WPPLTD.DEMON.CO.UK - still up to date?

Old December 26th 11, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Default WPPLTD.DEMON.CO.UK - still up to date?

Hello all,

I Know Peter Parry used to be around these groups and hosts this site,
regarding specifically UK telephone wiring.

Tell me, is the info contained herein still up to date?

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

If Peter himself is still around perhaps he could comment?

Reason for asking, my folks broadbad is up the shoot. Router shows no
sync on any of the extensions in the house, but works in the test socket
on the BT master. All filters have been swapped etc, no effect. I
therefore diagnose a fault somewhere in the house.

Unless someone want to advise me different?

Thanks and regards
Jon Parker

Old December 26th 11, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 17:51:10 +0000, Jon wrote:

Hello all,

I Know Peter Parry used to be around these groups and hosts this site,
regarding specifically UK telephone wiring.

Tell me, is the info contained herein still up to date?

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

If Peter himself is still around perhaps he could comment?

Reason for asking, my folks broadbad is up the shoot. Router shows no
sync on any of the extensions in the house, but works in the test socket
on the BT master. All filters have been swapped etc, no effect. I
therefore diagnose a fault somewhere in the house.

Unless someone want to advise me different?

Thanks and regards
Jon Parker

Peter is around in theg uk.d-i-y newsgroup even if he might not follow
this one.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old December 26th 11, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Don

In ,
Roger Mills typed:

If it works in the test socket but not in any extensions, it pretty
certainly points to the extension wiring and/or equipment.

When did it stop working? Has anything changed - like plugging in any
unfiltered handsets or installing an alarm system? Do telephone
handsets work ok when plugged into extension sockets (with the master
faceplate fitted, of course)?

Does the extension wiring run under a carpet, and/or has it got damaged
anywhere on the cable runs within the house?

--
Don

Old December 26th 11, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 26/12/2011 17:51, Jon wrote:
[...]

Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.
Old December 26th 11, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 26/12/2011 19:36, Don wrote:
In ,
Roger typed:

If it works in the test socket but not in any extensions, it pretty
certainly points to the extension wiring and/or equipment.

When did it stop working? Has anything changed - like plugging in any
unfiltered handsets or installing an alarm system? Do telephone
handsets work ok when plugged into extension sockets (with the master
faceplate fitted, of course)?

Does the extension wiring run under a carpet, and/or has it got damaged
anywhere on the cable runs within the house?

....which is exactly what happened to mine - under a carpet, then up and
down through floorboards.
Old December 26th 11, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Jon" wrote in message

Reason for asking, my folks broadbad is up the shoot. Router shows no
sync on any of the extensions in the house, but works in the test socket
on the BT master. All filters have been swapped etc, no effect. I
therefore diagnose a fault somewhere in the house.

Take a spare router and known to be good filter with you is possible. Even
better if you can take a laptop known to work for testing purpose. The first
thing to try is by removing the faceplate from the NTE5 and plug the
router/modem into the test socket. If that works then it proves that the
fault is somewhere inside the house. Then it is a question of checking
systematically to isolate the fault. Don't change more than one thing at a
time because this can give misleading results.

Peter Crosland

Old December 26th 11, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

"Don" considered Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:36:42 -0000
the perfect time to write:

In ,
Roger Mills typed:

If it works in the test socket but not in any extensions, it pretty
certainly points to the extension wiring and/or equipment.

When did it stop working? Has anything changed - like plugging in any
unfiltered handsets or installing an alarm system? Do telephone
handsets work ok when plugged into extension sockets (with the master
faceplate fitted, of course)?

Does the extension wiring run under a carpet, and/or has it got damaged
anywhere on the cable runs within the house?

That reminds my of a problem I came across on an Ethernet network of
fairly ancient vintage.
It would die, repeatedly and predictably at 10:40 and 14:55 every day.
It was traced to a cable which had originally been run along an office
partition, but the partition was removed when the office was
reconfigured, and the cable run under the carpet instead.
The reconfiguration of the office meant that the carpet was laid
across what became the shortest route to the ladies toilet, and 5
minutes before tea-break, morning and afternoon, was peak traffic!
Stillettos and Ethernet don't mix.
Old December 26th 11, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:59:49 +0000, Peter Crosland wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message

Reason for asking, my folks broadbad is up the shoot. Router shows no
sync on any of the extensions in the house, but works in the test
socket on the BT master. All filters have been swapped etc, no effect.
I therefore diagnose a fault somewhere in the house.

Take a spare router and known to be good filter with you is possible.
Even better if you can take a laptop known to work for testing purpose.
The first thing to try is by removing the faceplate from the NTE5 and
plug the router/modem into the test socket.

Yes....which he's already done (see the bit you quoted!)

If that works then it proves
that the fault is somewhere inside the house. Then it is a question of
checking systematically to isolate the fault. Don't change more than one
thing at a time because this can give misleading results.

Good advice, though.