DHCP reservation with VMDG280

Old December 6th 11, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Hills

Default DHCP reservation with VMDG280

Hi

I have a virgin media router, and I have heard somebody mention that for
some reason you cannot create a dhcp reservation for a mac address
starting with anything except '00'. That sounds a bit fanciful, but it's
the best explanation I have heard yet.

I have tried posting on their forum[1] but I have not yet had a reply.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Chris

[1]
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...80/m-p/895041/
Old December 7th 11, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Chris Hills (for it is he) wrote:

I have a virgin media router, and I have heard somebody mention that for
some reason you cannot create a dhcp reservation for a mac address
starting with anything except '00'. That sounds a bit fanciful, but it's
the best explanation I have heard yet.

Have you tried changing the first two digits to 00 to see if it accepts it?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...-cable/Cannot-

create-a-DHCP-reservation-VMDG280/m-p/895041/

Did you learn nothing from that classic banner advert?:

http://www.codehappy.net/ipaddress.htm

Haven't seen it for years but the mods decision to remove your screenshots
brought it all flooding back...

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:00:07 up 18 days, 3:00, 4 users, load average: 0.18, 0.17, 0.10

Old December 15th 11, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On 07/12/2011 20:05, alexd wrote:
Chris Hills (for it is he) wrote:

I have a virgin media router, and I have heard somebody mention that for
some reason you cannot create a dhcp reservation for a mac address
starting with anything except '00'. That sounds a bit fanciful, but it's
the best explanation I have heard yet.

Have you tried changing the first two digits to 00 to see if it accepts it?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...-cable/Cannot-

create-a-DHCP-reservation-VMDG280/m-p/895041/

Did you learn nothing from that classic banner advert?:

http://www.codehappy.net/ipaddress.htm

Haven't seen it for years but the mods decision to remove your screenshots
brought it all flooding back...

Underneath a screen shot of a DHCP reservation page from VM branded
Netgear router:

"DHCP reservation is not something we support, we will be unable to
advise you on this.
Mark_Wilco
Help & Support Forum Team"

Help & support?