Beware Chinese Bluesoleil Bluetooth Scam

Old April 26th 12, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Beware Chinese Bluesoleil Bluetooth Scam

In my search for a USB bluetooth device to transfer photos from my
Nokia C1 phone (with BT) to my Acer Notebook (sans BT), it was
recommended here and elsewhere that I could purchase a BT dongle for
about a 1 from Poundshop (or whatever). Well they didn't have any so
I went to eBay instead - and there were loads listed ranging from
1.50 to 5.00'ish.

I bought one from Plusbee at 1.70 (post free). It was clearly
described as plug and play, suitable for Windows 7, and fully
functional. It arrived the next day.

Great little device (I thought) - small enough to be kept permanently
plugged in. It came with a small CD with the drivers on. So I
installed it all - which took about 15 minutes.

But when trying to use it the bombshell was dropped. I kept getting
nagging popup windows stating:

"This copy of BlueSoleil is not licensed and is not eligible to
receive the full range of product support. BlueSoleil is running in
evaluation mode now and only 2MB data can be transferred."

http://www.bluesoleil.com/support/In...pic=Unlicensed

In garbled English this basically said that an additional s/w upgrade
and license key had to be purchased for the damn thing to work.

In fact its so-called 'evaluation mode' was a lie too - the device as
installed would not run under Windows 7 at all. The screen kept
blanking out every time I tried to use it. Then on the website the
FAQs it stated:

http://www.bluesoleil.com/support/FAQ.aspx

9. Q : Why cannot I turn on Bluetooth on windows7?
A : This problem has been fixed in BlueSoleil version8.
If your bluesoleil version is lower than 8.0.376.0, please update your
bluesoleil to version 8.0.376.0 or above.

AND TO UPGRADE TO THE LATEST VERSION 8.0.376.0 I WOULD HAVE TO PAY AN
ADDITIONAL 19 EUROS.

This was not mentioned in the eBay listing.

Apparently this is a deliberate scam perpetrated by BlueSoleil and its
dongle producers - sell the dongles as a 'loss leader' then hit the
hapless purchasers with an exorbitant s/w upgrade fee.

Now browsing the groups and forums I read time and time again of
problems with BlueSoleil s/w.

NOT GOOD.
Old April 26th 12, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message
, CJB
writes
[...]

A : This problem has been fixed in BlueSoleil version8.
If your bluesoleil version is lower than 8.0.376.0, please update your
bluesoleil to version 8.0.376.0 or above.

AND TO UPGRADE TO THE LATEST VERSION 8.0.376.0 I WOULD HAVE TO PAY AN
ADDITIONAL 19 EUROS.

This was not mentioned in the eBay listing.

Apparently this is a deliberate scam perpetrated by BlueSoleil and its
dongle producers - sell the dongles as a 'loss leader' then hit the
hapless purchasers with an exorbitant s/w upgrade fee.

Now browsing the groups and forums I read time and time again of
problems with BlueSoleil s/w.

NOT GOOD.

Presumaby you've gone through the e-bay complaints process.
--
hugh
Old April 26th 12, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

I note that on the Bluesoleil site it says:

"BlueSoleil 6 users have free access to the latest version. All you have to
do is simply download and install the software accordingly."

Any help?

PA
(Bluesoleil dongle user)

Old April 26th 12, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:12:46 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

[...]

A : This problem has been fixed in BlueSoleil version8.
If your bluesoleil version is lower than 8.0.376.0, please update your
bluesoleil to version 8.0.376.0 or above.

AND TO UPGRADE TO THE LATEST VERSION 8.0.376.0 I WOULD HAVE TO PAY AN
ADDITIONAL 19 EUROS.

This was not mentioned in the eBay listing.

Apparently this is a deliberate scam perpetrated by BlueSoleil and its
dongle producers - sell the dongles as a 'loss leader' then hit the
hapless purchasers with an exorbitant s/w upgrade fee.

Now browsing the groups and forums I read time and time again of
problems with BlueSoleil s/w.

NOT GOOD.

PoundWORLD stock them, branded "Livewire H-28236. I can't fault them.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 27th 12, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:12:46 -0700, CJB wrote:

But when trying to use it the bombshell was dropped. I kept getting
nagging popup windows stating:

1) remove the device
2) uninstall the drivers and s/w
3) make sure the device driver cd is not in the machine
4) plug the device back in
5) see if windows recognises and loads default drivers for the device

Hopefully you can now use the windows drivers to pair the device to
bluetooth items and browse / transfer files using the explorer.

You may not need to use the software that came with the device at all.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old April 27th 12, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

You don't need to install and use Bluesoleil

Old April 27th 12, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

I got an unbranded one from Aria for 2.50p - works fine, installed
automatically.

Not seen them in a pound shop yet...

"CJB" wrote in message
[...]

A : This problem has been fixed in BlueSoleil version8.

Old April 27th 12, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

On Apr 27, 1:26*am, Denis McMahon wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:12:46 -0700, CJB wrote:
But when trying to use it the bombshell was dropped. I kept getting
nagging popup windows stating:

1) remove the device
2) uninstall the drivers and s/w
3) make sure the device driver cd is not in the machine
4) plug the device back in
5) see if windows recognises and loads default drivers for the device

Hopefully you can now use the windows drivers to pair the device to
bluetooth items and browse / transfer files using the explorer.

You may not need to use the software that came with the device at all.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Thank you. I tried removing all s/w installed and then running this
device as plug and play yet still nothing happens. It is ignored by
Windows - period. Apparently there's a license key burnt into the
device which limits its use to 2Mb total - but then it doesn't work
anyway.

Chris B.
Old April 28th 12, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Frustrated of Wapping

"CJB" wrote:

[snipped Bluesoleil Bluetooth woes]

I managed to persuade my Tesco micro bluetooth dongle to use the built-in
Windows stack instead of the Bluesoleil driver it came with (which wasn't
'limited' AFAIK, it was just crap).

Less than helpfully I can't remember exactly how, but I do remember that I
was trying to make my Wii remotes visible in Windows (which Bluesoleil
wouldn't do) and looking on http://www.wiimoteproject.com/ leads me to
http://bluetoothinstaller.com/ which I'm 90% sure is what I used. This was
on Vista but no reason it shouldn't work on W7 too.

Hope that helps!

FoW

Old April 29th 12, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

On Apr 27, 8:42*am, "Nicola Redwood" nicolaexternal-
wrote:
You don't need to install and use Bluesoleil

The Bluesoleil device wont install with simply plug&play.

Nor will the Sitecom CN-516

So its off to PoundWorld tomorrow !!

Chris B.