"Managed wireless network" = 50,000

Old December 3rd 11, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default "Managed wireless network" = 50,000

My son's school newsletter says they need to spend 30k to 50k for the
above.

What on earth could this be?

Surely it is a load of wifi access points, wired up to an ethernet
router, etc.

I wonder whether the school is being massively ripped off.
Old December 3rd 11, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:03:06 +0000, Peter wrote:

My son's school newsletter says they need to spend 30k to 50k for the
above.

What on earth could this be?

Surely it is a load of wifi access points, wired up to an ethernet
router, etc.

I wonder whether the school is being massively ripped off.

For a start, 'managed' means a lot more control than the average home
network. And they'll need authentication, control, etc. It's not just a
scaled up consumer system.

And they'll probably need several switches, not to mention repeaters
unless it's a very small school. And the cabling to connect those...

And a whole lot more.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old December 3rd 11, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:03:06 +0000, Peter wrote:

My son's school newsletter says they need to spend 30k to 50k for the
above.

What on earth could this be?

Surely it is a load of wifi access points, wired up to an ethernet
router, etc.

I wonder whether the school is being massively ripped off.

For a start, 'managed' means a lot more control than the average home
network. And they'll need authentication, control, etc. It's not just a
scaled up consumer system.

And they'll probably need several switches, not to mention repeaters
unless it's a very small school. And the cabling to connect those...

And a whole lot more.

You could ask them to demonstrate the value of having the pupils playing
with computers, rather than learning to read, write, and add-up ...

--
Graham J

Old December 3rd 11, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

wrote:

My son's school newsletter says they need to spend 30k to 50k for the
above.

What on earth could this be?

Surely it is a load of wifi access points, wired up to an ethernet
router, etc.

I wonder whether the school is being massively ripped off.

It's a massive rip off. Where are they? I can recommend someone near
me in Cheshire.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old December 3rd 11, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

wrote:

My son's school newsletter says they need to spend 30k to 50k for the
above.

What on earth could this be?

Surely it is a load of wifi access points, wired up to an ethernet
router, etc.

I wonder whether the school is being massively ripped off.

It's a massive rip off. Where are they? I can recommend someone near
me in Cheshire.

Steve

Hassocks, West Sussex.

I realise wiring is expensive in man-hours (I paid 7k to have my
house rewired, with all kinds of complicated stuff like remotely
located dimming transformers) but 50k seems an outrageous amount given
that the entire backbone can be a single gigabit ethernet cable, with
100 switches here and there, and 100 access points around the place.

They will probably just have ADSL feeding the whole lot.
Old December 3rd 11, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Graham J [email protected] wrote

You could ask them to demonstrate the value of having the pupils playing
with computers, rather than learning to read, write, and add-up ...

You could indeed.......
Old December 3rd 11, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:30:18 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:03:06 +0000, Peter wrote:

My son's school newsletter says they need to spend 30k to 50k for the
above.

What on earth could this be?

Surely it is a load of wifi access points, wired up to an ethernet
router, etc.

I wonder whether the school is being massively ripped off.

For a start, 'managed' means a lot more control than the average home
network. And they'll need authentication, control, etc. It's not just a
scaled up consumer system.

And they'll probably need several switches, not to mention repeaters
unless it's a very small school. And the cabling to connect those...

And a whole lot more.

You could ask them to demonstrate the value of having the pupils playing
with computers, rather than learning to read, write, and add-up ...

Perhaps you should go into a school and find out for yourself.

Old December 3rd 11, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:

My son's school newsletter says they need to spend 30k to 50k for the
above.

What on earth could this be?

Surely it is a load of wifi access points, wired up to an ethernet
router, etc.

I wonder whether the school is being massively ripped off.

It's a massive rip off. Where are they? I can recommend someone near me
in Cheshire.

Steve

Hassocks, West Sussex.

I realise wiring is expensive in man-hours (I paid 7k to have my house
rewired, with all kinds of complicated stuff like remotely located
dimming transformers) but 50k seems an outrageous amount given that the
entire backbone can be a single gigabit ethernet cable, with 100
switches here and there, and 100 access points around the place.

You can get a 32-port managed switch for 100? I think not.

They will probably just have ADSL feeding the whole lot.

Then you know little. These days schools get much faster feeds than that.
Fairly hefty WANs are the norm.

But having said that, prices do vary wildly. I have heard 'Northgate' and
'rip-off' uttered in the same breath - but mainly because the support
apparently wasn't that great.

Old December 3rd 11, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I have. It was very disappointing ...

This was in the context of getting their system to work, after it had
been installed and configured by the preferried IT support contractor (a
privatised offshoot of the local education authority).

--
Graham J

Old December 3rd 11, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Bob Eager wrote

You can get a 32-port managed switch for 100? I think not.

I have 2 kids at schools, from state ones to 15000/year fancy ones,
and I have seen what they do in IT terms. Setting aside the pricey
schools spending loads of on *visibly* fancy IT (to impress
parents), the schools just do normal internet access with it.

*Separately* from this they might have a server where kids can keep
work, etc, but I don't think this school is getting that. They already
have a wired network, and a system where kids can save work under
account names.

They will probably just have ADSL feeding the whole lot.

Then you know little. These days schools get much faster feeds than that.
Fairly hefty WANs are the norm.

Possibly but this 50k was just for the installation of a wifi
networks, AFAICT.

But having said that, prices do vary wildly. I have heard 'Northgate' and
'rip-off' uttered in the same breath - but mainly because the support
apparently wasn't that great.

I think this smells, but education is an easy prey for ripoffs, like
local authorities.