Problems contacting Virgin Media

Old March 24th 12, 07:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Guy Barry

Default Problems contacting Virgin Media

Sorry to bother the group with this but I am going insane.

There appears to be a problem with my blueyonder.co.uk account from Virgin
Media's cable service. It appears that emails to certain domains haven't
been going through for some time. Their website is almost impossible to
navigate around, especially with my relatively slow connection. There seems
to be no way of contacting them my email or via a Web form. I tried raising
it on the Help and Support forums and no one replied. I don't have a Virgin
home phone or Virgin Mobile so I've just had to spend money on my own mobile
calling an 0845 number. After ages of going through automated menus they
said they were going to put me on hold for ten minutes. I gave up in
frustration.

Anyone got any ideas?

--
Guy Barry

Old March 24th 12, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 07:43:51 -0000, "Guy Barry"
wrote:

Sorry to bother the group with this but I am going insane.

There appears to be a problem with my blueyonder.co.uk account from Virgin
Media's cable service. It appears that emails to certain domains haven't
been going through for some time. Their website is almost impossible to
navigate around, especially with my relatively slow connection. There seems
to be no way of contacting them my email or via a Web form. I tried raising
it on the Help and Support forums and no one replied. I don't have a Virgin
home phone or Virgin Mobile so I've just had to spend money on my own mobile
calling an 0845 number. After ages of going through automated menus they
said they were going to put me on hold for ten minutes. I gave up in
frustration.

Anyone got any ideas?

When you say " emails to certain domains haven't been going through
for some time". Are they being bounced back to you? If so, what is the
error message?. At one time BY/TW servers had a habit of beiing
blacklisted but haven't heard of the problem recently. Of course, they
have now outsourced their email to Google.
--
Pete

Old March 24th 12, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside S9

wrote:

Sorry to bother the group with this but I am going insane.

There appears to be a problem with my blueyonder.co.uk account from Virgin
Media's cable service. It appears that emails to certain domains haven't
been going through for some time. Their website is almost impossible to
navigate around, especially with my relatively slow connection. There seems
to be no way of contacting them my email or via a Web form. I tried raising
it on the Help and Support forums and no one replied. I don't have a Virgin
home phone or Virgin Mobile so I've just had to spend money on my own mobile
calling an 0845 number. After ages of going through automated menus they
said they were going to put me on hold for ten minutes. I gave up in
frustration.

Anyone got any ideas?

Seems to have been an ongoing problem for some time.
See
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../617437/page/9
It may help you to find a resolution.

--
brightside S9
Old March 25th 12, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Guy Barry

wrote in message

When you say " emails to certain domains haven't been going through
for some time". Are they being bounced back to you?

No, they're just not arriving. I didn't realize about the problem for some
time. At the beginning of March I was removed from my employment at a
certain institution and subsequently noticed that none of my emails to the
institution were being replied to. I contacted one of the people concerned
by other means and he said he hadn't received anything, which led me to
conclude (incorrectly, it seems) that the institution was blocking my
emails. I subsequently sent a test email to my own Gmail account and that
didn't arrive either. Most other emails seem to be getting through but it's
impossible to be sure. I'm currently using my Yahoo account unless I'm sure
the intended recipient will get it. Very frustrating.

--
Guy Barry

Old March 25th 12, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Guy Barry

news

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...d/td-p/617437/
page/9
It may help you to find a resolution.

Thanks for that. It didn't occur to me that the domain might be
blacklisted. I'll make some further enquiries.

--
Guy Barry

Old March 25th 12, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Guy Barry

Looks as though others are having the problem:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...going/td-p/108
8963/highlight/false

I've posted to the thread and hopefully there'll be some resolution.

--
Guy Barry

Old March 25th 12, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Guy Barry wrote:
Looks as though others are having the problem:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...going/td-p/108
8963/highlight/false

I've posted to the thread and hopefully there'll be some resolution.

The simplest answer is that if a thing doesn't work, if you can't fix it, and
if nobody else can fix it either for whatever reason, then don't use it. It
takes about 5 minutes to set up an alternative email address. Life's too short
to fret about it.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old March 25th 12, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 25/03/2012 08:44, Guy Barry wrote:
Looks as though others are having the problem:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...going/td-p/108
8963/highlight/false

I've posted to the thread and hopefully there'll be some resolution.

--
Guy Barry

It happens...
I had a similar issue only the other way round.
Emails that I sent from my employer's system to myself at home sometimes
didn't arrive, and when they did were sometimes prefixed with [SPAM] by
my ISP.
A couple of weeks ago I got an "email refused" bounce-back at work, with
a clue in the message that my employer's system had been blacklisted by
SORBS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_an...locking_System
I got on to the IT department and they told me just to send it again, as
it would probably go out on another server - I did and it worked.
Apparently, just one of their many outgoing mail servers had been
blacklisted by SORBS for some unknown reason. My employer is a Local
Authority with all the expected firewalls, restrictions and security
restrictions, etc. common to such systems, so it was clearly a false
positive.
All seems to be OK now.

George
Old March 25th 12, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

George Weston wrote:
On 25/03/2012 08:44, Guy Barry wrote:

My employer is a Local
Authority with all the expected firewalls, restrictions and security
restrictions, etc. common to such systems, so it was clearly a false
positive.

Not clearly at all. Just having all the security siftware and the money
spent on it is no guarantee that they weren't hacked. Or a virus
infected PC wasn't inside the network somewhere.

You need to be competent to deploy it and monitor it.

All seems to be OK now.

George

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old March 26th 12, 07:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Guy Barry

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in
message .myzen.co.uk...
In article , Guy Barry wrote:
Looks as though others are having the problem:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...going/td-p/108
8963/highlight/false

I've posted to the thread and hopefully there'll be some resolution.

The simplest answer is that if a thing doesn't work, if you can't fix it,

and
if nobody else can fix it either for whatever reason, then don't use it.

It
takes about 5 minutes to set up an alternative email address. Life's too

short
to fret about it.

That's what I'm currently doing. But I'm paying Virgin Media for a service,
and they don't appear to be providing it adequately. Their charges are
going up again by £1.50 next month and it'd be nice to get what I'm paying
for.

I prefer using the blueyonder.co.uk address for a number of reasons. One is
that I've given it out to a number of people including prospective
employers. Incoming mail doesn't appear to be affected, but I'd rather be
able to reply to it directly than have to switch to another account.

--
Guy Barry