Firefox browswer opens without warning

Old March 14th 12, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Firefox browswer opens without warning

May possibly be off topic, if so then my apologies.

A friend of mine has a 3 mobile dongle he uses to connect to the
internet.

Every now and again without warning the firefox browser opens, even
though he hasn't requested it to.

I'm not sure if this is something the dongle is doing or something
Firefox is doing. I have checked on both and there doesn't seem to be
anything causing it.

I have googled to see if I can find the answer but haven't managed to.

Any help appreciated as it is driving him potty.
Old March 14th 12, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:25:35 +0000, John wrote:

Every now and again without warning the firefox browser opens, even
though he hasn't requested it to.

Any help appreciated as it is driving him potty.

At a guess, firefox is the default handler for a media or protocol type
and something is trying to open a resource of that media or protocol type.

As for how you work out what .... almost any piece of software running on
the machine could be making the request ...

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old March 14th 12, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

On 14/03/2012 17:45, Denis McMahon wrote:

As for how you work out what .... almost any piece of software running on
the machine could be making the request ...

At a guess it's apiece of software you don't know is there. Run a full
virus scan

Andy
Old March 14th 12, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On 14 Mar 2012 17:45:25 GMT, Denis McMahon
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:25:35 +0000, John wrote:

Every now and again without warning the firefox browser opens, even
though he hasn't requested it to.

Any help appreciated as it is driving him potty.

At a guess, firefox is the default handler for a media or protocol type
and something is trying to open a resource of that media or protocol type.

As for how you work out what .... almost any piece of software running on
the machine could be making the request ...

Mmm, well it's certainly stumped me, and I'm the usual port of call
whenever any of my friends have an IT related problem.

I will check what processes are running next time I'm there and see
what I can ascertain from that.
Old March 14th 12, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Change the default browser and see if the alternate choice pops up instead
of Firefox.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:36:47 up 63 days, 1:07, 5 users, load average: 0.08, 0.35, 0.36

Old March 14th 12, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:37:10 +0000, alexd
wrote:

Change the default browser and see if the alternate choice pops up instead
of Firefox.

That's a good idea.
Old March 14th 12, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:11:26 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

On 14/03/2012 17:45, Denis McMahon wrote:

As for how you work out what .... almost any piece of software running on
the machine could be making the request ...

At a guess it's apiece of software you don't know is there. Run a full
virus scan

I don't think it's rogue software. AVG scans every day and I have
trained him to run Malwarebytes once a week. May be worth doing a
full malwarebytes scan though as it usually only the quick scan.
Old March 15th 12, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

wrote:

On 14/03/2012 17:45, Denis McMahon wrote:

As for how you work out what .... almost any piece of software running
on
the machine could be making the request ...

At a guess it's apiece of software you don't know is there. Run a full
virus scan

I don't think it's rogue software. AVG scans every day and I have
trained him to run Malwarebytes once a week. May be worth doing a
full malwarebytes scan though as it usually only the quick scan.

I think the software related to the dongle is trying to tell you something.
It could be there has been an error, it could be some stats or it could be
the maker trying to sell you something. Whatever it is uses a browser to
display it (like the PC-Pro disk does since about six months ago), but maybe
there is a broken link or something.

Old March 15th 12, 07:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave N

wrote:

Change the default browser and see if the alternate choice pops up instead
of Firefox.

That's a good idea.

The crucial question is what is shown in the browser window when it
opens unexpectedly? The answer will probably offer lots of clues as to
the cause.

--
Dave N
Old March 15th 12, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

Change the default browser and see if the alternate choice pops up instead
of Firefox.

That's a good idea.

The crucial question is what is shown in the browser window when it
opens unexpectedly? The answer will probably offer lots of clues as to
the cause.

It's loading the 3 mobile broadband page.

I think I know what's happening. I am remotely accessing his computer
now and running a full malwarebytes scan. It has just disconnected me
and when I logged back in it was showing the above page.

It may to be possibly disconnecting for a second and then auto loading
the page as it does when you first connect.

It isn't set to automatically connect so shouldn't you have to
manually connect again?

My friend doesn't notice any loss of internet connection so my theory
may be wrong.