infinity questions

Old April 16th 12, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

Default infinity questions

I am thinking of getting infinity and have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to replace the provided kit with a single unit such as
the Draytek 2750?

If I did this, would I get complaints from BT?

Also, any one know if bt or the plusnet product is more throttled?

I note that the bt product is slightly more expensive but they claim it
is unlimited whereas plusnet has a limit which I could live with but I
know plusnet go in for throttling so would be good to know the
differences.

Also, the free bt fon is attractive but wonder if I could still access
this away from home if I use the draytek router?

Thanks

Old April 16th 12, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"nospam" newsgroup wrote in message
I am thinking of getting infinity and have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to replace the provided kit with a single unit such as
the Draytek 2750?

Should be, can't comment on particular model, but at the office we have a
2830 on Virgin cable and BT ADSL, works a treat.

If I did this, would I get complaints from BT?

No, but you might have trouble setting up.

Also, any one know if bt or the plusnet product is more throttled?

No idea, however I suggest that you review previous posts in this group to
guage their standards of customer service, for instance a few days ago there
was on "Plusnet hell".

I note that the bt product is slightly more expensive but they claim it
is unlimited whereas plusnet has a limit which I could live with but I
know plusnet go in for throttling so would be good to know the
differences.

The main advantage is that if it fails you don't have to talk to Plusnet
tubbies, who then talk to BT OPenreache's etc.

Also, the free bt fon is attractive but wonder if I could still access
this away from home if I use the draytek router?

Yes you can (and BT Openzone*).

Thanks

* BT Fon only appears on enabled routers and is for BT customers only.
on customer's routers BT Openzone also appears for BT customers only.
on BT public wi-fi other users (e.g. O2) can also log in.

Old April 16th 12, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/...750_setup.html

Old April 16th 12, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

I suggest that you review previous posts in this group to
guage their standards of customer service, for instance a few days ago there
was on "Plusnet hell".

That was from someone "reviving" a six year old thread!

Old April 17th 12, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 16/04/2012 17:22, nospam wrote:
I am thinking of getting infinity and have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to replace the provided kit with a single unit such as
the Draytek 2750?

Yes, I'm using one of these rather than the provided Openreach/Huawei
VDSL modem/Cable router combo - http://www.voipandgo.be/zyxel-p-2812hnu.html

If I did this, would I get complaints from BT?

Doubt it but an Openreach engineer would be reluctant to support your
setup if you ever needed to call one out. I suspect the same would apply
for any support you get from the ISP too. If you do go down this route
then I'd make sure you keep the Openreach modem/router combo handy
should you need to reinstate it for the purpose of raising a fault.

Also, any one know if bt or the plusnet product is more throttled?

The rate limiting on our fibre offerings can be seen below. Also worth
considering is the fact that upload on our fibre products is currently
restricted to 2Mbps unless you're taking part in our 80Mbps trial.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...d_speeds.shtml

I note that the bt product is slightly more expensive but they claim it
is unlimited whereas plusnet has a limit which I could live with but I
know plusnet go in for throttling so would be good to know the
differences.

Usage between Midnight and 8.00am won't be counted towards your
allowance with us.

Also, the free bt fon is attractive but wonder if I could still access
this away from home if I use the draytek router?

As mentioned by others, yes you would.

Old April 17th 12, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 16/04/2012 17:33, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"nospam"newsgroup wrote in message
I am thinking of getting infinity and have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to replace the provided kit with a single unit such as
the Draytek 2750?

Should be, can't comment on particular model, but at the office we have a
2830 on Virgin cable and BT ADSL, works a treat.

If I did this, would I get complaints from BT?

No, but you might have trouble setting up.

The only difficulty I had was the fact that the VLAN port was
incorrectly configured on the device I was given. I needed to change it
to 101 for my FTTC connection. Once I'd figured that out all I did was
create a PPPoE connection using the PTM interface on the router.

Old April 17th 12, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:33:43 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

"nospam" newsgroup wrote in message
.. .
I am thinking of getting infinity and have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to replace the provided kit with a single unit such as
the Draytek 2750?

Should be, can't comment on particular model, but at the office we have a
2830 on Virgin cable and BT ADSL, works a treat.

If I did this, would I get complaints from BT?

No, but you might have trouble setting up.

Also, any one know if bt or the plusnet product is more throttled?

No idea, however I suggest that you review previous posts in this group to
guage their standards of customer service, for instance a few days ago there
was on "Plusnet hell".

IME Plusnet is miles better than BT in every way. BT will have a
foreign call centre to call when things go wrong and they won't be
able to help you anyway. Chances are that BT will overcharge you too.

I note that the bt product is slightly more expensive but they claim it
is unlimited whereas plusnet has a limit which I could live with but I
know plusnet go in for throttling so would be good to know the
differences.

Beware any ISP that claims something is unlimited. It's a lie.

The main advantage is that if it fails you don't have to talk to Plusnet
tubbies, who then talk to BT OPenreache's etc.

No. It works the same with BT. You have to call their Indian call
centre and, if you're very luckly, they may contact Openreach. No ISP
has a priority there.

The only gripe with PN's fibre product is their supplied router which
does not work properly. However it will be simple to buy a different
one when I get a round tuit.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old April 17th 12, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Mark" wrote in message ...

Beware any ISP that claims something is unlimited. It's a lie.

My ISP Be not limiting me.
Regards
David

Old April 17th 12, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:40:01 +0100, "David"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message ...

Beware any ISP that claims something is unlimited. It's a lie.

My ISP Be not limiting me.

That may be true but there is no such thing as a truly unlimited
service.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old April 17th 12, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 17/04/2012 15:01, Mark wrote:
The only gripe with PN's fibre product is their supplied router which
does not work properly. However it will be simple to buy a different
one when I get a round tuit.

What's up with it? Is it the Netgear WNR1000 you have? I ask because I
didn't have any problems with it. In fact for me it performed more
favourably than some of the 300N routers we stock.