O2 rout no instructions

Old May 10th 12, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Default O2 rout no instructions

A friend with no computer know-how has O2 broadband. It failed a couple of
days ago. After finally getting through to their phone support she was
sent a new router. But it came with no instructions. Before I volunteer to
drive over and try to help get it set up for her ageing lap top I'm
curious to know if that absence of any documentation is common? Is there a
routine installation procedure for routers in general these days? It's
been years since I installed my own.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 10th 12, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Hi
I'm with O2's sister Be who sent me a new router, you just plug it in and
switch on.
For the wireless connection I just change the Security key to one of my own
and changed the Admin password of the router, the default is the s/n of the
box.
Regards
David

Old May 10th 12, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Terry Pinnell wrote:
A friend with no computer know-how has O2 broadband. It failed a couple of
days ago. After finally getting through to their phone support she was
sent a new router. But it came with no instructions. Before I volunteer to
drive over and try to help get it set up for her ageing lap top I'm
curious to know if that absence of any documentation is common? Is there a
routine installation procedure for routers in general these days? It's
been years since I installed my own.

1) Connect router to computer using an ethernet cable. Power up router
and computer.

2) Use IPCONFIG /ALL command to identify the IP address of the router.

3) Open a web browser at that IP address. It likely will ask you for a
username and password.

So from a working internet connection, google for the make and model of
router to find the default password. Alternatively, refer to the
documentation that was sent with the first router.

Put in the username and password.

4) Find the page in the router where you put in the PPPoA username and
password for the ADSL service. This will be on the original
documentation that was sent with the first router.

Some ISPs pre-configure the router with the correct username and
password. Others (BT for example, on domestic services) do not actually
require a username and password (any text will suffice).

In these cases the only requirement is step 1. The router should connect.

However, given that there is a fault, the least likely cause is the
router. Of course for O2 this is the easiest problem to fix - they
don't have to think, and it you that has to spend time and effort
driving there to solve the problem.

There is a moral there somwhere ?!?!?

--
Graham J

Old May 10th 12, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Seems from your dealings O2 very different to Be.
I deal very efficiently and quickly with Be via Members forum or raising a
Support ticket via my web account, I do not actual talk to them.
Regards
David

Old May 10th 12, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Graham J [email protected] wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

Thanks both. Certainly not a no-brainer then, particularly for a 75 year
old non-techie.

Yes, it occurred to me too that this smacked suspiciously of the O2
support person taking the line of least resistance and then not even
bothering to ensure instructions were included.

Unfortunately it's an hour's trip each way, or I'd have simply
investigated on site. And I also don't relish trying to use an unfamiliar
laptop on a non-XP OS.

Before learning about the new router I'd checked O2 server status and
there were a couple of maintenance events that seemed possible candidates
for her service being down. I'm still inclined to suspect that rather than
the sudden demise of the router, albeit an old one.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 10th 12, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

Just learned that she's up and running again. She called O2 again and this
one was helpful. The fault was eventually isolated to a phone cable
running from downstairs to upstairs via an external route. She normally
uses it upstairs (with printer alongside). With router instead now plugged
*directly* into downstairs phone socket, service resumed with no further
configuration, passwords, CDs, etc.

So there was nothing wrong with the original router.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 10th 12, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Just learned that she's up and running again. She called O2 again and this
one was helpful. The fault was eventually isolated to a phone cable
running from downstairs to upstairs via an external route. She normally
uses it upstairs (with printer alongside). With router instead now plugged
*directly* into downstairs phone socket, service resumed with no further
configuration, passwords, CDs, etc.

So there was nothing wrong with the original router.

Yes, users are their own worst enemy.

I suggest you plan a visit, taking microfilters, phone cable, drills and
other useful tools, and set up the router where it can't be re-plugged
by the user.

At least you will know the situation and be in a better position to help
in future.

--
Graham J

Old May 10th 12, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Hi
Glad it is sorted, but I thought it was standard practice to have ones
router in first socket in the house.
When you get there might be nothing wrong with the extension to upstairs for
voice calls just not good enough for broadband.
Regards
David
PS
With Be I get the impression they wanting to replace the original router to
the latest type.

Old May 10th 12, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 10 May 2012 09:02:24 +0100, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

4) Find the page in the router where you put in the PPPoA username and
password for the ADSL service. This will be on the original
documentation that was sent with the first router.

If O2 uses a similar protocol to Be then it is LLC-Based Multiplexing and no
user/password authentication for the aDSL connection. So the WAN side would
come pre-configured and only the admin access, wireless if any and whatever
port forwards or DMZs etc. will need configuration.

Old May 10th 12, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 10 May 2012 13:35:05 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

On Thu, 10 May 2012 09:02:24 +0100, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

4) Find the page in the router where you put in the PPPoA username and
password for the ADSL service. This will be on the original
documentation that was sent with the first router.

If O2 uses a similar protocol to Be then it is LLC-Based Multiplexing and no
user/password authentication for the aDSL connection. So the WAN side would
come pre-configured and only the admin access, wireless if any and whatever
port forwards or DMZs etc. will need configuration.

Also VCI = "101" rather than the more common "32"

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%