Home network help

Old January 22nd 12, 09:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DIYer

Default Home network help

It was some while ago but one of the regulars here produced a helpful guide
to sharing printers on a Win XP home network. Was it Jeff Gaines? And would
they both still be around?

Old January 22nd 12, 10:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:32:56 -0000
"DIYer" wrote:

It was some while ago but one of the regulars here produced a helpful
guide to sharing printers on a Win XP home network. Was it Jeff
Gaines? And would they both still be around?

Enable file and printer sharing. Share the printer. Add network
printer to other machines.
Make sure everyone has the same user name and password on each machine.
Disable the firewalls until you get it working.
Re-enable the firewalls and hope it still works.
Or something like that - I think there's a blood sacrifice, some sacred
herbs to burn and an incantation too.

Old January 23rd 12, 06:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hermit

"DIYer" wrote:

It was some while ago but one of the regulars here produced a helpful
guide to sharing printers on a Win XP home network. Was it Jeff
Gaines? And would they both still be around?

Enable file and printer sharing. Share the printer. Add network
printer to other machines.
Make sure everyone has the same user name and password on each machine.
Disable the firewalls until you get it working.
Re-enable the firewalls and hope it still works.
Or something like that - I think there's a blood sacrifice, some sacred
herbs to burn and an incantation too.

I think that last bit only applies to Linux installations ;-)

Old January 23rd 12, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:20:50 -0000
"Hermit" wrote:

news:[email protected]

"DIYer" wrote:

It was some while ago but one of the regulars here produced a
helpful guide to sharing printers on a Win XP home network. Was it
Jeff Gaines? And would they both still be around?

Enable file and printer sharing. Share the printer. Add network
printer to other machines.
Make sure everyone has the same user name and password on each
machine. Disable the firewalls until you get it working.
Re-enable the firewalls and hope it still works.
Or something like that - I think there's a blood sacrifice, some
sacred herbs to burn and an incantation too.

I think that last bit only applies to Linux installations ;-)

No, IME they generally go without a hitch, it's the Windows stuff that
often seems to need mysterious tweaks and sometimes just doesn't work
for no discernible reason.

Old January 23rd 12, 06:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Howard Neil

On 23/01/2012 17:30, Rob Morley wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:20:50 -0000
wrote:

news:[email protected]

wrote:

It was some while ago but one of the regulars here produced a
helpful guide to sharing printers on a Win XP home network. Was it
Jeff Gaines? And would they both still be around?

Enable file and printer sharing. Share the printer. Add network
printer to other machines.
Make sure everyone has the same user name and password on each
machine. Disable the firewalls until you get it working.
Re-enable the firewalls and hope it still works.
Or something like that - I think there's a blood sacrifice, some
sacred herbs to burn and an incantation too.

I think that last bit only applies to Linux installations ;-)

No, IME they generally go without a hitch, it's the Windows stuff that
often seems to need mysterious tweaks and sometimes just doesn't work
for no discernible reason.

If that is Windows 7, make sure that the printer name is no more than 8
alpha numerical characters. It seems that Win 7 has dropped back to DOS
as far as printers are concerned.

--
Howard Neil