Has the world gone sane?

Old January 5th 12, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DDS

Default Has the world gone sane?

Is this "political correctness, gone sensible" for once?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16423278
Old January 5th 12, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Di Saudelli

Many apologies - sent in error (I must learn this new client);
cancelling the message doesn't seem to have worked.
Old January 5th 12, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 10:48:06 +0000
Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:

On 05/01/12 10:44, DDS wrote:

Many apologies - sent in error (I must learn this new client);
cancelling the message doesn't seem to have worked.

It won't. Once it's out there, it's out there.
--
Davey.
Old January 5th 12, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DDS

Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:

On 05/01/12 10:44, DDS wrote:

Many apologies - sent in error (I must learn this new client);
cancelling the message doesn't seem to have worked.

It won't. Once it's out there, it's out there.

Indeed - I hoped I had sent the cancellation command to the originating
server sufficiently soon after posting i.e. before the message got
promulgated onwards to other NNTPs; but I realised it was probably in vain.
Old January 5th 12, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:

On 05/01/12 10:44, DDS wrote:

Many apologies - sent in error (I must learn this new client);
cancelling the message doesn't seem to have worked.

It won't. Once it's out there, it's out there.

Indeed - I hoped I had sent the cancellation command to the
originating server sufficiently soon after posting i.e. before the
message got promulgated onwards to other NNTPs; but I realised it was
probably in vain.

Most servers won't honour cancellation requests, basically to prevent
some ne'er-do-well from blanking out whole groups of messages.
--
Davey.
Old January 5th 12, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DDS

On 05/01/12 11:12, Davey wrote:
Most servers won't honour cancellation requests, basically to prevent
some ne'er-do-well from blanking out whole groups of messages.

Ah ... understood. In which case, I'd better start learning to pay
attention - thanks for this feedback.

Old January 5th 12, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:18:01 +0000
DDS wrote:

On 05/01/12 11:12, Davey wrote:
Most servers won't honour cancellation requests, basically to
prevent some ne'er-do-well from blanking out whole groups of
messages.

Ah ... understood. In which case, I'd better start learning to pay
attention - thanks for this feedback.

Been there, done that. So now I use Thunderbird for e-mail, and
Clawsmail for News. It's harder to get things mixed up that way.
--
Davey.
Old January 5th 12, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

wrote:

On 05/01/12 11:12, Davey wrote:
Most servers won't honour cancellation requests, basically to
prevent some ne'er-do-well from blanking out whole groups of
messages.

Ah ... understood. In which case, I'd better start learning to pay
attention - thanks for this feedback.

Been there, done that. So now I use Thunderbird for e-mail, and
Clawsmail for News. It's harder to get things mixed up that way.

Interestingly, I never saw (and still can't see) the OP - only replies
to it. So maybe the cancel request did work? I'm on the
eternal-september NNTP server...
Old January 5th 12, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

On 05/01/12 11:12, Davey wrote:
Most servers won't honour cancellation requests, basically to
prevent some ne'er-do-well from blanking out whole groups of
messages.

Ah ... understood. In which case, I'd better start learning to pay
attention - thanks for this feedback.

Been there, done that. So now I use Thunderbird for e-mail, and
Clawsmail for News. It's harder to get things mixed up that way.

Interestingly, I never saw (and still can't see) the OP - only replies
to it. So maybe the cancel request did work? I'm on the
eternal-september NNTP server...

It probably did.

Cancel request are validated hints to the news servers to remove a post,
not necessarily to remove follow ups to it..

Old January 5th 12, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

wrote:

On 05/01/12 11:12, Davey wrote:
Most servers won't honour cancellation requests, basically to
prevent some ne'er-do-well from blanking out whole groups of
messages.

Ah ... understood. In which case, I'd better start learning to pay
attention - thanks for this feedback.

Been there, done that. So now I use Thunderbird for e-mail, and
Clawsmail for News. It's harder to get things mixed up that way.

Interestingly, I never saw (and still can't see) the OP - only replies
to it. So maybe the cancel request did work? I'm on the
eternal-september NNTP server...

It probably did.

Cancel request are validated hints to the news servers to remove a post,
not necessarily to remove follow ups to it..

Yes, I understand that. I was commenting on the theme that cancellation
requests 'don't work'.