OT DVI Splitter

Old April 27th 12, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default OT DVI Splitter

I recently bought (from ebay) a DVI splitter and a long DVI to HDMI
cable so I can watch iplayer and other downloaded stuff on the TV.

The cable works fine but not the splitter. I have a dual DVI output
and two monitors. I was hoping to use the splitter so the 2nd monitor
and the TV showed the same output, but all I get is a blank screen,
not just on the TV but on the monitor as well. I have also tried
using the splitter on the main monitor output but get exactly the same
result.

I have emailed the seller and he has told me I an send it back for a
refund but said that it was to do with a compatability issue and gave
me the following wikipedia link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...#Dual-link_DVI

which to be honest didn't mean a great deal to me.

So the question is, what are my alternatives? Is there anything else
I can use as opposed to a splitter? At the moment I am disconnected
the monitor lead and putting the dvi/hdmi lead in but it's a PITA.
--
John
Old April 27th 12, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message , John
writes
[...]

From a quick glance the reference is to dual DVI, i.e. a higher
bandwidth than normal DVI, and nothing to do with splitting a single DVI
channel between two devices.
--
hugh
Old April 27th 12, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , John
writes
[...]

From a quick glance the reference is to dual DVI, i.e. a higher bandwidth
than normal DVI, and nothing to do with splitting a single DVI channel
between two devices.
--
hugh

Indeed it is for driving top end monitor which need more bandwidth than a
regular DVI cable can provide...

Old April 28th 12, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:49:44 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , John
writes
[...]

From a quick glance the reference is to dual DVI, i.e. a higher
bandwidth than normal DVI, and nothing to do with splitting a single DVI
channel between two devices.

So is it just a case that the splitter is faulty? I was reluctant to
get a replacement in case the same thing happened.

--
John
Old April 28th 12, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

John wrote...

So is it just a case that the splitter is faulty?

Can you give a link to the splitter you bought.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Old April 28th 12, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 02:37:49 +0100, UnsteadyKen
wrote:

John wrote...

So is it just a case that the splitter is faulty?

Can you give a link to the splitter you bought.

Yes no problem. Please note that I do not have an issue with the
seller as they offered a full refund.

Go to ebay and put 110742633705 in the search bar. Should be
Rhinocables.

I was looking at another one last night for around 7 which said it
supported resolutions up to 1024 x 768 so I am wondering if this might
be the problem?

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/1-to-2-dvi-splitter.html

--
John
Old April 28th 12, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

John wrote...

I was looking at another one last night for around 7 which said it
supported resolutions up to 1024 x 768 so I am wondering if this might
be the problem?

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/1-to-2-dvi-splitter.html

Ta, I wasn't sure if it was a Y cable splitter or an active device.

I'm not sure but I would think that a passive Y cable would only work
with 2 identical devices.

DVI is a two way thing, when connected, the output device queries the
display to establish what the display device is capable of and then
ouputs the video in a format which suits the display.
If it is getting replies from 2 different devices on the same cable it
may be getting confused and outputting a signal which neither can
display, or it may just think that there is no display connected.

Either way, both the monitor and TV must be set to and capable of the
same display resolution, timing etc. If they are not then I suspect
that a buffered distribution amplifier would be required, something
like the examples in these links http://goo.gl/8CAu8
http://www.dvigear.com/dvi1x2.html

Old April 29th 12, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , UnsteadyKen
wrote:
I was looking at another one last night for around 7 which said it
supported resolutions up to 1024 x 768 so I am wondering if this might
be the problem?

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/1-to-2-dvi-splitter.html

Ta, I wasn't sure if it was a Y cable splitter or an active device.

I'm not sure but I would think that a passive Y cable would only work
with 2 identical devices.

I would consider myself lucky if a passive splitter worked in a usable
manner with video at all. If it includes the necessary resistors to
maintain correct impedance matching there will be a loss of level, and you
would need to use monitors with sufficent range on their contrast controls
to make up for this, which is unlikely, so you'd probably get very dim
pictures. If it doesn't include any attempt at impedance matching, then
you'll get signal reflections, the exact result of which will depend on
the lengths of the cables.

The correct thing to do if you want the same video feed to display on
several monitors is to use a distribution amplifier. Each output will have
the correct amplitude when terminated, and an output impedance that
matches the cable, so cable length will not affect the quality.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old April 29th 12, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:07:08 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

The correct thing to do if you want the same video feed to display on
several monitors is to use a distribution amplifier. Each output will have
the correct amplitude when terminated, and an output impedance that
matches the cable, so cable length will not affect the quality.

This is the sort of thing you need:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/277...itter/KVM0048/

Switch boces are sometimes called splitters but you don't want one of them.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old April 29th 12, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Roderick Stewart (for it is he) wrote:

I would consider myself lucky if a passive splitter worked in a usable
manner with video at all. If it includes the necessary resistors to
maintain correct impedance matching there will be a loss of level, and you
would need to use monitors with sufficent range on their contrast controls
to make up for this, which is unlikely, so you'd probably get very dim
pictures.

We're talking about a digital signal here.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
11:24:53 up 108 days, 13:56, 5 users, load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.11