BT Open Zone vs O2 Dongle

Old March 31st 12, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default BT Open Zone vs O2 Dongle

Thinking of going to a caravan site which says Wi-Fi available and is BT
Open Zone,
free to BT customers others pay.
I have an O2 pay as you go Dongle, last year was 15 for a week with a usage
limit.

Anyone with any experience of these 2 systems and advise?

Regards
David

Old March 31st 12, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"David" writes:

Thinking of going to a caravan site which says Wi-Fi available and is
BT Open Zone,
free to BT customers others pay.

In my experience of using free wi-fi in hotels, it is often slow and I
tend to just end up the Web'n'walk plus I have on my phone.

I can imagine that covering a caravan site properly with wifi would be
expensive, so I wouldn't rely on it being good outside the bar.

BT Openzone is normally something that can be added to a domestic/business
broadband package, so I can imagine that BT have not been there and done
a proper Wi-fi survey.

I have an O2 pay as you go Dongle, last year was 15 for a week with a usage
limit.

Sounds a bit expensive, but then again O2 is a suits network and is not
the greatest when it comes to fun stuff, I would look at either 3 or
T-Mobile for this.

Anyone with any experience of these 2 systems and advise?

I have an unlocked dongle, and have found that the 50p a day internet
add-on from 3 is pretty good.

Phil
Old April 1st 12, 07:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Phil" wrote in message ...

"David" writes:

[...]

Thanks, Phil.
The O2 Dongle usually works well, and O2 do say one can use Open Zone free
in addition but although I have had Open Zone show as being available BT
asked me to pay.
Hotels with Wi-Fi I use is available in all public areas, the one I stayed
in last month was large and had 3 Units so as to cover all the public rooms.
Regards
David

Old April 1st 12, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On 31/03/2012 15:10, David wrote:
Thinking of going to a caravan site which says Wi-Fi available and is BT
Open Zone,
free to BT customers others pay.
I have an O2 pay as you go Dongle, last year was 15 for a week with a
usage
limit.

Anyone with any experience of these 2 systems and advise?

If you check the O2 web site you will see that you O2 subscription also
gets you access to unlimited downloads via BT Openzone wireless while
you have credit on the 3-G part.

http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/mobile/findoutmore

So as long as you device has a wireless connection and you load the o2
comms manager applications (you will know what I mean) you can use
either system while you have credit.

However my experience is that at a typical caravan site both 3-g access
and broadband are slow and un-reliable. I note some else mentioned "3"
and their coverage is typicaly not as good in rural areas.

Regards
David

Enjoy
Dave
Old April 1st 12, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Yes, that is what they say but in the past not found that to be so, ok
things can change, so I have put the location into the Hotspot finder and
get "Your search has located 0 hotspots"
Regards
David

Old April 2nd 12, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Yes there are many areas where 3 have no coverage or only 2G via Orange
infrastructure.

However there are also plenty of areas where O2 has no 3G and only the most
appallingly slow kind of data via 2G.
(Much of the Isle of Wight for instance).

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.