Internal Telephone Wiring

Old March 29th 12, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

Default Internal Telephone Wiring

My house was built in late 70s. The exchange line terminates in a
standard patress box in the hall. We have 3 extensions starred out, one
in the lounge is a master socket.
My current router is on a 15 metre run up to a bedroom which we use as a
study. I have disconnect the orange pair as it is not needed and advice
elsewhere, b4 I discovered this group suggested it would help.
I had always assumed that extension wiring was twisted pair, but in fact
it isn't. So would my broadband speed be improved if I replaced this
long run with twisted pair- and is there an alternative source to cat 5
as I only need 1 pair.
Thanks in advice
--
hugh
Old March 29th 12, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

hugh wrote:
My house was built in late 70s. The exchange line terminates in a
standard patress box in the hall. We have 3 extensions starred out, one
in the lounge is a master socket.
My current router is on a 15 metre run up to a bedroom which we use as a
study. I have disconnect the orange pair as it is not needed and advice
elsewhere, b4 I discovered this group suggested it would help.
I had always assumed that extension wiring was twisted pair, but in fact
it isn't. So would my broadband speed be improved if I replaced this
long run with twisted pair- and is there an alternative source to cat 5
as I only need 1 pair.
Thanks in advice

Easiest to use Cat 5 cable ...

Having said that, what I would do:

1) Relocate master socket to hall, immediately adjacent to pattress box.

2) Fit faceplate microfilter to master socket.

3) Run conventional telephone extension wiring to all locations
requiring phone service - and connect this wiring to the correct points
on the faceplate microfilter. Given that this is several wires, use a
separate junction box, so that only one wire is punched into each
connector on the back of the microfilter (otherwise the wires will fal
out of the connector!).

4) Run Cat 5 cable with conventional RJ45 plugs from the ADSL outlet of
the microfilter to your study. Use a back-to-back RJ45 adapter to
connect from the Cat5 cable to the router, using the short length of
cable with RJ11 connects at both ends, that came with the router.
(Alternatively install Cat 5 cable with sockets at both ends, and
connect from the socket to the microfilter using a short Cat 5 patch cable.)

--
Graham J
Old March 29th 12, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

My daughter being in a rented house did not want to touch the wiring, and
had a loose extension lead running upstairs to the computer and getting no
broadband. I asked if this extension was flat and the reply was yes, I
suggested she replaced with a round cable, hoping that would be twisted, she
did and Broadband now works.
Regards
David

Old March 29th 12, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message , David
writes
My daughter being in a rented house did not want to touch the wiring,
and had a loose extension lead running upstairs to the computer and
getting no broadband. I asked if this extension was flat and the
reply was yes, I suggested she replaced with a round cable, hoping that
would be twisted, she did and Broadband now works.
Regards
David

My cable's round but it ain't twisted
--
hugh
Old March 29th 12, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"hugh" ] wrote in message
]...
In message , David
writes
My daughter being in a rented house did not want to touch the
wiring, and had a loose extension lead running upstairs to the
computer and getting no broadband. I asked if this extension
was flat and the reply was yes, I suggested she replaced with a
round cable, hoping that would be twisted, she did and
Broadband now works.
Regards
David

My cable's round but it ain't twisted
--
hugh

You need the modern candy-striped twisted pair, and if you don't
intend to use a phone in the socket just use one pair on 2 and 5.
It is type CW1308 and can be purchased in cut length (at a
price!) from Maplin, or by the reel from such as CPC.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 29th 12, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 29/03/2012 16:14, hugh wrote:
My house was built in late 70s. The exchange line terminates in a
standard patress box in the hall. We have 3 extensions starred out, one
in the lounge is a master socket.
My current router is on a 15 metre run up to a bedroom which we use as a
study. I have disconnect the orange pair as it is not needed and advice
elsewhere, b4 I discovered this group suggested it would help.
I had always assumed that extension wiring was twisted pair, but in fact
it isn't. So would my broadband speed be improved if I replaced this
long run with twisted pair- and is there an alternative source to cat 5
as I only need 1 pair.
Thanks in advice

Are you saying that your connection splits into 3 *before* the master
socket? Not good!

Install an NTE5 master where the pattress box currently is - and run
your extensions from that. Even better if you fit a filtered faceplate,
and run a separate dedicated unfiltered extension for your broadband
connection. That needs to be twisted pair - but not necessarily CAT5.
You can get proper 2 or 3 pair phone extension cable from some of the
sheds - or probably Maplins, as someone else has said. Terminate your
'digital' extension with an RJ11/RJ45 socket, so that the router cable
will plug straight in.

I assume that the master socket in the lounge is the old type without a
removable face-plate? If so, convert it to an extension socket by
removing the internal electrical components.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 30th 12, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

Of course, you could go wireless!

PA

Old March 30th 12, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message , Woody
writes
"hugh" ] wrote in message
]...
In message , David
writes
My daughter being in a rented house did not want to touch the
wiring, and had a loose extension lead running upstairs to the
computer and getting no broadband. I asked if this extension
was flat and the reply was yes, I suggested she replaced with a
round cable, hoping that would be twisted, she did and
Broadband now works.
Regards
David

My cable's round but it ain't twisted
--
hugh

You need the modern candy-striped twisted pair, and if you don't
intend to use a phone in the socket just use one pair on 2 and 5.
It is type CW1308 and can be purchased in cut length (at a
price!) from Maplin, or by the reel from such as CPC.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look for some
--
hugh
Old March 30th 12, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 29/03/2012 16:14, hugh wrote:
My house was built in late 70s. The exchange line terminates in a
standard patress box in the hall. We have 3 extensions starred out, one
in the lounge is a master socket.
My current router is on a 15 metre run up to a bedroom which we use as a
study. I have disconnect the orange pair as it is not needed and advice
elsewhere, b4 I discovered this group suggested it would help.
I had always assumed that extension wiring was twisted pair, but in fact
it isn't. So would my broadband speed be improved if I replaced this
long run with twisted pair- and is there an alternative source to cat 5
as I only need 1 pair.
Thanks in advice

Are you saying that your connection splits into 3 *before* the master
socket? Not good!

Yup.
Install an NTE5 master where the pattress box currently is - and run
your extensions from that. Even better if you fit a filtered faceplate,
and run a separate dedicated unfiltered extension for your broadband
connection. That needs to be twisted pair - but not necessarily CAT5.
You can get proper 2 or 3 pair phone extension cable from some of the
sheds - or probably Maplins, as someone else has said. Terminate your
'digital' extension with an RJ11/RJ45 socket, so that the router cable
will plug straight in.

I assume that the master socket in the lounge is the old type without a
removable face-plate? If so, convert it to an extension socket by
removing the internal electrical components.

Yes.

I've got BT coming shortly to install Infinity so I'll take it from
there. Will be interesting to see how far the engineer goes in sorting
out this BT installed mess.
--
hugh
Old March 30th 12, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message , Peter
Able writes
Of course, you could go wireless!

PA

Not had much success with wireless to date -too many brick walls I
think. Infinity will give me an N type router so that should be better.
But I have already installed 2 cat5 cables from my existing router
location to points were SWMBO likes to use her laptop. I may try
wireless to my Tv which is at the opposite end of the house on the floor
below and the other side of a brick wall.
Plan B involves running another cat 5
--
hugh