Recommend a vanilla ADSL2+ modem?

Old May 7th 12, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Rowe

Default Recommend a vanilla ADSL2+ modem?

Our exchange is finally due to be upgraded so I'm looking to retire my
long-serving Speedtouch frog. I'm looking for a reliable ADSL2+ modem
sans wireless & firewall, it will plug straight into my Linux server.

There seem to be a number of low-end single port modems, I guess I'm
looking for something like my old ADSLNation modem that gave out the
PPP config via a DCHP lease and bridged all traffic. Actually I really
want a single port version of

http://linitx.com/product/12606

but I ain't paying 186 for one of these. Suggestions anyone?
Old May 7th 12, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Simon Rowe was thinking very hard :
Our exchange is finally due to be upgraded so I'm looking to retire my
long-serving Speedtouch frog. I'm looking for a reliable ADSL2+ modem
sans wireless & firewall, it will plug straight into my Linux server.

There seem to be a number of low-end single port modems, I guess I'm
looking for something like my old ADSLNation modem that gave out the
PPP config via a DCHP lease and bridged all traffic. Actually I really
want a single port version of

http://linitx.com/product/12606

but I ain't paying 186 for one of these. Suggestions anyone?

Does it have to be internally installed?

Old May 7th 12, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Rowe

On May 7, 11:16*am, Jono wrote:

Does it have to be internally installed?

No, preferable but I realise it's unlikely. I'll just have to put the
wall-wart on the UPS too.
Old May 7th 12, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html
Old May 7th 12, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

On May 7, 11:16*am, Jono wrote:

Does it have to be internally installed?

No, preferable but I realise it's unlikely. I'll just have to put the
wall-wart on the UPS too.

Andy's suggested what I was going to suggest - the Vigor 120. Use quite
a few of them myself.

Old May 7th 12, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wibble

"Simon Rowe" wrote in message
Our exchange is finally due to be upgraded so I'm looking to retire my
long-serving Speedtouch frog. I'm looking for a reliable ADSL2+ modem
sans wireless & firewall, it will plug straight into my Linux server.

There seem to be a number of low-end single port modems, I guess I'm
looking for something like my old ADSLNation modem that gave out the
PPP config via a DCHP lease and bridged all traffic. Actually I really
want a single port version of

http://linitx.com/product/12606

but I ain't paying 186 for one of these. Suggestions anyone?

Something from Solwise?
http://www.solwise.co.uk/

Old May 7th 12, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Rowe

On May 7, 11:30*am, Andy Burns wrote:
Simon Rowe wrote:
Our exchange is finally due to be upgraded so I'm looking to retire my
long-serving Speedtouch frog. I'm looking for a reliable ADSL2+ modem
sans wireless& *firewall, it will plug straight into my Linux server.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html

Thanks, that looks like it'll do the job,

Simon
Old May 7th 12, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Simon Rowe wrote:
Our exchange is finally due to be upgraded so I'm looking to retire my
long-serving Speedtouch frog. I'm looking for a reliable ADSL2+ modem
sans wireless& firewall, it will plug straight into my Linux server.

There seem to be a number of low-end single port modems, I guess I'm
looking for something like my old ADSLNation modem that gave out the
PPP config via a DCHP lease and bridged all traffic. Actually I really
want a single port version of

http://linitx.com/product/12606

but I ain't paying 186 for one of these. Suggestions anyone?

44 single port, though it looks like a router on a chip stuck on a pci
card - so I guess won't give the same control as a traditional pci modem.

http://linitx.com/product/12181

If not something you can put openwrt or routertech on to be able to
disable contrack if that's what you need - may be a bit of a hack though.

I've done it on a single port solwise (don't think they still sell mine)
with routertech firmware - but as I said it was a bit hackish getting it
to sort of behave like a bridge.

Single port/no wireless tend to have less ram/flash to play with than
wireless.
Old May 7th 12, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Simon Rowe wrote:
Our exchange is finally due to be upgraded so I'm looking to retire my
long-serving Speedtouch frog. I'm looking for a reliable ADSL2+ modem
sans wireless & firewall, it will plug straight into my Linux server.

There seem to be a number of low-end single port modems, I guess I'm
looking for something like my old ADSLNation modem that gave out the
PPP config via a DCHP lease and bridged all traffic. Actually I really
want a single port version of

http://linitx.com/product/12606

but I ain't paying 186 for one of these. Suggestions anyone?

DP link for cheap.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old May 7th 12, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Simon Rowe wrote:

I'm looking for a reliable ADSL2+ modem sans wireless & firewall

DP link for cheap.

TP-Link I presume, but they only list one non-router modem, and even
that has a firewall.