BE FTTC service unlikely in 2012

Old April 10th 12, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default BE FTTC service unlikely in 2012

For "lots of reasons" according to:
http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2012/04/update-on-fibre.html
but I suspect cost is a significant reason.
Old April 10th 12, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Andrew Benham wrote:
: For "lots of reasons" according to:
: http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2012/04/update-on-fibre.html
: but I suspect cost is a significant reason.

I had read previously that Be thought that they could not get an affordable
end-user price with what Openreach were currently charging for FTTC.

However many others have been forced into it to keep up (Sky, TalkTalk etc.)

Old April 10th 12, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

:
http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2012/04/update-on-fibre.html
: but I suspect cost is a significant reason.

I had read previously that Be thought that they could not get an affordable
end-user price with what Openreach were currently charging for FTTC.

However many others have been forced into it to keep up (Sky, TalkTalk etc.)

I have already got BE FTTC.

The cabinet is 300 meters away, and happens to be built of brick ;-)

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 11th 12, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Graham. wrote:
: I have already got BE FTTC.

How did you manage that? They don't have it as a product!

Old April 11th 12, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Brian Mc wrote:

wrote:
: I have already got BE FTTC.

How did you manage that? They don't have it as a product!

I suspect he means the fibre runs from BE to his nearest BT exchange,
and his premises are directly served over copper from there, without an
intervening cabinet!

Old April 11th 12, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:07:36 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Mc wrote:

wrote:
: I have already got BE FTTC.

How did you manage that? They don't have it as a product!

I suspect he means the fibre runs from BE to his nearest BT exchange,
and his premises are directly served over copper from there, without an
intervening cabinet!

I suspect you can't call it Fibre To The Cabinet without a cabinet :-)
Old April 11th 12, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

Brian Mc wrote:

wrote:
: I have already got BE FTTC.

How did you manage that? They don't have it as a product!

I suspect he means the fibre runs from BE to his nearest BT exchange,
and his premises are directly served over copper from there, without an
intervening cabinet!

I suspect you can't call it Fibre To The Cabinet without a cabinet :-)

Obviously it's Fibre To The Copper!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old April 11th 12, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Brian Mc wrote:

wrote:
: I have already got BE FTTC.

How did you manage that? They don't have it as a product!

I suspect he means the fibre runs from BE to his nearest BT exchange,
and his premises are directly served over copper from there, without an
intervening cabinet!

I suspect you can't call it Fibre To The Cabinet without a cabinet :-)

Obviously it's Fibre To The Copper!

I suppose the point that I was making is that I am closer to the
exchange than some people are to their designated FTTC cabinet.
It's a pity I am not offered VDSL direct from the exchange, but the
ADSL2+ speeds I get are more than adequate for the time being.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 11th 12, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:08:56 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
wrote:

For "lots of reasons" according to:
http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2012/04/update-on-fibre.html
but I suspect cost is a significant reason.

Zen are offering it now:
http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/bro...broadband.aspx
Old April 11th 12, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Scott wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote:

http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2012/04/update-on-fibre.html

Zen are offering it now:

A hundred and one ISPs are offering FTTC, but the point was, Be are
still not.