Zen on the Ball!

Old December 1st 11, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default Zen on the Ball!

My Zen service runs from Day 1 of the month to the last day of the
month. In the middle of November, I received a message from them to
tell me that I had used more than 50% of my allotted download
allowance. No problem, and indeed helpful.
Yesterday, the last day of November, I received another message to say
that I had used up 77.91% of my monthly allowance!
If this had been using paper and regular mail, it would have been both a
waste of paper, and also too late.
But at least they let me know, even if it was a little pointless.
--
Davey.
Old December 1st 11, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 12:00:31 +0000, Davey wrote:

My Zen service runs from Day 1 of the month to the last day of the
month. In the middle of November, I received a message from them to
tell me that I had used more than 50% of my allotted download
allowance.

I wish ICUK would just send that sort of helpful warning.
If I do an occasional heavy bit of downloading it immediately assumes I'm going
to keep on doing that and starts suggesting upgrading or paying extra, or get
throttled if I don't agree to pay extra if I exceed my cap!
Not a problem - I just ignore the angst, but it's annoying.

On the other hand, it has just switched us to a new, possibly faster, network,
and upped 2GB caps to 10GB for the same price!

--
/\/\aurice

Old December 1st 11, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Davey
wrote
My Zen service runs from Day 1 of the month to the last day of the
month. In the middle of November, I received a message from them to
tell me that I had used more than 50% of my allotted download
allowance. No problem, and indeed helpful.
Yesterday, the last day of November, I received another message to say
that I had used up 77.91% of my monthly allowance!
If this had been using paper and regular mail, it would have been both a
waste of paper, and also too late.
But at least they let me know, even if it was a little pointless.

If you use firefox as your browser you can get a little application that
shows your Zen usage on screen.
http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadb.../broadband-usa
ge-checkers.aspx
--
Alan
Old December 1st 11, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 22:43:38 +0000
Alan wrote:

In message , Davey
wrote
My Zen service runs from Day 1 of the month to the last day of the
month. In the middle of November, I received a message from them to
tell me that I had used more than 50% of my allotted download
allowance. No problem, and indeed helpful.
Yesterday, the last day of November, I received another message to
say that I had used up 77.91% of my monthly allowance!
If this had been using paper and regular mail, it would have been
both a waste of paper, and also too late.
But at least they let me know, even if it was a little pointless.

If you use firefox as your browser you can get a little application
that shows your Zen usage on screen.
http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadb.../broadband-usa
ge-checkers.aspx

I installed it, and got to the point where it asked for my Zen Login
and Password. I entered them, maybe rightly, maybe wrongly, but it says
wrongly, and now I can't get it to ask me again, it just says I
entered one or the other incorrectly as soon as I start Firefox, but
doesn't give me the opportunity to do it correctly!
It says it's for business customers, anyway.
--
Davey.
Old December 2nd 11, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Count de Monet

On 01/12/2011 23:50, Davey wrote:

I installed it, and got to the point where it asked for my Zen Login
and Password. I entered them, maybe rightly, maybe wrongly, but it says
wrongly, and now I can't get it to ask me again, it just says I
entered one or the other incorrectly as soon as I start Firefox, but
doesn't give me the opportunity to do it correctly!
It says it's for business customers, anyway.

I have the Zen Broadband Usage Viewer add-on for Firefox and it behaves
the same way. It tells me that the user-name and password are incorrect
when I know they are correct.
Old December 2nd 11, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Count de Monet wrote:
On 01/12/2011 23:50, Davey wrote:

I installed it, and got to the point where it asked for my Zen Login
and Password. I entered them, maybe rightly, maybe wrongly, but it says
wrongly, and now I can't get it to ask me again, it just says I
entered one or the other incorrectly as soon as I start Firefox, but
doesn't give me the opportunity to do it correctly!
It says it's for business customers, anyway.

I have the Zen Broadband Usage Viewer add-on for Firefox and it behaves
the same way. It tells me that the user-name and password are incorrect
when I know they are correct.

It is a known problem - it does work most of the time, but sometimes
not. I've challenged Zen about it: the response from my account manager
was:

"I have sent this off to our internal helpdesk and received the response
below. They are aware of the issue and it isn't specific to Firefox.
They are looking to resolve as soon as possible."

This was 26 September 2011 so perhaps you should all challenge them again!

--
Graham J

Old December 2nd 11, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:09:43 +0000
Graham J [email protected] wrote:

Count de Monet wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Although the fact that it specifically states that it is for
business users may not help a domestic user, but there is no harm in
trying.
--
Davey.
Old December 2nd 11, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Graham [email protected] wrote:

Count de Monet wrote:
[...]

I chased them again. Their reply:

"
The only download usage checker that we officially support and maintain
is the online checker within our Portal.

As you know we do have a number of extra Broadband Usage Checker Clients
available for download from the link below. However, these clients do
not form part of the core Zen product and as such are not officially
supported and/or maintained but we do make updates and bug fixes from
time to time.

Within the notes on the download page we do advise that all the software
is provided as is, and that no support from Zen Internet is available.

http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadb...r-clients.aspx

With regards the Firefox client we also indicate that the there is
currently a known problem on the download page.
"

-- Graham J

Old December 2nd 11, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Count de Monet wrote:
[...]

I just submitted a report, so I will probably get the same reply. Oh
well.
--
Davey.
Old December 2nd 11, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Davey
wrote

Thank you. Although the fact that it specifically states that it is for
business users may not help a domestic user, but there is no harm in
trying.

I'm a home user and had this working for years.
--
Alan