Wikipedia

Old January 18th 12, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Default Wikipedia

What's the point of the 24 hour outage when every page is cached by
Google?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 18th 12, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Graham. wrote:

What's the point of the 24 hour outage when every page is cached by
Google?

Or you can disable javascript

or press ESC before the blackout obscures the page

or use m.wikipedia.org instead of en.wikipedia.org

I agree, just returning an error 503 for the whole site would be more
effective.
Old January 18th 12, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:01:45 +0000, Graham. wrote:

What's the point of the 24 hour outage when every page is cached by
Google?

It got the publicity, didn't it?
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old January 19th 12, 06:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Woodhouse

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 22:01 +0000, Graham. wrote:
What's the point of the 24 hour outage when every page is cached by
Google?

Anyone with half a clue already *knew* how problematic the bills in
front of the US Congress are. And they aren't massively inconvenienced
by the "outage".

The point of the blackout was to bring it to the attention of those who
*aren't* so clued-in. And it's been very effective at that.

Ironically, I've used Wikipedia more today than I had done for ages
before that.

Old January 20th 12, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim....

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Graham. wrote:

What's the point of the 24 hour outage when every page is cached by
Google?

Or you can disable javascript

Oh is that how they did it?

I assumed that they were going to turn their servers off so I didn't bother
to go there for the day]

tim

Old January 23rd 12, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Walliker

On Jan 20, 7:19*pm, "tim...." wrote:

Or you can disable javascript

Oh is that how they did it?

They deliberately didn't make it difficult to by-pass. The message
that came up on the day explained - near the bottom of the page - that
the block could be avoided by disabling Javascript. They stated that
they didn't want to inconvenience their users too much - just ensure
that the message got read.

John
Old January 24th 12, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 01:20:40 -0800 (PST), John Walliker
wrote:

On Jan 20, 7:19*pm, "tim...." wrote:

Or you can disable javascript

Oh is that how they did it?

They deliberately didn't make it difficult to by-pass. The message
that came up on the day explained - near the bottom of the page - that
the block could be avoided by disabling Javascript. They stated that
they didn't want to inconvenience their users too much - just ensure
that the message got read.

Since I have scripts disabled by default I never saw the message at
all.
--
(\__/) M.