Inrteresting article on BT finances

Old February 4th 12, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Inrteresting article on BT finances

http://tinyurl.com/8977jbf

Note that the ONLY division that is expanding is OPENREACH.

"The telecoms giant reported a 48pc rise in pre-tax profits to £652m in
the three months to December 31, despite a 5pc decline in its overall
revenues to £4.8bn.

OpenReach, the unit providing broadband connections, grew revenues 5pc
to £1.3bn, as demand increased for the fifth successive quarter. "

"However, outside OpenReach, all of BT's other divisions saw declines,
with BT Wholesale falling the most sharply, down 8pc to £979m. "

Old February 4th 12, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 12:42:12 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/8977jbf

Note that the ONLY division that is expanding is OPENREACH.

"The telecoms giant reported a 48pc rise in pre-tax profits to £652m in
the three months to December 31, despite a 5pc decline in its overall
revenues to £4.8bn.

OpenReach, the unit providing broadband connections, grew revenues 5pc
to £1.3bn, as demand increased for the fifth successive quarter. "

"However, outside OpenReach, all of BT's other divisions saw declines,
with BT Wholesale falling the most sharply, down 8pc to £979m. "

The Herald (Glasgow) had a similar item. They are talking about 80
Mbps broadband by spring and 300 Mbps for FTTC to follow.

I assume the 80 Mbps is for non-FTTC???

Can I assume that my Zen FTTC service will keep pace with BT since
AIUI Zen lease capacity from OpenReach?
Old February 4th 12, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Scott wrote:

The Natural Philosopher quoted:

"OpenReach, the unit providing broadband connections, grew revenues 5pc
to £1.3bn, as demand increased for the fifth successive quarter. "

The Herald (Glasgow) had a similar item. They are talking about 80
Mbps broadband by spring and 300 Mbps for FTTC to follow.

8Mbps here would be a start

I assume the 80 Mbps is for non-FTTC???

No reason why it has to be, VDSL2 is specced to 200Mbps, it all depends
on distance of course, and whether the kit BT have bought so far is
capable of the higher speeds

Can I assume that my Zen FTTC service will keep pace with BT since
AIUI Zen lease capacity from OpenReach?

Yes.
Old February 4th 12, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:10:51 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

The Natural Philosopher quoted:

"OpenReach, the unit providing broadband connections, grew revenues 5pc
to £1.3bn, as demand increased for the fifth successive quarter. "

The Herald (Glasgow) had a similar item. They are talking about 80
Mbps broadband by spring and 300 Mbps for FTTC to follow.

8Mbps here would be a start

I assume the 80 Mbps is for non-FTTC???

No reason why it has to be, VDSL2 is specced to 200Mbps, it all depends
on distance of course, and whether the kit BT have bought so far is
capable of the higher speeds

It's just that the article specifically related 300Mbps to FTTC but
made no mention of FTTC in the paragraph about 80 Mbps, so the
implication was that 300 Mbps requires fibre but 80 Mbps does not. I
wondered if that was correct.

Can I assume that my Zen FTTC service will keep pace with BT since
AIUI Zen lease capacity from OpenReach?

Yes.

Excellent.
Old February 4th 12, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Scott [email protected]
ion.myzen.co.uk escribió:

The Herald (Glasgow) had a similar item. They are talking about 80
Mbps broadband by spring and 300 Mbps for FTTC to follow.

I assume the 80 Mbps is for non-FTTC???

No, 80Mbps is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), 300Mbps is FTTP (fibre to the premises,
i.e. to your house).

FTTC still uses your existing copper pair for the last leg of the connection, but
because it's a much shorter distance (from the street cabinet to your house
instead of from the exchange to your house), it is able to achieve a higher sync
speed. It's still xDSL.

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...ttp_on_demand/
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...als-successful

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old February 5th 12, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

ion.myzen.co.uk escribió:

The Herald (Glasgow) had a similar item. They are talking about 80
Mbps broadband by spring and 300 Mbps for FTTC to follow.

