Slow ADSL - how to get a new phone socket

Old January 26th 12, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

Default Slow ADSL - how to get a new phone socket

I'm in self contained rented offices. The telephone wiring comes to
me via a torturous route and I have no idea where the master socket is
but may well be in an adjacent building.

My broadband speeds are appalling even allowing for the fact that I'm
a long way from the exchange. Stats a

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 768 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 57.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 6.0 db 14 db

My BRAS profile shows I'm on ADSL500 with a Sync rate of 576.

Other folk in the area are getting better than 1Mbit/s.

The phone lines and cabinet are fairly close to the office. What is
my best argument for a new connection point which I am sure would
alleviate this problem?

I can't even watch those small newsclips on the BBC without
encoutering "Insufficient bandwidth" and iPlayer, YouTube are
impossible.

--
AnthonyL
Old January 26th 12, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 26/01/2012 12:29, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm in self contained rented offices. The telephone wiring comes to
me via a torturous route and I have no idea where the master socket is
but may well be in an adjacent building.

My broadband speeds are appalling even allowing for the fact that I'm
a long way from the exchange. Stats a

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 768 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 57.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 6.0 db 14 db

My BRAS profile shows I'm on ADSL500 with a Sync rate of 576.

Other folk in the area are getting better than 1Mbit/s.

The phone lines and cabinet are fairly close to the office. What is
my best argument for a new connection point which I am sure would
alleviate this problem?

Threaten to leave? Clearly these business premises aren't fit for
purpose, so hit your landlord where it hurts.
Old January 26th 12, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

[...]

Is your phone line shared by anyone else, or is it exclusively yours? If
the latter, you should have your own master socket within your bit of
the premises. Are you sure your haven't? What sort of socket have you
got? Have you looked inside it?

Have you done a quiet-line test with a normal phone handset plugged in?
Was there any background noise? If so, complain about the noisy line
without mentioning the ADSL. If the noise gets fixed, your internet
speed will probably improve too.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old January 26th 12, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Woodhouse

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 12:29 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:
I can't even watch those small newsclips on the BBC without
encoutering "Insufficient bandwidth" and iPlayer, YouTube are
impossible.

None of which have to be viewed in "real time", FWIW.

I have a crappy connection too (not quite as crappy as yours) but often
download programmes in HD from iPlayer and watch them at my leisure.

In your position I'd probably get a *second* phone line installed, set
up ADSL service on that, and then cease the first.

--
dwmw2

Old January 27th 12, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Woodhouse

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 23:44 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
at 60+ dB you can forget any broadband at all.

I think not.

One of my lines is currently synced at 1376Kb/s with 63dB attn.

The other, with a stupidly high SNR margin due to BT's horridly broken
DLM, is at 1056Kb/s with 63.5dB attn. (Which is technically a fault
since it's below the fault threshold rate, but BT's normal response to
such faults is just to reset everything so the fault threshold gets
recalculated, so there doesn't seem a lot of point in complaining. Best
just to wait and hope the random behaviour of the DLM eventually reduces
the margin again).

My lines are worse (in terms of pure attenuation at least), yet have a
better sync rate, than the OP.

Old January 27th 12, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

anything over 55dB is hugely marginal, and at 60+ dB you can forget any
broadband at all.

In my old house I was getting 1.8Mb/s with 74dB attenuation.

--

WCZ
Old January 27th 12, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

Paul Cummins wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when lid (AnthonyL)
came up to me and whispered:

My broadband speeds are appalling even allowing for the fact that I'm
a long way from the exchange. Stats a

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 768 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 57.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 6.0 db 14 db

My BRAS profile shows I'm on ADSL500 with a Sync rate of 576.

You're being screwed.

No, he's being attenuated.

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information
Downstream: 3.616 Mbps
Upstream: 868.2 Kbps

ADSL Settings

Noise margin (Down/Up): 3.5 dB / 5.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 53.5 dB / 31.3 dB

His is 57 dB.

anything over 55dB is hugely marginal, and at 60+ dB you can forget any
broadband at all.

I'd argue with that.
My attenuation ranges between 54.5 (currently) and 57.
Current router stats show:
Speed (up) 3808, (down) 448.
SNR margin (down) 8, (up) 19
It looks to me like a premises wiring problem.
I had similar problems, which were eventually rectified by disconnecting
all internal wiring and getting a DECT phone system, having a new
lead-in installed from the pole outside to the house and an Openreach
filtered faceplate with 2 sockets (DSL and phone).
My router plugs straight into the faceplate, as does my DECT phone system.
All possible sources of low speed at my end were therefore eliminated
and all is now sweetness and light.
Some of my neighbours are amazed at the speed I'm getting, as many of
them are getting a maximum of around the 1 Meg (or worse).

George