ping Bob Pullen

Old April 17th 12, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default ping Bob Pullen

Customer has Plusnet ADSL, lost connection 13:02 yesterday.

Router shows good ADSL sync but:

IP address = 172.16.x.y - changes every time it connects
Default gateway = 81.146.183.3
DSN server = 194.74.65.98

Web browser suggests that connection between BT wholesale and ISP is down.

Rang Plusnet; fault logged about 16:30 yesterday. Was not given a
support ticket number.

Tried to ring Plusnet today - "all agents busy ..."

Can you find out what's going on please?

The service should have static IP = 84.92.84.120 - you should be able to
find the account from that.

--
Graham J

Old April 19th 12, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 17/04/2012 14:41, Graham J wrote:
Customer has Plusnet ADSL, lost connection 13:02 yesterday.

Router shows good ADSL sync but:

IP address = 172.16.x.y - changes every time it connects
DSN server = 194.74.65.98

That's a BT DNS server address. Normally redirects you to a BT Wholesale
landing page/walled garden.

Can happen during/shortly after an outage or if BT have sent a PADT
packet down your line for one reason or another.

If a reboot doesn't fix then I'd normally suggest configuring your
router to explicitly use the following DNS server addresses (rather than
try to pick them up automatically).

212.159.6.10
8.8.8.8

Old April 19th 12, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Graham J wrote:
Customer has Plusnet ADSL, lost connection 13:02 yesterday.

Router shows good ADSL sync but:

IP address = 172.16.x.y - changes every time it connects
DSN server = 194.74.65.98

Web browser suggests that connection between BT wholesale and ISP is down.

Rang Plusnet; fault logged about 16:30 yesterday. Was not given a
support ticket number.

Tried to ring Plusnet today - "all agents busy ..."

Can you find out what's going on please?

The service should have static IP = 84.92.84.120 - you should be able to
find the account from that.

An update for you:

Initial failure was on Monday 16 April.

Yesterday afternoon (18 April) was able get through to Plusnet. At that
time the connection returned intermittently. They agreed to send an
Openreach engineer.

Today at 13:00 I arrive on site to wait for the engineer. At 13:20 the
connection comes up but with a private IP address. I assume engineer
has changed something at the exchange. Engineer arrives at 13:25 - but
denies changing anything at the exchange.

Tests line - agrees perfomance is not good - configures his tester to
log the results then finds it won't sync. Listens to the line - we now
very clearly hear crosstalk from a 3rd party's conversation.

Engineer tries a spare line into the building from the cabinet 400m away
- that also has crosstalk - can clearly hear the noise of an ADSL signal.

Engineer tries yet another spare line. This is quiet, and reports
around 8 Mbits/sec with 9.5 dB SNR margin on his tester

Connect to router - sync OK - but no PPPoA session. Wait.

Then ring Plusnet - lines busy, don't even get a recorded message.

Try Plusnet several times - eventually get through to find they have a
network-wide problem. They suggest trying again in half an hour.

I suspect this network fault has been present in some form since Monday
- how else do they explain the router being given a private IP address?

Now at 6pm the line is up and appears to be reliable.

My customer wants to charge somebody for the loss of service attributed
to the crosstalk on the line. Who should he approach?

--
Graham J

Old April 19th 12, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

whoever he pays his bills to.

But its likely unless he is on a business contact the small print says
'best efforts'

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old April 19th 12, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Graham J (for it is he) wrote:

My customer wants to charge somebody for the loss of service attributed
to the crosstalk on the line. Who should he approach?

Assuming Plusnet didn't get the kid on work experience to write their
standard broadband contracts, then it won't be Plusnet.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:37:37 up 98 days, 22:08, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.19, 0.49

Old April 20th 12, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Graham J submitted this idea :
My customer wants to charge somebody for the loss of service attributed to
the crosstalk on the line. Who should he approach?

He can charge anyone he likes; no-one's going to pay. Plusnet may be
gracious enough to refund a few days line rental.

Old April 22nd 12, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:48:54 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Plusnet Support Team disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

8.8.8.8

Some people may not be happy using a Google DNS server.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Old April 22nd 12, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

DrTeeth wrote:

Plusnet Support wrote:

8.8.8.8

Some people may not be happy using a Google DNS server.

So remember 4.2.2.2 instead