BT Infinity - speed

Old January 11th 12, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DIYer

Default BT Infinity - speed

My father in law was tempted by the 35Mb predicted speed and so had BT
Infinity installed today. It reached 6.6Mb. That might seem a little slow
but is a huge performance hike on the 0.9Mb he had before on BT Broadband.

Something that doesn't sit right with me about the installation, though, is
that the BT bod plugged the hub into a downstairs extension socket and not
the master socket that is upstairs on the end of the black BT drop wire. Is
there anything in this or am I just proving that I don't know what I'm
talking about?

Thanks for any feedback.

Old January 11th 12, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

DIYer wrote:

My father in law was tempted by the 35Mb predicted speed and so had BT
Infinity installed today. It reached 6.6Mb. That might seem a little slow
but is a huge performance hike on the 0.9Mb he had before on BT Broadband.

Still a tad disappointing.

Something that doesn't sit right with me about the installation, though, is
that the BT bod plugged the hub into a downstairs extension socket and not
the master socket that is upstairs on the end of the black BT drop wire. Is
there anything in this or am I just proving that I don't know what I'm
talking about?

AFAIK, the bod should fit a VDSL specific faceplate to the master
socket, and the router should connect to that ... is it possible he
re-routed the incoming line to what used to be the downstairs extension,
and then routed an extension back upstairs to what used to be the master?

Old January 11th 12, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DIYer

AFAIK, the bod should fit a VDSL specific faceplate to the master socket,
and the router should connect to that ... is it possible he re-routed the
incoming line to what used to be the downstairs extension, and then routed
an extension back upstairs to what used to be the master?

Nope. What the bod simply did, was to change the faceplate on the extension
socket and plug the hub into that. He didn't change any wiring or run new
wires anywhere. We expected some form of new wiring to / from the master
socket to the room with the extension socket, and actually lifted floor
boards and drilled holes through the ceiling / coving to make the bod's life
easier. But he didn't make any use of it.

Regarding speed, the bod did mutter something about the burglar alarm being
wired into the master socket and said that this would knock the speed back.

Old January 11th 12, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:48:46 -0000, "DIYer"
wrote:

My father in law was tempted by the 35Mb predicted speed and so had BT
Infinity installed today. It reached 6.6Mb. That might seem a little slow
but is a huge performance hike on the 0.9Mb he had before on BT Broadband.

Something that doesn't sit right with me about the installation, though, is
that the BT bod plugged the hub into a downstairs extension socket and not
the master socket that is upstairs on the end of the black BT drop wire. Is
there anything in this or am I just proving that I don't know what I'm
talking about?

Thanks for any feedback.

That doesn't sound right to me either.
Just to confirm, are you saying that:

1) The master socket faceplate has not been changed for one that has a
phone socket and RJ11 socket.

2) The router is plugged into the existing extention socket, so the
cable to the router has an RG11 at the router end and a BT plug at the
socket end?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 11th 12, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

DIYer wrote:

What the bod simply did, was to change the faceplate on the extension
socket and plug the hub into that.

I'd be talking to the ISP about not having got a proper installation, is
he actually with BT as his ISP (as the name Infinity implies) or another
of the FTTC providers?

Old January 11th 12, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:14:38 -0000, "DIYer"
wrote:

AFAIK, the bod should fit a VDSL specific faceplate to the master socket,
and the router should connect to that ... is it possible he re-routed the
incoming line to what used to be the downstairs extension, and then routed
an extension back upstairs to what used to be the master?

Nope. What the bod simply did, was to change the faceplate on the extension
socket and plug the hub into that. He didn't change any wiring or run new
wires anywhere. We expected some form of new wiring to / from the master
socket to the room with the extension socket, and actually lifted floor
boards and drilled holes through the ceiling / coving to make the bod's life
easier. But he didn't make any use of it.

Regarding speed, the bod did mutter something about the burglar alarm being
wired into the master socket and said that this would knock the speed back.

Ok, but he might have used the existing cable and connected it to the
filtered side of the VDSL plate.
Did he tell you to only plug the router into the extention socket and
not a phone as well.

As for the burgular alarm, one wonders why he didn't connect that to
the filtered side as well.
Is the alarm connection Red care, or an auto-dialler that dials a
number?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 11th 12, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 11/01/2012 21:48, DIYer wrote:
My father in law was tempted by the 35Mb predicted speed and so had BT
Infinity installed today. It reached 6.6Mb. That might seem a little slow
but is a huge performance hike on the 0.9Mb he had before on BT Broadband.

Something that doesn't sit right with me about the installation, though, is
that the BT bod plugged the hub into a downstairs extension socket and not
the master socket that is upstairs on the end of the black BT drop wire. Is
there anything in this or am I just proving that I don't know what I'm
talking about?

Thanks for any feedback.

ISTR (BCBW) there is a variant of home wiring specifically done by BT
that makes all sockets on the install masters?

--
Adrian C

Old January 11th 12, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

What the bod simply did, was to change the faceplate on the extension
socket and plug the hub into that.

Ok, but he might have used the existing cable and connected it to the
filtered side of the VDSL plate.
Did he tell you to only plug the router into the extention socket and
not a phone as well.

Surely he must have swapped the actual extension faceplate for an NTE5,
how could the VDSL faceplate fit into an extension?

Your father should have this

http://cdn.cupofcoffee.co.uk/wp-cont...te-300x225.jpg

which is considerably thicker than a normal faceplate or an ADSL faceplate

http://cdn.cupofcoffee.co.uk/wp-cont...le-300x225.jpg

Old January 11th 12, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:44:27 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

What the bod simply did, was to change the faceplate on the extension
socket and plug the hub into that.

Ok, but he might have used the existing cable and connected it to the
filtered side of the VDSL plate.
Did he tell you to only plug the router into the extention socket and
not a phone as well.

Surely he must have swapped the actual extension faceplate for an NTE5,
how could the VDSL faceplate fit into an extension?

Your father should have this

http://cdn.cupofcoffee.co.uk/wp-cont...te-300x225.jpg

which is considerably thicker than a normal faceplate or an ADSL faceplate

http://cdn.cupofcoffee.co.uk/wp-cont...le-300x225.jpg

Yes it appears it was changed according to his post at 2213.

Do you know if VDSL plates are similar to ADSL ones, ie crone
terminals for POTS and a remote router socket, and if so would you
expect an RJ11 outlet to be installed at the remote location?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 12th 12, 07:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DIYer

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
DIYer wrote:

What the bod simply did, was to change the faceplate on the extension
socket and plug the hub into that.

I'd be talking to the ISP about not having got a proper installation, is
he actually with BT as his ISP (as the name Infinity implies) or another
of the FTTC providers?

It is all BT since they are the only provider at the exchange. This is
rural Cornwall, I'm afraid!