DSL poor speed conundrum

Old December 3rd 11, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DDS

Default DSL poor speed conundrum

Hello

Question: How shall I persuade BT to investigate a problem with the line
from my house to their exchange?

Background: All of the DSL line speed predictions give a reasonable
estimate of the speed I actually get. Online tests show that I am
getting that speed (upto 3Mbps service)The speed in question is approx.
1.5 - 2Mbps which corresponds with the service estimate.

The trouble is we've a second line into our house, from the same
telegraph pole, same street box, and same exchange is also DSL enabled.
it sees approx. 6Mbps. Our immediate neighbours get 5Mbps and they have
an overhead line to/from the same telegraph pole. Samknows says I'm
about 1600m fro the exchange.

This second line was installed some months after my speed tests on my
own line, and the addition of the second line has not affected speeds on
the first line.

Many many tests during the last year, inside the premises, prove that
the internal wiring (MS to router, router to PC, all CAT5) is not at
fault and neither is the router or filter. The problem lies the other
side of the master socket and it is not contention related.

BT say "we're not bothered - you're getting *some* kind of speed and
therefore we're not obliged to fix anything".

My ISP can't get BT to act because, as such, there is no fault.

What policy , what approach, what method might I be able to use to
persuade BT to investigate, has anyone experienced? What do you recommend?
Old December 3rd 11, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"DDS" wrote in message
[...]

Would a threat to stop using the line help do you think?
Or to the ISP on that line a threat to leave?
Are both ISPs the same?
Have you changed routers over?
Regards
David

Old December 3rd 11, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DDS

BT say "we're not bothered - you're getting *some* kind of speed and
therefore we're not obliged to fix anything".

My ISP can't get BT to act because, as such, there is no fault.

What policy , what approach, what method might I be able to use to
persuade BT to investigate, has anyone experienced? What do you
recommend?

Would a threat to stop using the line help do you think?

I'm stuck with a BT line, I fear.

Or to the ISP on that line a threat to leave?

I tried it. It didn't. I left.

Then I found the same line problem when I was with the new (and stil
current) ISP.

Are both ISPs the same?

No, they're different ISPs on the problem line and the OK line; I have
tried two different ISPs during this time on the problem line though,
with the same results - namely BT won't act and the ISPs seemed to be
stuck at that point ...

Have you changed routers over?

Yes. Problem is associated with the line the provider-side of the master
socket and is not associated with equipment or wiring the customer-side
of the MS.

Regards
David

Old December 3rd 11, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"DDS" wrote in message
[...]

Share the 6Mbps connection and abandon the other?

PA

Old December 3rd 11, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DDS

Share the 6Mbps connection and abandon the other?

That's a good idea ! But, unfortunately, the other line is paid for by
another party and not available to me. I really need to concentrate on
seeing a way of getting BT to embrace the thought that there's something
wrong and hence try to fix it.
Old December 3rd 11, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

DDS wrote:
Share the 6Mbps connection and abandon the other?

That's a good idea ! But, unfortunately, the other line is paid for by
another party and not available to me. I really need to concentrate on
seeing a way of getting BT to embrace the thought that there's something
wrong and hence try to fix it.

Tell us what the two routers report for download speed, SNR margin, and
loop attenuaton for both lines, so we can see how they compare.

Then get both your ISPs to tell you the BRAS profile for each line. If
your ISP cannot tell you the BRAS profile then get one that can.

--
Graham J

Old December 3rd 11, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

DDS wrote:
[...]

Try taking the router off the phone line and putting 240v on it:-) I can
guarantee that the pair back to the exchange will have a fault on it..

Old December 3rd 11, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

DDS wrote:
[...]

Well my line started at a stable sort of 3.9-4Mbps..then it got crap and
they fiddled..and today its actually at 6Mbps, so getting you new pairs
will really help. The problem is to do it without paying money.

Is the ISP BT?

Regards
David

Old December 3rd 11, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

DDS wrote:
Share the 6Mbps connection and abandon the other?

That's a good idea ! But, unfortunately, the other line is paid for by
another party and not available to me. I really need to concentrate on
seeing a way of getting BT to embrace the thought that there's something
wrong and hence try to fix it.

RUIN the existing line with ingenuity and electricity.

Old December 3rd 11, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:51:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Try taking the router off the phone line and putting 240v on it:-) I can
guarantee that the pair back to the exchange will have a fault on it..

Do BT exchanges still have an over-voltage alarm on each pair ?