Powerline and similar network adapters

Old February 28th 12, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mentalguy2k8

Default Powerline and similar network adapters

Hi,

Anyone use these adapters that use the mains wiring to transmit network
data?

I'm upgrading from 50mbps to 100mbps broadband and wondered if I'd get
anywhere near this through a set of these (rated 200mbps) adapters? I'm
aware that they never reach the manufacturer's claimed speeds, but what can
I realistically expect?

Unfortunately I live in a house that's all concrete, so I can't "hide" an
ethernet cable without a lot of work, otherwise I'd run one from the
existing router to another router.

Old February 29th 12, 01:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
News

In message , Mentalguy2k8
writes

Anyone use these adapters that use the mains wiring to transmit network
data?

Yes, I use Solwise ones, with great success. Our house is granite, with
walls two feet thick, and conventional wireless just does not work
through the walls. Connection to the outside world is via a
conventional wired Speedtouch router, which feeds a wireless D-link box,
which covers a couple of rooms. Elsewhere in the house, there are
various Solwise units, both wired and wireless. I have never tried to
measure speed, because it does not really worry me. However, wife and
son are both avid gamers, using PC and Xbox, and neither think there is
any difference whether directly wired to the Speedtouch router or the
Solwise wireless box.

Just a thought. To work, the Solwise units must be plugged into the
same electricity supply. I say this because our house includes a small
shop with independent electricity supply, and the Solwise units will not
work from one to the other.

--
Graeme
Old February 29th 12, 08:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mentalguy2k8

"News" wrote in message
In message , Mentalguy2k8
writes

[...]

Thanks very much, I really wanted to run an ethernet cable between the two
but concrete walls rule that out because there's no way of hiding the cable,
and I personally don't like seeing cables running down walls, even
underneath trunking.

Old March 1st 12, 06:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob H

On 29/02/2012 20:24, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"News" wrote in message
In message , Mentalguy2k8
writes

[...]

I have just got 3 of theses, and have no problems streaming video from
my home server upstairs to the tv downstairs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-P...0626757&sr=8-1