Virgin Media, now known as WibblyWobblyInternet

Old December 1st 11, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WendyBurger

Default Virgin Media, now known as WibblyWobblyInternet

Anyone else having problems with these clowns these last few weeks?

3rd time this week that their internet has gone down, sick of dealing
with far away foreign call centres, who once they find out it's a mac,
cold transfer me through to another call centre who want to charge me,
to connect to my computer and "Look around the file system"

I can't connect on a mac, on a macbook, on a windows 7 netbook or on my
iPhone, but they still refuse to believe that there's anything wrong
with their services.

Just rung again, there's a message on now saying that there's issues in
the whole Knowsley/St Helens area.

The company is a joke.
Old December 1st 11, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"WendyBurger" wrote in message
Anyone else having problems with these clowns these last few weeks?

3rd time this week that their internet has gone down, sick of dealing with
far away foreign call centres, who once they find out it's a mac, cold
transfer me through to another call centre who want to charge me, to
connect to my computer and "Look around the file system"

I can't connect on a mac, on a macbook, on a windows 7 netbook or on my
iPhone, but they still refuse to believe that there's anything wrong with
their services.

Just rung again, there's a message on now saying that there's issues in
the whole Knowsley/St Helens area.

The company is a joke.

Perhaps you should consider changing to Plusnet who have a UK call centre
and a good record for sorting things.

Peter Crosland

Old December 1st 11, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WendyBurger

Perhaps you should consider changing to Plusnet who have a UK call centre
and a good record for sorting things.

Peter Crosland

Seriously considering moving away from them and back to ADSL when the
contract is up, unfortunately we're in an 18 month contract and it runs
until July, I'm not sure I can face the fight in getting them to let us
out of the contract.
Old December 1st 11, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"WendyBurger" wrote in message

Perhaps you should consider changing to Plusnet who have a UK call centre
and a good record for sorting things.

Peter Crosland

Seriously considering moving away from them and back to ADSL when the
contract is up, unfortunately we're in an 18 month contract and it runs
until July, I'm not sure I can face the fight in getting them to let us
out of the contract.

Give them polite written notice sent by recorded delivery to their head
office that if they don't sort it within seven working days you will leave.
I doubt they will even try to hold you to the contract.

Peter Crosland

Old December 1st 11, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nucking Futs

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 17:19:01 +0000, Peter Crosland churned:

Perhaps you should consider changing to Plusnet who have a UK call
centre and a good record for sorting things.

And why is that?? Simple, BECAUSE THEY'VE HAD ENOUGH F*&KING PRACTICE!!!

Old December 2nd 11, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

WendyBurger wrote:
Anyone else having problems with these clowns these last few weeks?

3rd time this week that their internet has gone down, sick of dealing
with far away foreign call centres, who once they find out it's a mac,
cold transfer me through to another call centre who want to charge me,
to connect to my computer and "Look around the file system"

Post to the VM forum, the staff there have somewhat more clue. Not
necessarily power to do anything more than book a callout, but they
understand what things like 'SNR' and 'DNS' mean. Also saying things like
'the lights on the modem are in such-and-such unusual state' tend to get
their attention.

Just rung again, there's a message on now saying that there's issues in
the whole Knowsley/St Helens area.

The company is a joke.

VM problems are often very localised, depending a lot on how cash-strapped
or incompetent the original 1980s cableco who wired you was (or whether your
street was a Friday afternoon job). Some areas have near perfect
connections, others have it quite bad.

Theo
Old December 2nd 11, 07:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message ...
WendyBurger wrote:
[...]

I would totally agree with the last paragraph. We were part of
the Yorkshire Cable area (or was it Bell Cablemedia?) which seems
to have been installed to a fairly high standard. The only outage
we have had in recent years was when a car ran into a streetcab
it the top of our road (about 100m away but not my connection
point) a few months ago. We were without cable phone for about 24
hours and broadband came back in less than 48. Given that they
had to completely replace the cab, rekit the new one, and
reterminate everything in not exactly hospitable weather I don't
think they did a bad job at all.

Leeds on the other hand was a different system builder and is
notorious for outage problems although it must be admitted not
all of the city, just parts.

I would add that, IME, they are undoubtedly the most consistent
supplier of speedy connection that I have come across - not
something that anyone using ADSL (of any form) can often say.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 2nd 11, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Wade

WendyBurger wrote:
[...]

Given they have new infrastructure they ruddy well ought to be, yet sadly
they don't seem prepared to extend it at all so may are left without any
choice of technology. Any one point me to that article about the fact they
won't even invest in more secure cabinets...

The current FTTC offerings seem to offer similar reliability. Trouble is
they are only available in limited areas...