VPN oppertunity?

Old December 2nd 11, 11:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

Default VPN oppertunity?

Wish to connect to home NAS and network printers from a new address. Both
have dynamic IP assigned ADSL connections..

Could use logmein type thing as one PC is on 24/7, but is there a more
elegant solution ?

TIA, Tim.

Old December 2nd 11, 03:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 11:54:12 -0000
"Tim.." wrote:

Wish to connect to home NAS and network printers from a new address.
Both have dynamic IP assigned ADSL connections..

Could use logmein type thing as one PC is on 24/7, but is there a
more elegant solution ?

Have you checked if the dynamic addresses actually change? Mine seems
to stay the same. It shouldn't be too hard to run a script on the
always-on machine to check if the router's external address changed, and
post it to a web-mail account if it did, allowing external access
without the use of any third party services just by forwarding ports on
your router. I'm not sure that really counts as elegant though. :-)

Old December 3rd 11, 07:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

On 02/12/2011 15:02, Rob Morley wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 11:54:12 -0000
wrote:

Wish to connect to home NAS and network printers from a new address.
Both have dynamic IP assigned ADSL connections..

Could use logmein type thing as one PC is on 24/7, but is there a
more elegant solution ?

Have you checked if the dynamic addresses actually change? Mine seems
to stay the same. It shouldn't be too hard to run a script on the
always-on machine to check if the router's external address changed, and
post it to a web-mail account if it did, allowing external access
without the use of any third party services just by forwarding ports on
your router. I'm not sure that really counts as elegant though. :-)

or use a free service such as
http://www.no-ip.com/services/manage...namic_dns.html
for the routers external address.

I use this to access my father's PC remotely.

You can also get the IP address from a sent email headers.
Old December 9th 11, 10:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

On 02/12/2011 11:54, Tim.. wrote:
Wish to connect to home NAS and network printers from a new address.
Both have dynamic IP assigned ADSL connections..

Could use logmein type thing as one PC is on 24/7, but is there a more
elegant solution ?

Run a OpenVPN server somewhere on your home network. I use it to access
the whole of my home network while out, it even bridges to my mobile
phone which is assigned one of the home local network IP addresses. Can
then run *any* network application including RDP and access NAS securely
using SSL encryption, without further messing around trying to route
individual protocols through the router firewall.

Or more elegantly, buy a router that supports and has a builtin VPN
endpoint.

--
Adrian C

Old December 9th 11, 01:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 02/12/2011 11:54, Tim.. wrote:
Wish to connect to home NAS and network printers from a new address.
Both have dynamic IP assigned ADSL connections..

Could use logmein type thing as one PC is on 24/7, but is there a more
elegant solution ?

Run a OpenVPN server somewhere on your home network. I use it to access
the whole of my home network while out, it even bridges to my mobile phone
which is assigned one of the home local network IP addresses. Can then run
*any* network application including RDP and access NAS securely using SSL
encryption, without further messing around trying to route individual
protocols through the router firewall.

Or more elegantly, buy a router that supports and has a builtin VPN
endpoint.

I use two identical DG834G's which I believe have VPN end points already
..... ?

Tim.

VPN ?? Steve uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 8 August 28th 08 12:49 AM
VPN Grumps uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 February 28th 07 05:01 PM
VPN ports blocked by many ISPs, SSL VPN? Doz uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 September 13th 06 03:14 PM
VPN ports blocked by many ISPs, SSL VPN? Gordon Hudson uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 September 11th 06 02:03 PM
Vigor 2900G VPN v XP Pro VPN v XP Remote Desktop Fred Finisterre uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 December 2nd 04 09:40 AM