1Mb broadband

Old December 1st 11, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

Default 1Mb broadband

I have Virgin National which is an ADSL service. The speed I get is just
over 1Mb (around 130KB/s). I've spoken to Virgin to ask them to upgrade
me but they said I was already on something stupidly high like 10MB.
They suggested it might be the distance from the exchange.

I live in a fairly new (house built 10 years ago) area in an urban area.
A friend who lives in a different part of down gets about 20Mbs!

Is there anything I can do to increase my speed, should I be expected to
put up with this?
Old December 1st 11, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Deux wrote:
I have Virgin National which is an ADSL service. The speed I get is just
over 1Mb (around 130KB/s). I've spoken to Virgin to ask them to upgrade
me but they said I was already on something stupidly high like 10MB.
They suggested it might be the distance from the exchange.

I live in a fairly new (house built 10 years ago) area in an urban area.
A friend who lives in a different part of down gets about 20Mbs!

Is there anything I can do to increase my speed, should I be expected to
put up with this?

tell us what your speed, signal to noise ratio and attenuation a

That will say how good the line SHOULD be..

Old December 2nd 11, 07:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Deux wrote:
I have Virgin National which is an ADSL service. The speed I
get is just over 1Mb (around 130KB/s). I've spoken to Virgin
to ask them to upgrade me but they said I was already on
something stupidly high like 10MB.
They suggested it might be the distance from the exchange.

I live in a fairly new (house built 10 years ago) area in an
urban area. A friend who lives in a different part of down
gets about 20Mbs!

Is there anything I can do to increase my speed, should I be
expected to put up with this?

tell us what your speed, signal to noise ratio and attenuation

That will say how good the line SHOULD be..

Do you know how far you are from your serving exchange? Agreed
the linear distance and the cable distance may be two different
things but they won't be that far different. With ADSL the
greater you are from the exchange the lower the speed.

VM saying that you are on a 10Mb feed might be slightly
misleading - or they think you are on cable. The speed quoted is
the theoretical maximum you could ever see, but in reality you
are unlikely to see that speed outside the exchange building.
However for most purposes you should expect perhaps 4-6Mb so 1Mb
does suggest there is a problem.

Is your telephone line noisy or suffer from audio level problems?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 3rd 11, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 07:51:56 +0000, Woody wrote:

Do you know how far you are from your serving exchange? Agreed the
linear distance and the cable distance may be two different things but
they won't be that far different. With ADSL the greater you are from the
exchange the lower the speed.

No, I've only been told my speed might be down to distance from the
exchange but I have no idea what the distance is.

VM saying that you are on a 10Mb feed might be slightly misleading - or
they think you are on cable. The speed quoted is the theoretical maximum
you could ever see, but in reality you are unlikely to see that speed
outside the exchange building. However for most purposes you should
expect perhaps 4-6Mb so 1Mb does suggest there is a problem.

Yes, the speed Virgin gave would be the package I am on. I know I
wouldn't get that maximum but I don't get anywhere near it.

Is your telephone line noisy or suffer from audio level problems?

Not that I'm aware of.

I did have a lot of trouble when I moved into my house with broadband
only working for about 10 minutes each day. Someone from Virgin called
me to say that the speed setting at my exchange(?) was too high and they
were going to have it reduced and that would fix the problem, sure enough
a couple of weeks later it did get fixed.

Old December 3rd 11, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

Deux wrote...

No, I've only been told my speed might be down to distance from the
exchange but I have no idea what the distance is.

Put your post code into search box here to find your exchange:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
and then click on BT ADSL and it will give you the distance to exchange.

"Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length
will be longer!"

It shows me as 1.36km from exchange and I get 11mbps.
However I'm in a new town with relatively modern telecoms infrastructure
and in an OAP complex with no competition for the bandwidth from my 40+
neighbours:-)
--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Old December 3rd 11, 02:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 01:30:45 +0000, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Put your post code into search box here to find your exchange:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and then click on BT
ADSL and it will give you the distance to exchange.

I don't see any link that says "BT ADSL" but the postcode I get back is
about 2 miles away.

Old December 3rd 11, 03:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

Deux wrote...

I don't see any link that says "BT ADSL" but the postcode I get back is
about 2 miles away.

Sorry, posted wrong link, should have been
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Old December 3rd 11, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 03:25:36 +0000, UnsteadyKen wrote:

I don't see any link that says "BT ADSL" but the postcode I get back is
about 2 miles away.

Sorry, posted wrong link, should have been
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

You are approximately 1.93km from the exchange

Standard ADSL RAG results

* You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
* You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
* You can receive 512kbps ADSL
* You can receive 256kbps ADSL
Old December 3rd 11, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Deux" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 03:25:36 +0000, UnsteadyKen wrote:

I don't see any link that says "BT ADSL" but the postcode I
get back is
about 2 miles away.

Sorry, posted wrong link, should have been
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

You are approximately 1.93km from the exchange

Standard ADSL RAG results

* You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
* You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
* You can receive 512kbps ADSL
* You can receive 256kbps ADSL

Seems very strange in this day and age that they are looking at
2Mb as a maximum - apparently.

Try
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

This shows me as 1.61Km from the exchange by road (which is
probably where the cable runs given our location) and it says I
should get 11Mb, so why you can only have 1Mb at 1.93Km is
somewhat baffling to say the least. (I am a cable user so what I
actually get is irrelevant.)

Old December 3rd 11, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Woody wrote:
"Deux" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You do realise that cable broadband has nothing to do with ADSL....