BT Home Hub 3.0B Giving Limited Wireless Access

Old May 2nd 12, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Ward

Default BT Home Hub 3.0B Giving Limited Wireless Access

I'm the account holder for a BT Broadband service with the router BT
Home Hub 3.0B. Say I want to give limited wireless access to a couple
of housemates, can I do this with this router? I want to maintain full
speed (or as close to it as possible) for myself while allowing them
limited bandwidth. I can't see a way in the router settings of
achieving this.

Thanks.
Old May 3rd 12, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 2 May 2012 19:21:40 +0100, Stephen Ward
wrote:

I'm the account holder for a BT Broadband service with the router BT
Home Hub 3.0B. Say I want to give limited wireless access to a couple
of housemates, can I do this with this router? I want to maintain full
speed (or as close to it as possible) for myself while allowing them
limited bandwidth. I can't see a way in the router settings of
achieving this.

Few consumer routers have bandwidth control like this IME. I doubt the
BT HH will. I suggest buying a better router.

Also please not post HTML on this NG.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old May 3rd 12, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

I'm the account holder for a BT Broadband service with the router BT
Home Hub 3.0B. Say I want to give limited wireless access to a couple
of housemates, can I do this with this router? I want to maintain full
speed (or as close to it as possible) for myself while allowing them
limited bandwidth. I can't see a way in the router settings of
achieving this.

Few consumer routers have bandwidth control like this IME. I doubt the
BT HH will. I suggest buying a better router.

Also please not post HTML on this NG.

:-)

in the old days something like an access point connected via a serial
link as a throttle would have been something to cobble up.

Sadly even a 10Mbps ethernet link s well able to saturate most DSL
connections.

Frankly you are likely to spend more on any solution than simply upping
your bandwidth limits and charging the housemates.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old May 3rd 12, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message , Mark
writes
wrote:

I'm the account holder for a BT Broadband service with the router BT
Home Hub 3.0B. Say I want to give limited wireless access to a couple
of housemates, can I do this with this router? I want to maintain full
speed (or as close to it as possible) for myself while allowing them
limited bandwidth. I can't see a way in the router settings of
achieving this.

Few consumer routers have bandwidth control like this IME. I doubt the
BT HH will. I suggest buying a better router.

Also please not post HTML on this NG.

Has the OP looked at the FON service facility? I've just got the same
router and was about to look into offering access to a neighbour who
spends a good part of the year abroad and wants a broadband service
better and cheaper than a dongle when he is actually in the UK.
--
hugh
Old May 10th 12, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 03/05/2012 16:54, hugh wrote:

Has the OP looked at the FON service facility? I've just got the same
router and was about to look into offering access to a neighbour who
spends a good part of the year abroad and wants a broadband service
better and cheaper than a dongle when he is actually in the UK.

Further to my question the other day (Orange Wi-Fi Bubble thing) I was
trying to find the best way to access BT_fon hotspots not realising FON
was the service and BT merely a partner helping to roll it out.
Just ordered up a FON box last night to provide a Wi-Fi hot spot in our
shop on the rarely used back-up ADSL line (only use a few hundred MB
from the 10 GB monthly allowance 7 Plusnet bargain) Plus it then
allows me access to all the other BT/Fon hotspots... may even pick up a
signal in the house I was looking for mobile broadband for the other day.

Sharing un-used bandwidth and being able to use that of others when
travelling is a genius idea. Need to get more Fon-Rangers active.
:))