Google Public DNS

Old January 13th 12, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Second Stage Lensman

Default Google Public DNS

Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any comments? Any
drawbacks?

Old January 13th 12, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Second Stage Lensman wrote:
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any comments?
Any drawbacks?

No: I run my own

trivial if you have linux..
Old January 13th 12, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:07:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Second Stage Lensman wrote:
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any comments?
Any drawbacks?

No: I run my own

trivial if you have linux..

Forwarders set to where?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 14th 12, 07:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark BR

"Second Stage Lensman" wrote in message
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any comments?
Any drawbacks?

Do you want to give Google the potential to know even more about you?

I did try it, and OpenDNS. No better and no worse than from my ISP. Does
sometimes have a slight advantage if your ISP is blocking certain sites, ie
it helps in Thailand to circumvent their attempt at censorship.

--
Mark BR

Old January 14th 12, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nucking Futs

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:07:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher churned:

Second Stage Lensman wrote:
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any
comments? Any drawbacks?

No: I run my own

trivial if you have linux..

But dangerous in the hands of the group idiot - an award you win each
year, usually by the end of January.
Old January 14th 12, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nucking Futs

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:57:02 +0000, Graham. churned:

wrote:

Second Stage Lensman wrote:
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any
comments? Any drawbacks?

No: I run my own

trivial if you have linux..

Forwarders set to where?

In the Muppets defence, you don't need to have forwarders set to
anything. DNS is distributed and typically has a hints/root server file.
The normal process of recursion will nail it with no forwarder being
required.
Old January 14th 12, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Second Stage Lensman wrote:
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any comments?
Any drawbacks?

No: I run my own

trivial if you have linux..

Forwarders set to where?

eh? what forwarders?
Old January 14th 12, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Second Stage Lensman wrote:
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any
comments? Any drawbacks?

No: I run my own

trivial if you have linux..

But dangerous in the hands of the group idiot - an award you win each
year, usually by the end of January.

I love your way of being completely wrong as well as insulting in every
post you write.

I was setting up name servers before the internet existed in the UK.

I was setting up nameservers for thousands of customers when it was.

In general a distro installation of BIND will net you a full working
root accessing caching nameserver with no actual configuration required.

I happen to add things to mine for developing test websites - its handy
to be able to have the network here go to a private place to test a new
website before its exposed to the public gaze, but, since I know exactly
what I am doing its no big deal. And, since its only my network that can
see this server, its only 'dangerous' to my users.

Which, if you knew anything whatsoever about DNS, you would know.

Proving once again that your are as ignorant as you are egregious.

If anyone actually needed the proof.

Old January 14th 12, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Second Stage Lensman wrote:
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any
comments? Any drawbacks?
No: I run my own

trivial if you have linux..

Forwarders set to where?

In the Muppets defence, you don't need to have forwarders set to
anything. DNS is distributed and typically has a hints/root server file.
The normal process of recursion will nail it with no forwarder being
required.

Golly. You must have looked that up.
Old January 14th 12, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:

Second Stage Lensman wrote:
Anyone using Google Public DNS instead of their ISP ones - any
comments? Any drawbacks?

No: I run my own

trivial if you have linux..

Forwarders set to where?

Why have forwarders? I don't. And I also serve my own DNS records.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org