Which wifi AP is most reliable for IOS devices?

Old February 13th 12, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Which wifi AP is most reliable for IOS devices?

There is a widespread compatibility issue with wifi, caused by Apple
having broken the old "standards". For example some of their stuff
requests DHCP every 10 seconds or so. There is a ~90 page thread on
the Apple forums about this, with no solutions...

I would like to buy an AP which just works...

A lot of the Cisco gear is very pricey though - $400 plus for a simple
AP and it isn't clear what one is getting for that. The Linksys range
is a lot better and I wonder if e.g. the WAP4410N will work OK?

Apple's own wifi APs ought to work but they don't have web browser
admin! You have to run their config software, which is stupid.

Netgear and Draytek especially are having many problems with this.

I would also like something with a decent range - enough to cover a
reasonable size house (with brick walls and wooden floors) if mounted
centrally.

I am chucking out several Draytek 800 APs because they seem to have
back doors, whereby an "unused" SSID seems to be enabled by default,
and the security on it is off by default. They are also not reliable
with the Ipad2/Iphone4 despite Draytek having released an upgrade for
this reason.

Many thanks for any input. I've just bought a WAP4410N on Amazon, to
see if it is any better...
Old February 13th 12, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter wrote:

There is a widespread compatibility issue with wifi, caused by Apple
having broken the old "standards".

I have very little time for Apple and their form over function devices,
if buying an expensive proprietary iPhone leads to requiring an
expensive proprietary AirPort, so be it.

For example some of their stuff
requests DHCP every 10 seconds or so. There is a ~90 page thread on
the Apple forums about this, with no solutions...
I would like to buy an AP which just works...

I can confirm that the 'industrial' cisco APs work with iPhones, I've
never had to do anything to them specifically to allow iPhones to work.

Old February 13th 12, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Peter" wrote in message
news
[...]

If the problem is as widespread as you suggest, and essentially is in your
equipment, it is then the chances of finding a solution by buying a random
selection of AP would seem to be doomed to failure. Apple are not alone in
thinking they know best and can ignore standards but unless they come up
with a solution then you have a choice of buying Cisco, that I assume works,
or a different make of phone.

Peter Crosland

Old February 13th 12, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GIRS1

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:07:49 +0000, Andy Burns churned:

Peter wrote:

There is a widespread compatibility issue with wifi, caused by Apple
having broken the old "standards".

I have very little time for Apple and their form over function devices,
if buying an expensive proprietary iPhone leads to requiring an
expensive proprietary AirPort, so be it.

Absolutely - totally agree.

Our fix for this problem is simple and two fold, but it is a workplace -
rather than domestic - fix.

Step one: Block all devices with MAC addresses of the '00:25:4B' ilk
Step two: firewall off any device that tries to repeat parts of DORA
after x attempts in x seconds.

What we've found doing this:
People that take the **** moan a little, but generally productivity goes
up. Those that really don't want to work and wish to dick about on their
phones using our wi-fi tend to switch to Android or RIM. Double win.

Apple. Causing trouble since Adam & Eve.

Old February 14th 12, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

GIRS1 considered Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:51:26
+0000 (UTC) the perfect time to write:

Peter wrote:

[...]

You have expressed my sentiments exactly, and probably more eloquently
than I could have done myself.
Old February 14th 12, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GIRS1

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 01:20:53 +0000, Phil W Lee churned:

Apple. Causing trouble since Adam & Eve.

You have expressed my sentiments exactly, and probably more eloquently
than I could have done myself.

I'm just waiting for the new RFA's to go live (that is, RFC's ignored and
rewritten for poor Apple hardware).

Seriously, when I think of Apple customers I think "Individuals". I'm
sure too that after visiting an Apple store, the next logical place to
shop would be he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AGSMJojAM4

Old February 14th 12, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

GIRS1 wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 01:20:53 +0000, Phil W Lee churned:

Apple. Causing trouble since Adam & Eve.

You have expressed my sentiments exactly, and probably more eloquently
than I could have done myself.

I'm just waiting for the new RFA's to go live (that is, RFC's ignored and
rewritten for poor Apple hardware).

Seriously, when I think of Apple customers I think "Individuals".

I think of 'I am really technically challenged but hubby/daddy/boyfriend
has loads of dosh,, or needs to pretend he has'

I'm
sure too that after visiting an Apple store, the next logical place to
shop would be he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AGSMJojAM4

Yup.