A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Unexplained improvement in speed.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 19th 12, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Rogerson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.

I live at the end of a very long line from my exchange and suffer from outages
and noise often caused by squirrels chewing the cables etc. Having said that
when it is working I get a fairly constant about 900kb/s download speed and
although it would be nice to get a higher rate I am not intending to move
which is my only realistic option.

Now I find that my speed has gone up to about 2Mb/s -or just over twice, which
is good, but I don't know what's changed. I assume that someone fixed
something at the exchange, but I can't find anything. Looking back through my
logs I can see that the line dropped and I got reconnected with the higher
speed at about 1:14AM on the 18th. There's something else that's odd and that
is the SNR has dropped. I always believed that ADSL (+?) operated with an SNR
of about 6, but historically I have always has an SNR of about 13-17. I've
tried various tweaks to tease the line into giving a higher speed, but failed.
At the same time as the speed went up, the SNR dropped to 6. It looks to me
very much as though some equipment in the exchange has been replaced, given
that my modem hasn't. Can anyone offer any insight?



Steve
  #2  
Old March 19th 12, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.

Steve Rogerson wrote:
I live at the end of a very long line from my exchange and suffer from
outages and noise often caused by squirrels chewing the cables etc.
Having said that when it is working I get a fairly constant about
900kb/s download speed and although it would be nice to get a higher
rate I am not intending to move which is my only realistic option.

Now I find that my speed has gone up to about 2Mb/s -or just over twice,
which is good, but I don't know what's changed. I assume that someone
fixed something at the exchange, but I can't find anything. Looking back
through my logs I can see that the line dropped and I got reconnected
with the higher speed at about 1:14AM on the 18th. There's something
else that's odd and that is the SNR has dropped. I always believed that
ADSL (+?) operated with an SNR of about 6, but historically I have
always has an SNR of about 13-17. I've tried various tweaks to tease the
line into giving a higher speed, but failed. At the same time as the
speed went up, the SNR dropped to 6. It looks to me very much as though
some equipment in the exchange has been replaced, given that my modem
hasn't. Can anyone offer any insight?


That is one explanation. Another is that a bit of crap cable was
replaced and a third is that someone fixed the sparking contact on some
electrical equipment, or it blew up.

Essentially the line now has less interference. There are many
explanations and without any further information all are ****ing in the
wind.

Be grateful and shut up :-) Or BT will come and take it away from you.


Steve



--
To people who know nothing, anything is possible.
To people who know too much, it is a sad fact
that they know how little is really possible -
and how hard it is to achieve it.
  #3  
Old March 19th 12, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 138
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:03:00 UTC, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

That is one explanation. Another is that a bit of crap cable was
replaced and a third is that someone fixed the sparking contact on some
electrical equipment, or it blew up.

Essentially the line now has less interference. There are many
explanations and without any further information all are ****ing in the
wind.


My speeds have improved following a two day outage due to "cable
theft" :-)

--
Regards
Dave Saville
  #4  
Old March 19th 12, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.

Dave Saville wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:03:00 UTC, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

That is one explanation. Another is that a bit of crap cable was
replaced and a third is that someone fixed the sparking contact on some
electrical equipment, or it blew up.

Essentially the line now has less interference. There are many
explanations and without any further information all are ****ing in the
wind.


My speeds have improved following a two day outage due to "cable
theft" :-)

You NAUGHTY boy. How much did you get for it?


--
To people who know nothing, anything is possible.
To people who know too much, it is a sad fact
that they know how little is really possible -
and how hard it is to achieve it.
  #5  
Old March 19th 12, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 82
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Now I find that my speed has gone up to about 2Mb/s -or just over twice,
which is good, but I don't know what's changed. I assume that someone
fixed something at the exchange, but I can't find anything. Looking back
through my logs I can see that the line dropped and I got reconnected
with the higher speed at about 1:14AM on the 18th. There's something
else that's odd and that is the SNR has dropped. I always believed that
ADSL (+?) operated with an SNR of about 6, but historically I have
always has an SNR of about 13-17.


Essentially the line now has less interference. There are many
explanations and without any further information all are ****ing in the
wind.


His speed doubled and his SNR dropped by 9db, it is likely nothing changed
other than the exchange not setting a 15db SNR target.