I assume the 80 Mbps is for non-FTTC???

No, 80Mbps is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), 300Mbps is FTTP (fibre to the premises,
i.e. to your house).

FTTC still uses your existing copper pair for the last leg of the connection, but
because it's a much shorter distance (from the street cabinet to your house
instead of from the exchange to your house), it is able to achieve a higher sync
speed. It's still xDSL.

I see that BT's trials of 80Mbps FTTC start tomorrow:

http://www.broadbandwatcher.co.uk/bt...february-4281/
but I'm still not sure whether all FTTC users would see an increase in
their speed with this technology, or just those users really close to
the cabinet. Perhaps that's why we need a trial...
Old February 5th 12, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Benham wrote:
On 04/02/12 20:46, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Scott [email protected]
ion.myzen.co.uk escribió:

The Herald (Glasgow) had a similar item. They are talking about 80
Mbps broadband by spring and 300 Mbps for FTTC to follow.

I assume the 80 Mbps is for non-FTTC???

No, 80Mbps is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), 300Mbps is FTTP (fibre to the premises,
i.e. to your house).

FTTC still uses your existing copper pair for the last leg of the connection, but
because it's a much shorter distance (from the street cabinet to your house
instead of from the exchange to your house), it is able to achieve a higher sync
speed. It's still xDSL.

I see that BT's trials of 80Mbps FTTC start tomorrow:

http://www.broadbandwatcher.co.uk/bt...february-4281/
but I'm still not sure whether all FTTC users would see an increase in
their speed with this technology, or just those users really close to
the cabinet. Perhaps that's why we need a trial...

if they run it hot enough power wise,no reason why they shouldn't be
able to get 80Mbps down a half mile of cable.

What is the top slot frequency? 5MHz or so? Oh... 12MHz.

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:VDSL2_frequencies.png

That's not THAT hard to get down a half mile of copper with 50dB
attenuation.

Old February 5th 12, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Andrew Benham wrote:

I see that BT's trials of 80Mbps FTTC start tomorrow:
http://www.broadbandwatcher.co.uk/bt...february-4281/

What is the top slot frequency? 5MHz or so? Oh... 12MHz.

Strange then, that the article claims a bump to 17MHz of spectrum.

Old February 5th 12, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What is the top slot frequency? 5MHz or so? Oh... 12MHz.

Strange then, that the article claims a bump to 17MHz of spectrum.

Sounds like G.993.5 (aka G.Vector) then, with 30MHz on the horizon

http://www2.alcatel-lucent.com/blogs/techzine/2011/boosting-vdsl2-bit-rates-with-vectoring

Old February 5th 12, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Andrew Benham wrote:
On 04/02/12 20:46, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Scott
[email protected]
ion.myzen.co.uk escribió:

The Herald (Glasgow) had a similar item. They are talking about 80
Mbps broadband by spring and 300 Mbps for FTTC to follow.
I assume the 80 Mbps is for non-FTTC???
No, 80Mbps is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), 300Mbps is FTTP (fibre to
the premises,
i.e. to your house).

FTTC still uses your existing copper pair for the last leg of the
connection, but
because it's a much shorter distance (from the street cabinet to your house
instead of from the exchange to your house), it is able to achieve a
higher sync
speed. It's still xDSL.

I see that BT's trials of 80Mbps FTTC start tomorrow:

http://www.broadbandwatcher.co.uk/bt...mbps-fttc-tria
ls-start-in-february-4281/
but I'm still not sure whether all FTTC users would see an increase in
their speed with this technology, or just those users really close to
the cabinet. Perhaps that's why we need a trial...

if they run it hot enough power wise,no reason why they shouldn't be
able to get 80Mbps down a half mile of cable.

What is the top slot frequency? 5MHz or so? Oh... 12MHz.

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:VDSL2_frequencies.png

That's not THAT hard to get down a half mile of copper with 50dB
attenuation.

But think of the crosstalk to other subscribers in the same cable.
--
Invalid