Revenge is a dish ...

Old February 22nd 12, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Default Revenge is a dish ...

A friend has had Plusnet broadband installed simply by installing the
wireless router and following the installation instructions. His only PC
is wired to the router, and unfortunately he (and, er... OK, me) wasn't
awake enough to disable the wireless features or setup a different
wireless SSID/Key than default.

Well, seems a neighbour has cracked it and frittered away this months
10GB bandwidth allocation (and heaven know what else fished from my
friend's PC). I'm going to look at this router and take some evidence
from this, like the MAC address of the culprit's computer.

Now I'm thinking Honeytrap. Configure something nasty with the same
SSID/Key that looks like a Plusnet router and live internet service, and
let us take this idiot users PC apart instead.

It would be interesting what we'd find. But we might find something
else. When they release me from prison, will there still be a health
service and Snickers bars on sale?

--
Not Me #5546758

Old February 22nd 12, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Adrian C wrote:

A friend has had Plusnet broadband installed unfortunately he (and,
er... OK, me) wasn't awake enough to disable the wireless features or
setup a different wireless SSID/Key than default.

AFAIK the WPA PSK on the thomson routers as plusnet send them out is
'unique' to each router, not a knowable default value, does the portal
show this 'guest' was at it all month, or all in one burst?

Old February 22nd 12, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 22/02/2012 09:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian C wrote:

A friend has had Plusnet broadband installed unfortunately he (and,
er... OK, me) wasn't awake enough to disable the wireless features or
setup a different wireless SSID/Key than default.

AFAIK the WPA PSK on the thomson routers as plusnet send them out is
'unique' to each router, not a knowable default value, does the portal
show this 'guest' was at it all month, or all in one burst?

It's all month. Looks like torrent use.

Should get around this evening to shut it off. The user is unable to
reach the shelf the router is on.

--
Adrian C

Old February 22nd 12, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Adrian C wrote:
On 22/02/2012 09:04, Andy Burns wrote:

does the portal
show this 'guest' was at it all month, or all in one burst?

It's all month. Looks like torrent use.

Should get around this evening to shut it off. The user is unable to
reach the shelf the router is on.

Sure the legitimate user hasn't unwittingly installed some P2P software?
Don't some of the download versions of 4OD/iPlayer/etc work like that?

Old February 22nd 12, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 22/02/2012 11:13, Andy Burns wrote:

Sure the legitimate user hasn't unwittingly installed some P2P software?
Don't some of the download versions of 4OD/iPlayer/etc work like that?

He's a very basic user. Doesn't use anything but email. Web browser? Er,
what's that?

--
Adrian C

Old February 22nd 12, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

I suspect that the best way to control access to a home wireless
network is to use a combination of the standard WPA2/AES encryption
and only allow access via the specific known MAC addresses of the
household's devices such as laptops, etc.

Old February 22nd 12, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 22/02/2012 12:08, Java Jive wrote:
I suspect that the best way to control access to a home wireless
network is to use a combination of the standard WPA2/AES encryption
and only allow access via the specific known MAC addresses of the
household's devices such as laptops, etc.

Or, as the OP pointed out, simply turn off the unneeded wi-fi capability.
Old February 22nd 12, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 22/02/2012 00:45, Adrian C wrote:
[...]

You could try this:
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

Not 'revenge' as such, but a bit of fun - less likely you end up doing
porridge.
Old February 22nd 12, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 00:45:57 -0000, Adrian C wrote:

A friend has had Plusnet broadband installed simply by installing the
wireless router and following the installation instructions. His only PC
is wired to the router, and unfortunately he (and, er... OK, me) wasn't
awake enough to disable the wireless features or setup a different
wireless SSID/Key than default.

Happy to look into this if you can give me a way of identifying your
friends account.

--
Chris Parr
Plusnet PLC | www.plus.net
Old February 22nd 12, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

On 22/02/2012 11:28, Adrian C wrote:
On 22/02/2012 11:13, Andy Burns wrote:

Sure the legitimate user hasn't unwittingly installed some P2P software?
Don't some of the download versions of 4OD/iPlayer/etc work like that?

He's a very basic user. Doesn't use anything but email. Web browser? Er,
what's that?

If it is a Thomson/Technicolor router it should show the MAC address of
any devices that have made a WiFi connection. Disabling the Wifi is
quite easy from the Web interface, but I find it difficult to believe
that anyone has found the Wifi codes. I look forward to hearing later as
to whether this really was the case.

--
Michael Chare