BT Broadband - Why is it slower

Old February 28th 12, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rob

Default BT Broadband - Why is it slower

I had Tiscali Broadband for soem time. Being on the edge of town I got
about .75 megs. (Speeds measured by a measuring device supplied by OFCOM
and connected directly to the router) When the BT engineer was fixing
the phone line he discovered an unnecessary 3 mile loop and when he
removed it we went up to 1.5.

When they (Now called Talk-Talk) started behaving silly I moved to BT.
(I know why oh why) and the spees went down to 1. Bt did some
improvements and announced an increase in speed. Which was now erm 1.

I got shot of BT at the end of the contract and went to Orange. The
price dropped 75% and the speed went up to 1.75.

This just makes me wonder. Do BT set the speed with a limit? Is the BT
home Hub limited? Is this just another BT anomally as they struggle to
cope with the modern world?
Old February 28th 12, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Rob wrote:
I had Tiscali Broadband for soem time. Being on the edge of town I got
about .75 megs. (Speeds measured by a measuring device supplied by OFCOM
and connected directly to the router) When the BT engineer was fixing
the phone line he discovered an unnecessary 3 mile loop and when he
removed it we went up to 1.5.

When they (Now called Talk-Talk) started behaving silly I moved to BT.
(I know why oh why) and the spees went down to 1. Bt did some
improvements and announced an increase in speed. Which was now erm 1.

I got shot of BT at the end of the contract and went to Orange. The
price dropped 75% and the speed went up to 1.75.

This just makes me wonder. Do BT set the speed with a limit? Is the BT
home Hub limited? Is this just another BT anomally as they struggle to
cope with the modern world?

Too little hard information to say.

everything makes a difference.

But changing ISPs (unless you change to an LLU service) won't change the
DSLAM or the settings on it, so the only variables are the cable to the
exchange and what router you put on, as far as raw synch speed and the
BRAS profile goes, irrespective of the ISP..

That will always represent the best you are going to get.

Of course crapitude in the ISP itself may make actual transfers a lot
WORSE than that.

And LLU operators may choose to run their DSLAMS differently, but even
so its not likely things will be MUICH improved.
Old February 29th 12, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Rob (for it is he) wrote:

This just makes me wonder. Do BT set the speed with a limit?

They can do, eg with a fixed-speed 1M ADSL product. Not sure if that's still
available to buy and when they stopped selling it.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:18:40 up 49 days, 48 min, 5 users, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.09

Old February 29th 12, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 29/02/2012 21:19, alexd wrote:
Rob (for it is he) wrote:

This just makes me wonder. Do BT set the speed with a limit?

They can do, eg with a fixed-speed 1M ADSL product. Not sure if that's still
available to buy and when they stopped selling it.

Not only BT - any ISP should be able to arrange for a fixed speed when
the variable "up to 8 meg" product proves unreliable.
Old February 29th 12, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

George Weston wrote:

any ISP should be able to arrange for a fixed speed when
the variable "up to 8 meg" product proves unreliable.

Might get a much lower speed though, on my line (2.6mbps using ADSL1
modem on ADSL2+ line) the checker says that fixed rate 512kbps ADSL
*might* be available subject to an engineer visit.

Old March 1st 12, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Rob (for it is he) wrote:

This just makes me wonder. Do BT set the speed with a limit?

They can do, eg with a fixed-speed 1M ADSL product. Not sure if that's
still
available to buy and when they stopped selling it.

Not only BT - any ISP should be able to arrange for a fixed speed when
the variable "up to 8 meg" product proves unreliable.

technically its easy, but few these days are geared to handle it as a
product.

And it is nearly always lower speed that the adaptive protocol

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old March 1st 12, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:58:56 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

George Weston wrote:

any ISP should be able to arrange for a fixed speed when
the variable "up to 8 meg" product proves unreliable.

Might get a much lower speed though, on my line (2.6mbps using ADSL1
modem on ADSL2+ line) the checker says that fixed rate 512kbps ADSL
*might* be available subject to an engineer visit.

The checker is often very conservative. I had similar speeds and was
offered a fixed 2M connection although I didn't need it in the end.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?