ADSL wrireless router recommend

Old February 10th 12, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default ADSL wrireless router recommend

As header,
I am looking for a wireless ADSL modem router under 50 pounds. Its for a
small flat so maximum distance 20 metres.
I searched the archives of this group but the last thread I could find
was 2009.
Thanks for any input.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old February 10th 12, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Burton Bradstock

Paul wrote:

As header,
I am looking for a wireless ADSL modem router under 50 pounds. Its for a
small flat so maximum distance 20 metres.
I searched the archives of this group but the last thread I could find
was 2009.
Thanks for any input.
Paul.

My Linksys WAG320N got the dreaded capacitor problem (constant resets)
so I replaced it with a new Netgear DGN2000 from ebay, ~26 IIRC from
ITStor of NW London

The Amazon reviews of this router would suggest giving it a miss.
However, mine is perfectly reliable, sits upright on its 'feet' (so
has a small desktop footprint), and has been no trouble whatsoever.

It comes flashed with US software, and will connect and run with that,
but upgrading to EU software from the Netgear web site is a doddle.

The only slight problem I had, which has also been reported by others
and for which no explanation has been found, is that the router
selects PPPoE as the transport mode rather then the expected PPPoA;
but it seems happy with that so that's what I run with.
--

BB
Old February 10th 12, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Paul wrote:
As header,
I am looking for a wireless ADSL modem router under 50 pounds. Its for a
small flat so maximum distance 20 metres.
I searched the archives of this group but the last thread I could find
was 2009.
Thanks for any input.
Paul.

A quick look at Scan reveals:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/belki...roductFeatures

.... at about 24 plus postage

I would check the manufacturer's website and read its technical
description before buying.

There may be other more useful products at only slightly greater cost.

--
Graham J

Old February 10th 12, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Burton Bradstock" wrote in message

Paul wrote:

[...]

My DGN2000 ran for months before a long power outage defeated even the UPS.
Warmly recommended. The PPOE issue is a red herring and can safely be
ignored.

Peter Crosland

Old February 10th 12, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
Paul wrote:
As header,
I am looking for a wireless ADSL modem router under 50 pounds. Its for a
small flat so maximum distance 20 metres.
I searched the archives of this group but the last thread I could find
was 2009.
Thanks for any input.
Paul.

A quick look at Scan reveals:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/belki...roductFeatures

... at about 24 plus postage

I would check the manufacturer's website and read its technical
description before buying.

There may be other more useful products at only slightly greater cost.

There certainly are! A router that does not have N wireless is obsolete.

Peter Crosland

Old February 10th 12, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 10/02/2012 07:41, Paul wrote:
As header,
I am looking for a wireless ADSL modem router under 50 pounds. Its for a
small flat so maximum distance 20 metres.
I searched the archives of this group but the last thread I could find
was 2009.
Thanks for any input.
Paul.

What ISP are you with? You may be able to wangle a 'free' one from them.

I can't say I have any complaints concerning my Thomson router I got
from plusnet. It works fine through the whole house and even parts of
the garden.
Old February 10th 12, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:41:24 +0000, Paul
wrote:

As header,
I am looking for a wireless ADSL modem router under 50 pounds. Its for a
small flat so maximum distance 20 metres.
I searched the archives of this group but the last thread I could find
was 2009.
Thanks for any input.
Paul.

D-Link have one at about 33. Have a look at the site for details.
www.dlink.co.uk

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old February 10th 12, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

I would definitely stay away from Scan, I had a mega horror story with
them a few years back ...

Old February 10th 12, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

As header,
I am looking for a wireless ADSL modem router under 50 pounds. Its for a
small flat so maximum distance 20 metres.
I searched the archives of this group but the last thread I could find
was 2009.
Thanks for any input.
Paul.

D-Link have one at about 33. Have a look at the site for details.
www.dlink.co.uk

Steve

also check TPlink

routers from under 20.

They work.
Old February 10th 12, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

also check TPlink

routers from under 20.

They work.

IPsec support on a router for 30 is a steal. Been testing a few out
recently and they've been impressive for the price so far. They even look
the part as well.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:19:17 up 30 days, 1:48, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.08