Decent 4 port ADSL2+ G or N router

Old December 21st 11, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Cap

Default Decent 4 port ADSL2+ G or N router

My Netgear DG834GT is showing sign of giving up. Google seems to point
to failing caps but perhaps that's for later. All I'd like is good
reliability and fairly straight-forward menus.

Everything I look at has reviews that seem fairly balanced between great
and crap, with a scattering in between.

So the question is, does a really reliable box exist, with decent
wireless to reach around my semi and a good set up scheme?

Cheers
Old December 21st 11, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andy Cap wrote:
My Netgear DG834GT is showing sign of giving up. Google seems to point
to failing caps but perhaps that's for later. All I'd like is good
reliability and fairly straight-forward menus.

Everything I look at has reviews that seem fairly balanced between great
and crap, with a scattering in between.

So the question is, does a really reliable box exist, with decent
wireless to reach around my semi and a good set up scheme?

Cheers

the cheapest on the block is TP-LINK and allegedly its a sound piece of kit.

I've had issues with Belkin and Netgear, and more happiness with D-link
and Billion.

I've not tried Draytek.But they seem to come well regarded
Old December 21st 11, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Cap

the cheapest on the block is TP-LINK and allegedly its a sound piece of
kit.

Thanks for that. The reviews on Broadband buyer look pretty good for
the TD W8960N

Old December 21st 11, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Andy Cap wrote:
My Netgear DG834GT is showing sign of giving up. Google seems to point
to failing caps but perhaps that's for later. All I'd like is good
reliability and fairly straight-forward menus.

Everything I look at has reviews that seem fairly balanced between great
and crap, with a scattering in between.

So the question is, does a really reliable box exist, with decent
wireless to reach around my semi and a good set up scheme?

All the routers supplied by BT seem to have universally awful user
interfaces.

At one extreme I've used Edimax, at the other Draytek - both have
reasonable user interfaces. The Edimax lacks a "save configuration"
option. The Draytek are known for operating at more conservative ADSL
parameters to achieve connection reliability at the expense of speed.
Primarily I use Draytek for their VPN facility, if you don't need this
they are probably overkill.

As to wireless, fundamentally all wireless devices are the same, since
they are all subject to the same maximum power output limitations. So
in good conditions you won't see much variation in performance from one
make to another. Some restrict you to entering WEP keys in hex only
(Belkin and older 3Com devices) - this can be a real pain. Edimax
access points (can't speak for routers) will not allow your WPA key to
contain spaces or some punctuation characters when there's no such limit
laid down in any specification I've seen.

However where your wireless has to operate in a noisy environment
(multiple other wireless access points nearby, no clear channels) and it
has to reach through walls or other obstructions you might get better
performance with devices sporting multiple antennae. It also depends
how many clients you need to service and whether they are all modern
with fast processors - one rogue client can screw up wireless networking
for all the other clients.

If you want reliability, avoid wireless and fit cat5 cable.

--
Graham J

Old December 21st 11, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...
My Netgear DG834GT is showing sign of giving up. Google seems to point to
failing caps but perhaps that's for later. All I'd like is good
reliability and fairly straight-forward menus.

Everything I look at has reviews that seem fairly balanced between great
and crap, with a scattering in between.

So the question is, does a really reliable box exist, with decent wireless
to reach around my semi and a good set up scheme?

You cannot be sure of the coverage but the Netgear DGN2000 has given me very
good results. It has been running for 110 days non-stop. You can buy a
refurbished one on eBay for around 26 from istor. I have bought three so
far and am delighted with them as are the users. You need to update the
firmware with the rest of the world version rather than the USA version they
come with.

Peter Crosland

Old December 21st 11, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Cap

On 21/12/11 18:22, Peter Crosland wrote:

You cannot be sure of the coverage but the Netgear DGN2000 has given me very
good results. It has been running for 110 days non-stop. You can buy a
refurbished one on eBay for around 26 from istor. I have bought three so
far and am delighted with them as are the users. You need to update the
firmware with the rest of the world version rather than the USA version they
come with.

Peter Crosland

I think I'll give one of those a try. I do like the Netgear look and
setup and it has a wireless on/off switch I see. I've already downloaded
the FW in anticipation ! ;-)

Thanks

Andy C
Old December 21st 11, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On 21/12/11 18:22, Peter Crosland wrote:

You cannot be sure of the coverage but the Netgear DGN2000 has given me
very
good results. It has been running for 110 days non-stop. You can buy a
refurbished one on eBay for around 26 from istor. I have bought three so
far and am delighted with them as are the users. You need to update the
firmware with the rest of the world version rather than the USA version
they
come with.

Peter Crosland

I think I'll give one of those a try. I do like the Netgear look and setup
and it has a wireless on/off switch I see. I've already downloaded the FW
in anticipation ! ;-)

You can also use the DG Team firmware as an alternative. The download links
are

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2334

http://dgteam.ilbello.com/index.php?pid=17

This tells you a bit about the reasons for using the latter.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/dg834GT_targetsnr.htm

Peter Crosland

Old December 22nd 11, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:
So the question is, does a really reliable box exist, with decent
wireless to reach around my semi and a good set up scheme?

Cheers

the cheapest on the block is TP-LINK and allegedly its a sound piece of kit.

I've had issues with Belkin and Netgear, and more happiness with D-link
and Billion.

I've not tried Draytek.But they seem to come well regarded

So far I've used Draytek, Netgear (DG834, V3 and V4), several BT Voyagers
bought via Ebay, an Orange Livebox, and now a brand new Belkin F5D8636-4 v2
bought in PC World. Without any other changes to my system, the Belkin is
giving approximately double the download speed of all the others, and better
wireless coverage (even with wireless-g devices).

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old December 22nd 11, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Andy Cap wrote:
My Netgear DG834GT is showing sign of giving up. Google seems to point
to failing caps but perhaps that's for later. All I'd like is good
reliability and fairly straight-forward menus.

Everything I look at has reviews that seem fairly balanced between great
and crap, with a scattering in between.

So the question is, does a really reliable box exist, with decent
wireless to reach around my semi and a good set up scheme?

Cheers

the cheapest on the block is TP-LINK and allegedly its a sound piece of kit.

I have several TP-Link devices (WiFi router, two small gigabit
switches) and to date all have been good. The TP-Link support people
are helpful too.

I've had issues with Belkin and Netgear, and more happiness with D-link
and Billion.

I've not tried Draytek.But they seem to come well regarded

I have a Draytek 2820n here, works pretty well, though the web
interface is a bit arcan in places.

--
Chris Green