Will a fax machine work via voip?

Old April 10th 12, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default Will a fax machine work via voip?

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 00:22:03 +0100
John wrote:

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 23:31:27 +0100, John
wrote:

All in one phone/fax machine. If you switch to voip and use it
through an ATA, will the fax machine still work?

Sorry, just realised posted in wrong group.

Nonetheless, did it work?
--
Davey.
Old April 16th 12, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

All in one phone/fax machine. If you switch to voip and use it
through an ATA, will the fax machine still work?

Sorry, just realised posted in wrong group.

Nonetheless, did it work?

The question was on behalf of a friend, who had been considering
getting rid of his landline. I suggested voip but he wanted to know
if he could still fax.

If he does switch to voip I will let you know whether it does or not,
but judging by comments here it's going to be hit and miss.

--
John
Old April 16th 12, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

All in one phone/fax machine. If you switch to voip and use it
through an ATA, will the fax machine still work?
Sorry, just realised posted in wrong group.

Nonetheless, did it work?

The question was on behalf of a friend, who had been considering
getting rid of his landline. I suggested voip but he wanted to know
if he could still fax.

how else is he going to get an internet connection?
Cable?

If he does switch to voip I will let you know whether it does or not,
but judging by comments here it's going to be hit and miss.

well I haven't sent or needed to receive a fax in years...

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old April 17th 12, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message , John
writes

wrote:

All in one phone/fax machine. If you switch to voip and use it
through an ATA, will the fax machine still work?

Sorry, just realised posted in wrong group.

Nonetheless, did it work?

The question was on behalf of a friend, who had been considering
getting rid of his landline. I suggested voip but he wanted to know
if he could still fax.

If he does switch to voip I will let you know whether it does or not,
but judging by comments here it's going to be hit and miss.

Or very slowly - if at all. Probably bit-rate not high enough.

--
hugh