Broadband through an old switchboard?

Old March 13th 12, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

Default Broadband through an old switchboard?

A friend has a fairly large house with a couple of telephone lines coming
through an old switchboard. They've got an ADSL2+ line on the fax number,
which I think goes through the same board, and they're considering putting
in another broadband line on a different line, but one that also goes
through the board.

Does anyone know if this is feasible? From what I can work out, the
switchboard is a Panasonic A-616.

Thanks in advance.

Old March 13th 12, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Bob wrote:
A friend has a fairly large house with a couple of telephone lines
coming through an old switchboard. They've got an ADSL2+ line on the fax
number, which I think goes through the same board, and they're
considering putting in another broadband line on a different line, but
one that also goes through the board.

Does anyone know if this is feasible? From what I can work out, the
switchboard is a Panasonic A-616.

Thanks in advance.

Is this a switchboard that the BT system knows about? For example, does
it connect to more than one BT line where each line has the same number
- i.e. they are all within the same "hunt group". If so, BT cannot put
ADSL of any flavour on such a line - there is no technological reason
why not, it's purely an administrative restriction.

Otherwise, the key question is whether the PABX filters out the ADSL
signal - in which case, put a master socket between the incoming line
and the PABX and take the ADSL signal from that point.

--
Graham J

Old March 13th 12, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:58:30 -0000, "Bob" wrote:

A friend has a fairly large house with a couple of telephone lines coming
through an old switchboard. They've got an ADSL2+ line on the fax number,
which I think goes through the same board, and they're considering putting
in another broadband line on a different line, but one that also goes
through the board.

Does anyone know if this is feasible? From what I can work out, the
switchboard is a Panasonic A-616.

Thanks in advance.

Ah, the Pan "A" series, my favorite small system, when was involved
back in the day.

You need to filter the line(s) upstream of the system and only use the
unfiltered side to feed your router(s).

The lines are probebly hardwired in and out of a junction box (MDF)
next to the system. You will need to put a socket(s) between the MDF
and the system. One neat solution would be to get a couple of NTE5
master sockets from ebay and fit filtered faceplates. You could also
improvise something using ordinary dongle filters, you will still need
sockets, but just cheap ones.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old March 14th 12, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
Bob wrote:
[...]

Don't know why you're claiming that BT don't as they have and still do but
you have to filter the line before it reaches the switch as that will
compromise the DSL signal.

Old March 14th 12, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Bob wrote:
[...]

How you do this is simple, and its the way I have done it here, and
elsewhere.

Put a filtering faceplate, or inline wired-in filter, on the PABX CO
line, and take the router off *upstream of the PABX/Filter.

For a second line, use a VOIP equipped router like the Billion 7404 VGP
series and register with e.g. Sipgate - then plug the second CO line on
the PABX into the router phone port..

I get effectively two lines, two standard UK numbers, and broadband for
the cost of one line rental and a broadband charge.

Plus cheap international calls on the VOIP line

and how hard it is to achieve it.