Slow broadband is such a pain

Old December 6th 11, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Jay

Default Slow broadband is such a pain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16038102:

----- Begin Quote -----

Twenty-five-year-old Hayley Gaffney is one of around 200 people taking
part in the Cornwall trial.

Until she got the 4G broadband she was only getting speeds of just
over 1Mbps.

"The internet was an absolute nightmare," she says. "It just kept
crashing because it was so slow."

However, since joining the trial her broadband speed has jumped to
more than 11Mbps.

"The internet really is amazing to what it was before," says Hayley.

"It was things like watching YouTube, uploading photos onto Facebook,
just uploading the news feed on Facebook, getting my emails without
getting them a few days later. Before it was so slow."

----- End Quote -----

Does sluggish broadband cause crashes and email to take "a few days"
to arrive?
--
Martin Jay
Old December 6th 11, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 06/12/2011 in message
Martin Jay wrote:

Does sluggish broadband cause crashes and email to take "a few days"
to arrive?

It may do if you're taking part in an advert/promotion :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it
Old December 6th 11, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 14:27:50 +0000, Martin Jay wrote:

[...]

I think it's interesting that when we discuss broadband we talk in terms
of speed, is it fast or slow. But really, the 11Mbs broadband in the
story is just as fast as 56k dialup.

Do the signals not travel at the speed of light in both cases?

Old December 6th 11, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 06/12/2011 14:27, Martin Jay wrote:
[...]

It may appear to cause a 'crash' in the uninitiated if Firefox brings up
a timeout error.

I heard more on this Hayley on the radio on the way home from work and
it appears she works from home. Why on earth does she need to watch
youTube and upload photos to Facebook for her job?
Old December 6th 11, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

chris wrote:

I heard more on this Hayley on the radio on the way home from work and
it appears she works from home. Why on earth does she need to watch
youTube and upload photos to Facebook for her job?

Do you REALLY want me to suggest an answer to that question?
Old December 6th 11, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 17:57:39 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Deux wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your input but as you haven't provided any sort of argument
I'll assume you're ignorant.

Old December 6th 11, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Deux wrote:
[...]

No, just terse.

The SIGNAL travels well below the speed of the carrier medium in the
same way a wave does NOT travel at the speed of spun in water.

A SIGNAL is information and in particular a quantity of information.

It was demostarted some years ago that a Boeing 747 full of DVDS was
faster than the internet to the USA *for that amount of data..*

And light and electricity do not travel at the speed of light in vacuuo
in all media, and the signals on them travel a lot slower

Old December 7th 11, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

chris wrote:

I heard more on this Hayley on the radio on the way home from work and
it appears she works from home. Why on earth does she need to watch
youTube and upload photos to Facebook for her job?

Do you REALLY want me to suggest an answer to that question?

Not really. It was kind of rhetorical.