Be link overloaded long term...

Old March 2nd 12, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Be link overloaded long term...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...ction_problem/
Caught my eye.

Interesting..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old March 2nd 12, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...ction_problem/
Caught my eye.

Interesting..

Is this an actual bit of in depth analysis, or is El Reg just re-printing
press releases and user complaints still ? I stopped reading it some
time ago due to the lack of independent thought there - enough other
sites already reprint press releases ...

Disclaimer: Am a Be user at home, and I read their user blogs for 2
years and evaluated them before I signed up. I think that like any ISP
they have good and bad phases and good and bad locations. The important
point is that they solve stuff. You want an ISP without those, you can
pay 4 times as much.

Nick
Old March 3rd 12, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 23:55:24 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...ction_problem/
Caught my eye.

Interesting..

Is this an actual bit of in depth analysis, or is El Reg just re-printing
press releases and user complaints still ? I stopped reading it some
time ago due to the lack of independent thought there - enough other
sites already reprint press releases ...

Disclaimer: Am a Be user at home, and I read their user blogs for 2
years and evaluated them before I signed up. I think that like any ISP
they have good and bad phases and good and bad locations. The important
point is that they solve stuff. You want an ISP without those, you can
pay 4 times as much.

Nick

Language like "Some punters - mostly outside the southeast of Blighty"
is enough to turn me off.

I am also using be, I can't say I have seen a particular problem with
iPlayer, but it might be worth mentioning that this time yesterday
morning youtube was compleatly unusable, the first few seconds were
buffered OK then it just stalled.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old March 3rd 12, 02:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...ction_problem/
Caught my eye.

Interesting..

Is this an actual bit of in depth analysis, or is El Reg just re-printing
press releases and user complaints still ? I stopped reading it some
time ago due to the lack of independent thought there - enough other
sites already reprint press releases ...

Your guess... But I read the reg because its a handy portal into what
they are reporting on and they generally have a link to that to see the
source...

Old March 3rd 12, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article ,
Nick Leverton wrote:

Is this an actual bit of in depth analysis, or is El Reg just re-printing
press releases and user complaints still ? I stopped reading it some
time ago due to the lack of independent thought there - enough other
sites already reprint press releases ...

Disclaimer: Am a Be user at home, and I read their user blogs for 2
years and evaluated them before I signed up. I think that like any ISP
they have good and bad phases and good and bad locations. The important
point is that they solve stuff. You want an ISP without those, you can
pay 4 times as much.

Of course, Sodde's Law says that Be would have some sort of outage
the weekend after I posted that. Their DNS servers are stuffed up and
(presumably as a result) the web servers aren't too happy either so I
can neither check the status nor report it online.

Fortunately it's only couple of seconds work to change to resolving from
the DNS roots instead of via Be's DNS proxies so only the briefest of
interruptions to browsing here The interconnect I use is definitely
not overloaded.

Nick
Old March 3rd 12, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

I haven't been following this subject but today I have found I'm not
connecting to some web sites and loading of web sites is slow.
Are other Be users having these problems?
Been with Be Unlimited for a few years now and first time I have had
trouble.
Regards
David

Old March 3rd 12, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"David" wrote in message ...

I haven't been following this subject but today I have found I'm not
connecting to some web sites and loading of web sites is slow.
Are other Be users having these problems?
Been with Be Unlimited for a few years now and first time I have had
trouble.
Regards
David

PS One of the websites I can't get is Be site so can't check there if they
have notified any problems with their systems.

Old March 3rd 12, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article , David wrote:

I haven't been following this subject but today I have found I'm not
connecting to some web sites and loading of web sites is slow.
Are other Be users having these problems?
Been with Be Unlimited for a few years now and first time I have had
trouble.

Yes, those were the symptoms here too. At time of writing, only one
of Be's two customer nameservers is responding at all so it'll be 50/50
whether you can resolve various websites.

Try changing to Google's DNS server, 8.8.8.8, as a temporary thing until
Be get it sorted out. Not sure where the setting is on Windows but
no doubt somebody here can point you to it. (You may not want to stay
with that setting full time, depending how much you care about Google
tracking all your web activity, but it will get you going for now).

Nick

Old March 3rd 12, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article , David wrote:
Thanks will try that

Be seems to be back in action now ...