Tax chief's secret lunches with Vodafone and Goldman Sachs thenhanded them billions in tax breaks ...

Old January 4th 12, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
SB

Default Tax chief's secret lunches with Vodafone and Goldman Sachs thenhanded them billions in tax breaks ...

Our tax agency is letting big businesses like Goldman Sachs off
billions of pounds of tax. MPs have called for action, but the
government isn't responding. Let's boost their call and get the Prime
Minister to ensure the companies pay up. Sign now:

Our tax chief had secret lunches with Vodafone and Goldman Sachs and
then handed them billions in tax breaks – while keeping Parliament in
the dark!

MPs are outraged, claiming we are owed over 25 billion pounds in back
taxes from these and similar dodgy deals. But the tax agency has
blocked an inquiry into the scandal and refuses to release any
documents to shed light on why these tax breaks were ordered in the
first place.

By acting together now we can ensure full transparency on the Goldman
Sachs and Vodafone deals, and get them to pay the tax they owe. Let’s
turn up the heat -- sign the petition to David Cameron for tax justice
-- we’ll deliver it with a splash next week:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/goldman_sachs_pay_your_tax/?vl

The cosy relationship between the public tax authority and major
private companies is shocking: the tax agency boss had more than a
hundred lunches with big business tax lawyers and advisers, leading to
the companies being let off millions in taxes. The agency tried to
obstruct a recent Parliamentary inquiry using flimsy confidentiality
arguments, and threatened the whistleblower who helped expose the
scandal.

The coalition is weak and on the defensive over the economy and
several Conservative and Lib Dem MPs are fuming over these tax
revelations. But the government has yet to demand full payment. Only
public pressure can change Cameron's position and ensure that big
business stop manoeuvring and lobbying to minimise their tax bills,
and pay what they owe.

We should be able to trust our public tax body to be free of corporate
capture and able to recover taxes owed without fear or favour. Join
the call for tax justice -- click below to sign the petition:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/goldman_sachs_pay_your_tax/?vl

From Occupy to the G20, citizens across the world are coming together
to push back corporate interests, fight against dodgy deals corrupting
our governments and bring back transparency -- and the pressure is
working. Let's come together now and win tax justice for us all.

With hope,

Alex, Antonia, Emma, Nick, Mary, Rewan, Diego and the entire Avaaz
team

More information:

MPs attack HMRC’s ‘cosy’ deals with big business (BBC)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16253205

MPs say taxman "too cosy" with companies (Reuters)
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/1...7BJ03S20111220

The end of all take and no give (New Statesman)
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/th...s-public-firms

HMRC hid 'sweetheart' tax deals for big business, MPs say (The
Guardian)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...eart-tax-deals

Taxman targets small firms after sweetheart deals with big business
(Daily Mail)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Goldman Sachs’s Tax Rate Drops to 1% (Bloomberg)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a6bQVsZS2_18
Old January 4th 12, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 04/01/2012 11:53, SB wrote:
[a load of political crap]

Please don't post your stuff in here - it's bad enough with trolls already!