DG834GT suitable for FTTC

Old February 1st 12, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

Default DG834GT suitable for FTTC

Hi,
My new router has not arrived yet so I am wondering whether my DG834GT
(DGteam) router can be made to work with FTTC until the correct router
arrives. I've searched but it is not 100% clear whether this will
work.
--
(\__/) M.

Old February 1st 12, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Hi,
My new router has not arrived yet so I am wondering whether my DG834GT
(DGteam) router can be made to work with FTTC until the correct router
arrives. I've searched but it is not 100% clear whether this will
work.

I doubt it, since FTTC uses VDSL2, not ADSL.

VDSL2 uses G.993.2, so if the Netgear lists that as a mode,
it might be worth trying, otherwise it probably won't.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Old February 1st 12, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:18:03 +0000, Mark wrote:

Hi,
My new router has not arrived yet so I am wondering whether my DG834GT
(DGteam) router can be made to work with FTTC until the correct router
arrives. I've searched but it is not 100% clear whether this will work.

Not with any "standard" firmware - you'd need to split one Ethernet port
out of the bridge, and run PPPoE over that. You can't split an Ethernet
port out, and you can't run PPPoE out of an Ethernet port.

[ Yes, the DG834GT can do PPPoE, but only over the ADSL modem - so it's
really PPPoEoA ]

I suspect you could put dd-wrt on the DG834GT, but that's quite a big
step to take.

If you have a Linux box which you could use as a router, then there's
rp-pppoe (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe) which will
do the job nicely.
Old February 1st 12, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:48:58 +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:

In article , Mark
wrote:
Hi,
My new router has not arrived yet so I am wondering whether my DG834GT
(DGteam) router can be made to work with FTTC until the correct router
arrives. I've searched but it is not 100% clear whether this will
work.

I doubt it, since FTTC uses VDSL2, not ADSL.

VDSL2 uses G.993.2, so if the Netgear lists that as a mode, it might be
worth trying, otherwise it probably won't.

An FTTC install has a standalone modem (supplied by Openreach). The OP
is (I presume) asking about a router which will talk PPPoE out of an
Ethernet port to connect to that modem.
Old February 1st 12, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:49:16 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

If you have a Linux box which you could use as a router, then there's
rp-pppoe (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe) which will do
the job nicely.

Replying to my own post - for "do the job nicely" read "do the job
adequately". AFAIK rp-pppoe can't currently do baby jumbo frames.
Old February 1st 12, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

[...]

For Windows and OSX, see:
http://wiki.aaisp.org.uk/index.php/
FTTC_Modem#Testing_and_using_FTTC_with_just_a_comp uter

Old February 1st 12, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:49:16 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:18:03 +0000, Mark wrote:

Hi,
My new router has not arrived yet so I am wondering whether my DG834GT
(DGteam) router can be made to work with FTTC until the correct router
arrives. I've searched but it is not 100% clear whether this will work.

Not with any "standard" firmware - you'd need to split one Ethernet port
out of the bridge, and run PPPoE over that. You can't split an Ethernet
port out, and you can't run PPPoE out of an Ethernet port.

That's what I suspected.

[ Yes, the DG834GT can do PPPoE, but only over the ADSL modem - so it's
really PPPoEoA ]

;-)

I suspect you could put dd-wrt on the DG834GT, but that's quite a big
step to take.

dd-wrt doesn't work on this router AFAIK.

If you have a Linux box which you could use as a router, then there's
rp-pppoe (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe) which will
do the job nicely.

I only need a stop-gap solution for a day or two ;-) There's lots of
other possibilities if I had any round tuits. Not sure if I have any
spare LAN cards either.

Old February 1st 12, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Mark wrote:

I only need a stop-gap solution for a day or two ;-)

Try to charm a homehub3 from the back of the BT van with chocolate hobnobs?
Old February 1st 12, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 01/02/12 21:49, Mark wrote:

I suspect you could put dd-wrt on the DG834GT, but that's quite a big
step to take.

dd-wrt doesn't work on this router AFAIK.

I'm sure I'd found an article on the web from someone who'd got at
least some of the features working. But I can't find it again.

Openwrt is now supported, if you're brave:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/dg834gt