ADSL reliability problem

Old January 21st 12, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Reynolds

Default ADSL reliability problem

Over the last few weeks I have experienced unreliability on my ADSL
connection, usually causing it to drop repeatedly - often several times
over the course of an hour. However, when this is not happening, it
stays up quite happily. There were no problems in previous years either.

It seems that the problem only occurs in cold, dry conditions - in the
recent heavy rain it stood firm. I have replaced my central filter this
morning, purely as a precaution, not expecting it to make a difference.

Is there anything I should mention when reporting this problem that
might get the right action taken?

--
Phil Reynolds
mail:
Old January 21st 12, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Over the last few weeks I have experienced unreliability on my ADSL
connection, usually causing it to drop repeatedly - often several times
over the course of an hour. However, when this is not happening, it
stays up quite happily. There were no problems in previous years either.

It seems that the problem only occurs in cold, dry conditions - in the
recent heavy rain it stood firm. I have replaced my central filter this
morning, purely as a precaution, not expecting it to make a difference.

Is there anything I should mention when reporting this problem that
might get the right action taken?

its likely enough interference from someone's heating..

Almost nothing the ISP can do about it
Old January 21st 12, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Phil Reynolds" wrote in message
Over the last few weeks I have experienced unreliability on my ADSL
connection, usually causing it to drop repeatedly - often several times
over the course of an hour. However, when this is not happening, it
stays up quite happily. There were no problems in previous years either.

It seems that the problem only occurs in cold, dry conditions - in the
recent heavy rain it stood firm. I have replaced my central filter this
morning, purely as a precaution, not expecting it to make a difference.

Is there anything I should mention when reporting this problem that
might get the right action taken?

The first thing to do is to eliminate any faults with your wiring or
equipment. This is a useful source of the steps you need to take. The secret
is to be methodical and not to alter more than one thing at a time.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Peter Crosland

Old January 21st 12, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Over the last few weeks I have experienced unreliability on my ADSL
connection, usually causing it to drop repeatedly - often several times
over the course of an hour. However, when this is not happening, it
stays up quite happily. There were no problems in previous years either.

It seems that the problem only occurs in cold, dry conditions - in the
recent heavy rain it stood firm. I have replaced my central filter this
morning, purely as a precaution, not expecting it to make a difference.

Is there anything I should mention when reporting this problem that
might get the right action taken?

Monitor the router - does is show that the PPP connection drops and the
ADLS remains synchronised? Or does it show loss of sync and its
attempts at re-synchroning? If ADSL sync is maintained but the PPP
session drops, then tell the ISP exactly that. If they don't
understand, change ISP.

Do all the usual stuff that the ISP will ask you: connect router direct
to test point in master socket; disconnect all other phones, answering
machines, alarm systems and the like; try a different router; listen for
noise (BT quiet line test). If the line is audibly noisy, report it to
your voice service provider and don't mention broadband - it will only
confuse them!

Set up routerstats to monitor the SNR margin and data rate. Note what
happens in the few minutes before the connection drops - do you see a
change in SNR margin?

Tune an AM radio to an empty channel at about 600kHz and listen
continuously. Do you hear a significant increase in noise at the same
time as the ADSL connection drops? If so try to identify where this
noise comes from.

A good ISP will discuss all this with you and will do their best to
resolve the problem.

--
Graham J
Old January 21st 12, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Reynolds

On 21/01/12 10:41, Graham J wrote:
Monitor the router - does is show that the PPP connection drops and the
ADLS remains synchronised? Or does it show loss of sync and its
attempts at re-synchroning? If ADSL sync is maintained but the PPP
session drops, then tell the ISP exactly that. If they don't
understand, change ISP.

I'm losing sync when it happens.

Do all the usual stuff that the ISP will ask you: connect router direct
to test point in master socket; disconnect all other phones, answering
machines, alarm systems and the like;

No difference.

try a different router;

That's going to be a bit of an "ouch!" but it is the next thing I will
try... sometime when I can manage with what I can get out of another one.

listen for noise (BT quiet line test). If the line is audibly noisy, report it to
your voice service provider and don't mention broadband - it will only
confuse them!

Some noise noticed on a call on the BT line at the time yesterday -
normally none audible. Will try reporting on that basis I think.

Set up routerstats to monitor the SNR margin and data rate. Note what
happens in the few minutes before the connection drops - do you see a
change in SNR margin?

Not sure I have a means to do that.

Tune an AM radio to an empty channel at about 600kHz and listen
continuously. Do you hear a significant increase in noise at the same
time as the ADSL connection drops? If so try to identify where this
noise comes from.

Hmmm... good point - will see what I can rig up for this.

A good ISP will discuss all this with you and will do their best to
resolve the problem.

I do have the choice of changing now - and am thinking of one with a
good reputation on this point.

Old January 21st 12, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Reynolds

Following up myself:
On 21/01/12 10:41, Graham J wrote:
Tune an AM radio to an empty channel at about 600kHz and listen
continuously. Do you hear a significant increase in noise at the same
time as the ADSL connection drops? If so try to identify where this
noise comes from.

Hmmm... good point - will see what I can rig up for this.

AM reception is impossible here due to constant interference - so there
is no empty channel, effectively.

Old January 21st 12, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Following up myself:
On 21/01/12 10:41, Graham J wrote:
Tune an AM radio to an empty channel at about 600kHz and listen
continuously. Do you hear a significant increase in noise at the same
time as the ADSL connection drops? If so try to identify where this
noise comes from.

Hmmm... good point - will see what I can rig up for this.

AM reception is impossible here due to constant interference - so there
is no empty channel, effectively.

OK that in itself may indicate the nature of the problem.
Geographically where are you? Near any industrial noise sources?

-- Graham J

Old January 21st 12, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip]

Set up routerstats to monitor the SNR margin and data rate. Note what
happens in the few minutes before the connection drops - do you see a
change in SNR margin?

Not sure I have a means to do that.

Do you have a PC? Or a Mac?

See http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

Read through - find the version for your computer and router.

If you don't have a router that will work with it, then try to borrow
one ... ask here, and say where you are.

--
Graham J

Old January 21st 12, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Phil Reynolds
wrote
Following up myself:
On 21/01/12 10:41, Graham J wrote:
Tune an AM radio to an empty channel at about 600kHz and listen
continuously. Do you hear a significant increase in noise at the same
time as the ADSL connection drops? If so try to identify where this
noise comes from.

Hmmm... good point - will see what I can rig up for this.

AM reception is impossible here due to constant interference - so there
is no empty channel, effectively.

Remove the bell wire ?? It could be acting as an aerial picking up AM
interference.

Old January 21st 12, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:00:12 +0000, Phil Reynolds
wrote:

Following up myself:
On 21/01/12 10:41, Graham J wrote:
Tune an AM radio to an empty channel at about 600kHz and listen
continuously. Do you hear a significant increase in noise at the same
time as the ADSL connection drops? If so try to identify where this
noise comes from.

Hmmm... good point - will see what I can rig up for this.

AM reception is impossible here due to constant interference - so there
is no empty channel, effectively.

It's the interference you are listening for. If it increases when your
ADSL fails you can use the radio to localise the interference. It's a
bit of an Heath Robinson method but it works.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com