How to have two routers ( with one switched off!)

Old February 8th 12, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Rabbitt

Default How to have two routers ( with one switched off!)

Hi All,

I have my wifi router in the lounge connected to my ADSL line, i always turn
it on/off at the plug when not in use.

I recently obtained another router which i plan to use in the bedroom, so
can turn it on/off when i need it in a more convienient location.

I have noticed however that if i have two routers connected to the bt socket
via the micro filters that the ADSL does not work - BUT this is with one of
the routers being switched off. - (i didnt intend to try having two
connected at same time)

I dont really understand why, that even with one of the routers switched off
at the mains, the other one will not work, can i assume that there must be
some kind of charge still going via the other router which is stopping the
other from working?

I only get my adsl back when either one is only plugged in to the bt socket
and the switched off one taken out.

Is there a way around this, apart from having to pull out leads from the BT
socket?

Thanks

Old February 8th 12, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 08/02/2012 20:42, Jack Rabbitt wrote:
[...]

Regardless of the two routers question - to which I don't know the
answer - I must ask why you need to switch off your routers.
You'll get the best synch by leaving your router(s) connected 24/7.
Switch your computer off by all means but why the router(s)?
Old February 8th 12, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Rabbitt

"George Weston" wrote in message
[...]

To save Electric!! -
Sorry, im old school who was taught to turn things off when not in use!

Old February 8th 12, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 08/02/2012 21:03, Jack Rabbitt wrote:
"George wrote in message
[...]

OK but this has been discussed many times in here and the "leave the
router connected" option seems to have won the day.
A router uses a very small amount of electricity, so you might save only
a few pence a year if you turn yours off at night. Also, it will have to
re-synch every time you turn it back on again, which would probably mean
that you'll never get as good a throughput speed as if you left it running.
Anyway, you answered the question - thanks.
Old February 8th 12, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

[...]

Don't know for sure, but I guess that a router has some front-end
circuitry which loads the line in some way or other even when not powered.

But why do you need more than one router? What's wrong with having all
your PC's sharing just one of them? With your solution, you can't use
more than one PC at a time.

As others have said, routers work best when left on 24 x 7 - otherwise
they never get to negotiate the fastest throughput rate of which the
line is capable. The extra cost of electricity of doing this is peanuts
- a few pence a day at the most.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 8th 12, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Rabbitt

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks George & Roger.

Jack

Old February 9th 12, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Jack Rabbitt" wrote in message
[...]

The way to sort this is to configure one of the routers as no ADSL
connection and then connect a normal port to the one that is connected
(works).

Old February 9th 12, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 00:04:20 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

[...]

That would be fine if he wanted a second wireless access point the,
trouble is the former would have to be switched on for the latter to
work.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old February 9th 12, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

George Weston wrote:

OK but this has been discussed many times in here and the "leave the
router connected" option seems to have won the day.

I always turn mine off when not in use as I do all other electric stuff.
In the case of the router I just checked its rating and if I left it on all
the time it would increase my total leccy consumption by about 4%. Although
this would only add a tenner to my annual bills, if I took that attitude
with all my appliances it could end up with 50% higher bills.

If I left it on all the time I suspect my speed would go down rather than
up since it does tend to lose sync once every few hours and the more that
happens the more BT lower your BRAS profile. I don't think turning it off
at the mains affects the profile since the DSLAMs won't see an attempted
reconnect after the line drops.
Old February 9th 12, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 20:42:37 -0000, "Jack Rabbitt" wrote:

[...]

I am tempted to talk you out of this, but I will join in the spirit
and suggest something.
You can get a cheap radio controlled socket adapter kit from Asda or
Tesco, use one router downstairs and take the remote handset upstairs
so you can switch it off. You get three adapters so you can remotely
switch two other items with the same handset, the fridge & freezer
perhaps ;-)

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%