No ADSL Sync - Have I checked everything?

Old May 2nd 12, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Default No ADSL Sync - Have I checked everything?

Hello,

I moved house recently and broadband was supposed to be installed this week.
When I moved in I connected up a router and got an 8Mbps sync back to the
exchange. I asked my broadband supplier to move the service to the new
house and kept switching on the router once a day to find out when it went
live. A couple of days ago the router stopped syncing to the exchange. I
thought this was a good sign as it meant something was being done with my
order, however, the service is now live but I still have no sync.

I've checked the following

3 different routers. 1 which was in service in the old house. 1 which was
in service in December. 1 which worked the last time I had a working
connection to check it on.

4 different microfilters. 1 which was in use in the old house. An ADSL
Nation filter that was in use in December. 2 new filters which haven't been
used.

3 ADSL RJ11 cables. One flat which came with a 2WIRE 2700HGV router. 2
twisted cables from ADSL Nation, 1 0.5m and a second 1m.

I've tested in the test socket behind the master socket faceplate plus the
master socket faceplate and an extension.

Is there anything I've missed? I've reported the fault and am waiting for
BT to call me back but want to be sure I done everything I can before they
come out.

Thanks.

--

WCZ

Old May 2nd 12, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

What as your ISP advised on the Status of your order since you put your
order in?
My ISP, Be, advised me on each step of the way.
Is your order status shown for your account on your ISPs web site?
Regards
David

Old May 2nd 12, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"David" wrote in message
What as your ISP advised on the Status of your order since you put your
order in?
My ISP, Be, advised me on each step of the way.
Is your order status shown for your account on your ISPs web site?
Regards
David

I spoke to them last night and the order is completed. It should be live
now but isn't.

Old May 2nd 12, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

WCZ wrote:
[...]

There's your problem: BT.

If you had your original ADSL service from a reputable supplier you woud
have been able to ask for a "Seamless Transfer" to the new line. It
would have been necessary to have taken ownership of the new phone line
at least a week in advance; alternatively to have asked the telephone
provider for a "Simultaneous Provide", to have made a note of the
reference number given you for the simultaneous provide, and to have
given that reference number to your ISP.

There are some ISPs that cannot achieve a "Seamless Transfer" - from
experience, Demon Internet is one, so your first step might have been to
have migrated to a suitable ISP.

For all those planning a move to a new location, please talk to your ISP
at least 6 weeks in advance and find out exactly what you have to do.

--
Graham J

Old May 2nd 12, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
WCZ wrote:
[...]

I took over the line and when it was connected I asked for the BB to be
moved. That took an additional 7 days to do.

There is nothing other than BT kit in the exchange so my options were
limited. I'd have preferred to have gone with O2\Be but no option.

I don't see how either of these would have caused a loss of sync problem.
Assuming it's not my equipment then it's either a line fault or an exchange
fault and I don't see how either would have been avoided using another ISP
as BTs engineers would still be needed to do anything in the exchange.

There are some ISPs that cannot achieve a "Seamless Transfer" - from
experience, Demon Internet is one, so your first step might have been to
have migrated to a suitable ISP.

For all those planning a move to a new location, please talk to your ISP
at least 6 weeks in advance and find out exactly what you have to do.

I did that. Take over line and let us know when its active was the answer.

--
Graham J

Old May 2nd 12, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

You don't mention whether the phone line is live. What happens when
you try to make a call? Can you hear any noise when you lift the
receiver?

On Wed, 2 May 2012 09:45:01 +0100, "WCZ"
wrote:

I've checked the following

Old May 2nd 12, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Java Jive" wrote in message
You don't mention whether the phone line is live. What happens when
you try to make a call? Can you hear any noise when you lift the
receiver?

Phone line works just fine. No noise when I did a quiet line test last
night.

On Wed, 2 May 2012 09:45:01 +0100, "WCZ"
wrote:

I've checked the following

Old May 2nd 12, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 02 May 2012 10:18:20 +0100

WCZ wrote:
[...]

When I moved back here from the US, I was advised by local friends to
avoid BT for broadband, as it would take at least a fortnight to get
connected, and their service was terrible. So I went with Zen, and I
had service three days before it was supposed to be active.
They also offer Seamless Transfer if I should need it.
--
Davey.
Old May 2nd 12, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

WCZ wrote:
[...]

I didn't sign up with BT for broadband but I have to wait for OpenReach to
call to discuss the fault and arrange for an engineer visit. All my
exchange has is BT kit. No option but to deal with OpenReach for faults.
It's all BT though just a different part of it.

--

WCZ