What's involved in installing cable?

Old January 7th 12, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

Default What's involved in installing cable?

I've ordered cable from Virgin Media. To the best of my knowledge the
previous occupants had cable so the cabling should all be there so
hopefully there won't be any digging up the garden.

I have no idea where it enters my house though, will it connect through
the same place as my BT phone line or somewhere else?

Will Virgin give me a free cable router as part of the installation?
Does the engineer do any sort of set up on my computer?

Old January 7th 12, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 07/01/2012 22:26, Deux wrote:
I've ordered cable from Virgin Media. To the best of my knowledge the
previous occupants had cable so the cabling should all be there so
hopefully there won't be any digging up the garden.

I have no idea where it enters my house though, will it connect through
the same place as my BT phone line or somewhere else?

Will Virgin give me a free cable router as part of the installation?
Does the engineer do any sort of set up on my computer?

I've absolutely no idea - but nor would I have placed an order before
getting answers to these questions!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old January 7th 12, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Deux wrote:

I've ordered cable from Virgin Media. To the best of my knowledge the
previous occupants had cable so the cabling should all be there so
hopefully there won't be any digging up the garden.

From wandering around cabled areas, any "digging" that Virgin do seems
to be limited to a depth of about 2" to conceal the cable, alternatively
they stuff it into cracks in the pavement, or just leave it exposed ...

Old January 7th 12, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Roger Mills wrote:
On 07/01/2012 22:26, Deux wrote:
I've ordered cable from Virgin Media. To the best of my knowledge the
previous occupants had cable so the cabling should all be there so
hopefully there won't be any digging up the garden.

I have no idea where it enters my house though, will it connect through
the same place as my BT phone line or somewhere else?

wherever it comes in..its quite separate.

Will Virgin give me a free cable router as part of the installation?

IIRC a modem only used to be the order of the day but that may have changed

Does the engineer do any sort of set up on my computer?

Unlikely
Old January 7th 12, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Deux wrote:
I've ordered cable from Virgin Media. To the best of my knowledge the
previous occupants had cable so the cabling should all be there so
hopefully there won't be any digging up the garden.

I have no idea where it enters my house though, will it connect through
the same place as my BT phone line or somewhere else?

The termination box inside your house will have an F connector, like a
satellite cable connector. If you've got one of those, then that's where
the modem will have to be connected. It has nothing to do with your BT
line so needn't be anywhere near it.

Will Virgin give me a free cable router as part of the installation?
Does the engineer do any sort of set up on my computer?

You'll probable get a "Superhub", which is a cable modem and wireless
router in the same box. Make sure the engineer fits a long enough cable to
allow a reasonable amount of freedom to position it for best wireless
reception. He shouldn't touch your computer at all. The wireless
connection details are printed on the label on the back of the Superhub,
though the default settings are not ideal for all devices, so make sure
you have an ethernet cable to make a direct connection to change them.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old January 8th 12, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 22:50:42 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

I've absolutely no idea - but nor would I have placed an order before
getting answers to these questions!

Good for you. I don't really mind what Virgin need to do which is why I
already placed an order, I just need to know what sort of preparation I
should do before the engineer arrives.

As long as the engineer doesn't take a **** in the sink whilst he's here
I can be rather flexible in order to get 10x faster broadband.

Old January 8th 12, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 18:16:40 -0600, Deux wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 22:50:42 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

I've absolutely no idea - but nor would I have placed an order before
getting answers to these questions!

Good for you. I don't really mind what Virgin need to do which is why I
already placed an order, I just need to know what sort of preparation I
should do before the engineer arrives.

As long as the engineer doesn't take a **** in the sink whilst he's here
I can be rather flexible in order to get 10x faster broadband.

There is usually a plastic connection box on the front wall of the
house. Is there a cellar? sometimes the box is there. The actual cable
from the street is of shotgun cross-section with one "bore" wider than
the other; it's quite distinctive.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 8th 12, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Deux wrote:

I've ordered cable from Virgin Media. To the best of my
knowledge the
previous occupants had cable so the cabling should all be
there so
hopefully there won't be any digging up the garden.

From wandering around cabled areas, any "digging" that Virgin
do seems to be limited to a depth of about 2" to conceal the
cable, alternatively they stuff it into cracks in the pavement,
or just leave it exposed ...

I know this will be unpopular, but I must spring to the defence
of VM. In the main they are not responsible for the existing
cable infrastructure, that was installed many moons ago by the
area cable providers even before they started getting taken over
and eventually ending in either the NTL or Telewest pots. Agreed
contractors for VM do install new feeds from exiting
infrastructure to buildings that want to come 'on line' such as
the OP but its only the last bit from the pavement to the house,
the main trunking already being in place.

There has been no expansion to the existing cable infrastructure
for some years now - and I'm talking for getting on for the
better part of a decade.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 8th 12, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Woody" wrote in message ...

There has been no expansion to the existing cable infrastructure
for some years now - and I'm talking for getting on for the
better part of a decade.

--
I thought that they had to provide access to every home when the permission
to be a cable supplier given, I think the number and areas may well have

Old January 8th 12, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , David wrote:
I thought that they had to provide access to every home when the permission
to be a cable supplier given, I think the number and areas may well have
been like the original ITV regions.
Did the Government not write the agreements correctly?
Is it Ofcom being weak again?
You can see streets that have had houses built after the original cable
layers have been and can't get connected. Ends up now with half a street
can and half can't. This is in Cities, and I suppose rural people loose
out completely.

I live in an unadopted road and apparently this makes it impossible for cable
companies to supply services without getting every householder to sign a legal
form. Despite several changes of ownership of the cable companies since cable
became available in my area, nobody has made any effort to achieve this.

Many years ago when it all started, some of us received visits from sales
reps, initially expressed an interest and even signed up for a trial period,
only to get a letter a few weeks later informing us that they couldn't supply
the services for the aforementioned reason. Since then, all the cable
companies have regularly sent leaflets trying to persuade us how wonderful the
services are, but nobody has come round trying to persuade anyone to sign the
necessary forms.

Currently I have a good 10Mb/s ADSL service, so unless someone can offer me
something which is either better or cheaper than what I've got, and at least
as reliable, I have no reason to want to change. As long as the companies that
provide such services are only driven by commercial obligations rather than
legal ones, I don't suppose they'll make any effort to change either.

Rod.