FTTC

Old December 5th 11, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default FTTC

Sam Knows says "FTTC status: RFS date set : 01/12/2011" for my exchange.
We now passed that what usually happens?
Eg do BT offer FTTC to people, maybe own customers first etc.
Regards
David

Old December 5th 11, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
River Tarnell

In article , David wrote:
Sam Knows says "FTTC status: RFS date set : 01/12/2011" for my exchange.
We now passed that what usually happens?

Usually, nothing. RFS dates have been pretty meaningless for FTTC, and
are frequently pushed back. For example, my old exchange, which was
listed as 01/12/2011, is now listed as 31/12/2011. I will be surprised
if the date isn't pushed back again once we get there.

The BT Retail availability checker is at
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017.
That should have the most up-to-date information, and if it says your
line can get FTTC, then any FTTC provider will be able to deliver it.

- river.
Old December 5th 11, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"River Tarnell" wrote in message
In article , David
wrote:
Sam Knows says "FTTC status: RFS date set : 01/12/2011" for my exchange.
We now passed that what usually happens?

Usually, nothing. RFS dates have been pretty meaningless for FTTC, and
are frequently pushed back. For example, my old exchange, which was
listed as 01/12/2011, is now listed as 31/12/2011. I will be surprised
if the date isn't pushed back again once we get there.

The BT Retail availability checker is at
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017.
That should have the most up-to-date information, and if it says your
line can get FTTC, then any FTTC provider will be able to deliver it.

Gives me the OK
BT Infinity Fibre optic broadband
You can get fibre optic broadband with speeds of up to 40Mb now. 22.8Mb
download
5.8Mb upload Now

Is the 22.8 Mb what they expect the 40 Mb to end up as at my home?

If so loss seems same as on my copper line now, the up to 24 Mb is 12/13 Mb
here.

Have had no advertising of the new service being available locally.

Regards
David

Old December 5th 11, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Davd wrote:

Is the 22.8 Mb what they expect the 40 Mb to end up as at my home?
If so loss seems same as on my copper line now, the up to 24 Mb is 12/13
Mb here.

It's not the loss you need to worry about, it's the amount that reaches
you, after all you can't move your house closer to the green cabinet any
more than you could move it closer to the exchange.

Pick a provider and order it ...

Old December 5th 11, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
River Tarnell

In article , David wrote:
You can get fibre optic broadband with speeds of up to 40Mb now. 22.8Mb
download 5.8Mb upload Now

Is the 22.8 Mb what they expect the 40 Mb to end up as at my home?

Yes, but the speed estimate from the checker is usually quite
pessimistic. I'd be surprised if you didn't get 30-35Mbps in practice.

(I've heard it said that the checker is trying to factor in interference
from other FTTC users, and since it's still a new product with
relatively few users, that hasn't affected actual speeds yet; but I
don't know how true that is.)

- river.
Old December 5th 11, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Davd wrote:

Is the 22.8 Mb what they expect the 40 Mb to end up as at my home?
If so loss seems same as on my copper line now, the up to 24 Mb is 12/13
Mb here.

It's not the loss you need to worry about, it's the amount that reaches
you, after all you can't move your house closer to the green cabinet any
more than you could move it closer to the exchange.

Pick a provider and order it ...

I have asked now my current ISP what he has to offer firstly.

The same 50% loss makes me wonder how much of the distance is still the same
copper as there are no new cabinets near my house and on the estate, only
ones I can see are on the main road and a lot nearer to the exchange than my
house. Are BT doing this roll out on the cheap?
Regards
David

Old December 5th 11, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

David wrote:

The same 50% loss

speed is not lost linearly with distance, more like exponential.

makes me wonder how much of the distance is still the
same copper as there are no new cabinets near my house and on the
estate, only ones I can see are on the main road and a lot nearer to the
exchange than my house.

Sounds like the cabinet isn't ideally positions for you, but it will
have been chosen to generally be close to the old cabinet, and be in the
centre of the population they wish to offer FTTC service to.

There's plenty of people who'd lynch you for 13Mbps, let alone 23Mpbs :-P
Old December 5th 11, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

David wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Davd wrote:

Is the 22.8 Mb what they expect the 40 Mb to end up as at my home?
If so loss seems same as on my copper line now, the up to 24 Mb is 12/13
Mb here.

It's not the loss you need to worry about, it's the amount that
reaches you, after all you can't move your house closer to the green
cabinet any more than you could move it closer to the exchange.

Pick a provider and order it ...

I have asked now my current ISP what he has to offer firstly.

The same 50% loss makes me wonder how much of the distance is still the
same copper as there are no new cabinets near my house and on the
estate, only ones I can see are on the main road and a lot nearer to the
exchange than my house. Are BT doing this roll out on the cheap?

I can't say for sure what BT are doing and indeed BT themselves probably
don't know either.

But I can make a fair guess based on the technology the cash flows ad
teh mindset of BT such as I understand them.

BT is in its fumbling megalithic way Looking To The Future.

That Means Fibre. And More bandwidth. They got that far without taking
their socks off.

They don't yet know how much its going to cost, or what performance it
will give, or what people are prepared to pay for it. So the roll out is
patchy and inadequate.

As the situation clarifies, the plan will be modified to reflect reality
and more cabinets will be installed until the optimal cost/return
ratio is achieved. Or, if the government gets sweaty, until a minimum
standard is achieved across all subscribers.

But for now, you will get what you get.

Regards
David

Old December 5th 11, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:
You can get fibre optic broadband with speeds of up to 40Mb now. 22.8Mb
download 5.8Mb upload Now

Is the 22.8 Mb what they expect the 40 Mb to end up as at my home?

Yes, but the speed estimate from the checker is usually quite
pessimistic. I'd be surprised if you didn't get 30-35Mbps in practice.

(I've heard it said that the checker is trying to factor in interference
from other FTTC users, and since it's still a new product with
relatively few users, that hasn't affected actual speeds yet; but I
don't know how true that is.)

- river.

Mine Says:-

Broadband option Broadband speed range When you can get it Action

BT Total Broadband BT Total Broadband
You can get our fast and reliable broadband with speeds of up to 8Mb. The
speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds
can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is
generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted
Between 1.5Mb and 3.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 2.5Mb) Now Learn more

BT Infinity Fibre optic broadband
We're rolling out our fibre optic network to bring you faster speeds of up
to 40Mb. Register your interest now and we'll contact you near to the date
stated. 26.5Mb download
10.0Mb upload 31-March-2012

Looks like by end of March next year ! we'll see.........

Dave.

Old December 5th 11, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Dave" wrote in message ...

BT Infinity Fibre optic broadband
We're rolling out our fibre optic network to bring you faster speeds of up
to 40Mb. Register your interest now and we'll contact you near to the date
stated. 26.5Mb download
10.0Mb upload 31-March-2012

That was what BT site gave me last time I looked with the 1st Dec given.
Now on Monday 6th Dec it proves to be accurate.

I have asked my ISP, Be Unlimited to comment if they can use this FTTC as
apparently other ISPs can from a reply above.
I have a BB/Anytime phone package.
First glance shows me.
BT do not seem to do this only weekends/evenings, and at higher cost than I
pay now and a connection charge..
Plusnet how ever do but a download limit but about same cost I pay now no
connection charge.
Any other names of ISPs you know of who will use this FTTC, preferably ones
with good customer service?

I'm on a 3 month notice with Be so at worse case I would loose 3 months
money I assume to change, or as anyone done this and can suggest lowest cost
way, should I decide to move, do not want to jump too soon as I would be on
18 month contract? (As a reply above said I'm on a good speed now and many
would love what I got now).
Regards
David