connectivity, no activity, Blinking Internet
activity

Red Solid on Internet connection setup failed

Off No Internet connection

Old November 27th 11, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 27/11/2011 12:45, Mrs Miggins wrote:
Hello all

This week my Broadband service, managed by Plusnet, was upgraded to a faster
connection. After this work the "broadband" light on my router (the 5th
light on it), a Thomson TG585v7, has not been showing green but shows a dull
red colour.

I can connect to the internet and it "seems" ok. I logged a call with the
support desk. They blithely wrote back that they have never heard of this
before. That response seemed unusual to me, given that it is their router.

Is there anything to worry about? I'm thinking that the connection might
not be properly configured.

You might try posting to plusnet.service.customer-feedback as you will
probably get some replies from other Plusnet users who have the Thomson
routers.
Old November 27th 11, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:45:20 -0000, "Mrs Miggins"
wrote:

Hello all

This week my Broadband service, managed by Plusnet, was upgraded to a faster
connection. After this work the "broadband" light on my router (the 5th
light on it), a Thomson TG585v7, has not been showing green but shows a dull
red colour.

I can connect to the internet and it "seems" ok. I logged a call with the
support desk. They blithely wrote back that they have never heard of this
before. That response seemed unusual to me, given that it is their router.

Is there anything to worry about? I'm thinking that the connection might
not be properly configured.

Was the upgrade from ADSL to ADSL2+? If so then it your router trying
to sync with the exchange DSLAM. That's because ADSL2+ syncs at a
higher speed than ADSL and requires a better connection. You are not
getting a lot from the upgrade. If it works then OK but make sure you
are really getting a faster connection.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old November 27th 11, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 27/11/2011 13:14, Wibble wrote:
"Mrs wrote in message
om...
Hello all

This week my Broadband service, managed by Plusnet, was upgraded to a
faster connection. After this work the "broadband" light on my router
(the 5th light on it), a Thomson TG585v7, has not been showing green but
shows a dull red colour.

I can connect to the internet and it "seems" ok. I logged a call with the
support desk. They blithely wrote back that they have never heard of this
before. That response seemed unusual to me, given that it is their
router.

Is there anything to worry about? I'm thinking that the connection might
not be properly configured.

Green Solid on Internet connectivity, no activity, Blinking Internet
activity

Red Solid on Internet connection setup failed

Off No Internet connection

Generally, I'd agree with you but the OP says that the "internet seems OK"
Old November 27th 11, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mrs Miggins

"Mrs wrote in message
[...]

Hi - yes I can connect to the internet, get mail off servers etc.
MM

Old November 27th 11, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mrs Miggins

[...]

Thanks for that thought. But just seen the next post.
MM

Old November 27th 11, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mrs Miggins

wrote:

[...]

Thanks - I will ask the support desk.
MM

Old November 27th 11, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 27/11/2011 12:45, Mrs Miggins wrote:
Hello all

This week my Broadband service, managed by Plusnet, was upgraded to a faster
connection. After this work the "broadband" light on my router (the 5th
light on it), a Thomson TG585v7, has not been showing green but shows a dull
red colour.

I can connect to the internet and it "seems" ok. I logged a call with the
support desk. They blithely wrote back that they have never heard of this
before. That response seemed unusual to me, given that it is their router.

Is there anything to worry about? I'm thinking that the connection might
not be properly configured.

Normally, I would suggest 'if it aint broke - dont fix it'.

You do not say what speed you are getting and so I would suggest you go to:

http://www.speedtest.net/

run a test,

also go to the 'pingtest.net' box and run a ping test.

By a bit of forensic reverse analysis, someone here can probably
estimate what your previous speed was and whether you are better off.

However, you say 'this week' and so I would leave it for a few days to
make sure that you have stabilised. [My advice is to leave the router on
all the time - but others may disagree].

Flop

Old November 27th 11, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Flop wrote:
[...]

Crossover point seems to be about 3.5Mbps. less than that stay with the
8Mpbps service...

However, you say 'this week' and so I would leave it for a few days to
make sure that you have stabilised. [My advice is to leave the router on
all the time - but others may disagree].

I think the curious point is the Thomson router panel light.

Flop