network setup advice

Old April 26th 12, 01:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nospam

Default network setup advice

I have a slightly complicated requirement and wonder if some of you
could offer some advice?

I have a draytek 2750 which provides wireless coverage of the house and
works well.

I have an office underneath the house with 3 computers 2 of which run
linux and the other has xp. I also have a hp8000 printer in the office.

The wireless signal down in the office is not reliable enough so I have
got a draytek ap-800 in the hope I can extend the range of the network.

What I would like to do but not sure if it is possible, is to connect
the computers and printer to the ports in the ap-800 and use the
wireless in the ap-800 to get access to the draytek 2750 and the outside
world.

I have not found the manual of the access point to be very
understandable so I wonder which mode in the access point would be best.

Also, I wonder if the devices in the office should use the dhcp server
of the access point or get their ip address from the 2750?

Thanks

Keith

Old April 26th 12, 05:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

nospam newsgroup wrote:
[...]

I'm not *sure* that the ap-800 can do what you want.

I have a set-up which works like this (i.e. a wireless router running
as *client* to a WiFi) but I spent a long time searching for a router
that could *definitely* do this. The router I have is a TP-Link model
TL-WR743ND which has what it calls a "WiFi client" mode which does
what you/I want.

I've looked at the ap-800 user manual and it does appear as if it can
do what you want though I agree the manual is far from clear.

Try asking Draytek support, I've found them quite helpful usually.

--
Chris Green
Old April 26th 12, 06:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:44:45 +0100, wrote:

Try asking Draytek support, I've found them quite helpful usually.

A great resource is the DrayTek UK Users Forum
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk
the use of which requires registration.
Old April 27th 12, 01:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mentalguy2k8

"nospam" newsgroup wrote in message
I have a slightly complicated requirement and wonder if some of you
could offer some advice?

I have a draytek 2750 which provides wireless coverage of the house and
works well.

I have an office underneath the house with 3 computers 2 of which run
linux and the other has xp. I also have a hp8000 printer in the office.

The wireless signal down in the office is not reliable enough so I have
got a draytek ap-800 in the hope I can extend the range of the network.

What I would like to do but not sure if it is possible, is to connect
the computers and printer to the ports in the ap-800 and use the
wireless in the ap-800 to get access to the draytek 2750 and the outside
world.

Sounds fine.

I have not found the manual of the access point to be very
understandable so I wonder which mode in the access point would be best.

Try looking here, click the "WDS" tab and see which mode suits you best:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/ap800.html

They're explained in more detail he

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_...00_Bridge.html

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_...0_Station.html

Also, I wonder if the devices in the office should use the dhcp server
of the access point or get their ip address from the 2750?

As I understand it, an access point (or a 2nd router set up as an access
point) won't perform DHCP addressing, that'll all be controlled by the
"main" router instead.

Old April 27th 12, 12:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Saville

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 23:26:39 UTC, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

snip

As I understand it, an access point (or a 2nd router set up as an access
point) won't perform DHCP addressing, that'll all be controlled by the
"main" router instead.

It might - safer to explicitly turn it off.

--
Regards
Dave Saville