It hints at a change of equipment at the exchange or it could just have
been reset.
  #6  
Old March 19th 12, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.

nospam wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Now I find that my speed has gone up to about 2Mb/s -or just over twice,
which is good, but I don't know what's changed. I assume that someone
fixed something at the exchange, but I can't find anything. Looking back
through my logs I can see that the line dropped and I got reconnected
with the higher speed at about 1:14AM on the 18th. There's something
else that's odd and that is the SNR has dropped. I always believed that
ADSL (+?) operated with an SNR of about 6, but historically I have
always has an SNR of about 13-17.


Essentially the line now has less interference. There are many
explanations and without any further information all are ****ing in the
wind.


His speed doubled and his SNR dropped by 9db, it is likely nothing changed
other than the exchange not setting a 15db SNR target.

It hints at a change of equipment at the exchange or it could just have
been reset.


it doesn't say WHY the error rate dropped enough to warrant that target
reduction though,.


--
To people who know nothing, anything is possible.
To people who know too much, it is a sad fact
that they know how little is really possible -
and how hard it is to achieve it.
  #7  
Old March 19th 12, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.


"Steve Rogerson" wrote in message
...
I live at the end of a very long line from my exchange and suffer from
outages and noise often caused by squirrels chewing the cables etc. Having
said that when it is working I get a fairly constant about 900kb/s download
speed and although it would be nice to get a higher rate I am not intending
to move which is my only realistic option.

Now I find that my speed has gone up to about 2Mb/s -or just over twice,
which is good, but I don't know what's changed. I assume that someone
fixed something at the exchange, but I can't find anything. Looking back
through my logs I can see that the line dropped and I got reconnected with
the higher speed at about 1:14AM on the 18th. There's something else
that's odd and that is the SNR has dropped. I always believed that ADSL
(+?) operated with an SNR of about 6, but historically I have always has
an SNR of about 13-17. I've tried various tweaks to tease the line into
giving a higher speed, but failed. At the same time as the speed went up,
the SNR dropped to 6. It looks to me very much as though some equipment in
the exchange has been replaced, given that my modem hasn't. Can anyone
offer any insight?



Steve



Do you have a note of the Line Attenuation either side of the change?

PA


  #8  
Old March 19th 12, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:47:10 +0000, Steve Rogerson wrote:

I live at the end of a very long line from my exchange and suffer from
outages and noise often caused by squirrels chewing the cables etc.
Having said that when it is working I get a fairly constant about
900kb/s download speed and although it would be nice to get a higher
rate I am not intending to move which is my only realistic option.


My ADSL speed once doubled when I swapped the RJ11 cable.

  #9  
Old March 20th 12, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Rogerson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.

On 19/03/12 20:03, Peter Able wrote:
"Steve wrote in message



Do you have a note of the Line Attenuation either side of the change?



63.5 before and after. The same as now and - apart from outages - for all
recorded time past.

Steve
  #10  
Old March 20th 12, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default Unexplained improvement in speed.


"Steve Rogerson" wrote in message
...
On 19/03/12 20:03, Peter Able wrote:
"Steve wrote in message



Do you have a note of the Line Attenuation either side of the change?



63.5 before and after. The same as now and - apart from outages - for all
recorded time past.

Steve


Sounds like the change is in the exchange equipment - either completely new
equipment or a reset of the existing equipment - then. Your modem data
might include the exchange equipment ID. I've found that I've needed a
reset now and again to get back to a 6dB figure. They claim that an
elevated figure eventually recovers. I've never seen it happen without a
forced reset! Maybe Quantised Profiling will see an end to "stuck SNR
Syndrome"!

BT changed the exchange equipment here a year ago and my connection shifted
from 2 point something to 4 point something Megabits/sec sustained on the
same 51dB line - and since we've been on QP I've always got an instant
update of the IP and a 6dB margin after a router power-down then power-up.

PA


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unexplained SNR fluctuations Kevin Vivian uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 28 April 1st 10 10:04 AM
BT Broadband improvement? Terry Pinnell uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 11 January 27th 10 05:10 PM
Sky Email Improvement..? Jono uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 September 3rd 07 12:27 PM
dacs removed - not much improvement in dialup speed - line gain/line card banzai uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 11 May 19th 04 05:24 PM
Any people with unexplained disconnections? Clueless uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 November 15th 03 04:34 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.