question -PO engineer visit to 'connect' broadband & phone?

Old May 10th 12, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Davis

Default question -PO engineer visit to 'connect' broadband & phone?

Hi,

I recently signed up for the Post Office's Broadband and Home Phone Extra
service, for a house I haven't moved into yet.

I was very surprised to hear that a PO engineer visited the house today,
found no-one in, and knocked on a neighbour's door to ask how he could get
in to the property. She happened to have a set of keys, assumed he was
legitimate, and let him in.

He said the reason he needed to get in was to connect the phone line.

However, there was already a phone line to the house, albeit disconnected
for about a year or so.

The Post Office did not tell me beforehand that an engineer needed to
visit.

Might something dodgy be going on here?

Harry
Old May 10th 12, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 10 May 2012 13:13:19 +0000 (UTC), Harry Davis
wrote:

Hi,

I recently signed up for the Post Office's Broadband and Home Phone Extra
service, for a house I haven't moved into yet.

I was very surprised to hear that a PO engineer visited the house today,
found no-one in, and knocked on a neighbour's door to ask how he could get
in to the property. She happened to have a set of keys, assumed he was
legitimate, and let him in.

He said the reason he needed to get in was to connect the phone line.

However, there was already a phone line to the house, albeit disconnected
for about a year or so.

The Post Office did not tell me beforehand that an engineer needed to
visit.

Might something dodgy be going on here?

Harry

I think you can be confident about one thing, this engineer was not
employed by Post Office Broadband.

Talk Talk does or did outsource field engineers from a company called
(IIRC) "Qube" and passed them off as their own staff but used them
for problem solving rather than initial installations.

Are you quite sure this wasn't a BT Openreach engineer checking your
reinstated line, and somebody whimsically referred to them as "The
Post Office"?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old May 10th 12, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Harry Davis" wrote in message
Hi,

I recently signed up for the Post Office's Broadband and Home Phone Extra
service, for a house I haven't moved into yet.

I was very surprised to hear that a PO engineer visited the house today,
found no-one in, and knocked on a neighbour's door to ask how he could get
in to the property. She happened to have a set of keys, assumed he was
legitimate, and let him in.

He said the reason he needed to get in was to connect the phone line.

However, there was already a phone line to the house, albeit disconnected
for about a year or so.

The Post Office did not tell me beforehand that an engineer needed to
visit.

Might something dodgy be going on here?

Harry

It would be a BT Openreach engineer, and they are required for new lines and
/ or Infinity or whatever the PO calls their service.

I had calls from the PO around ten years ago on a prepaid service. One day
the relaunched it as post paid, claiming greater savings. Actually the
prices went up, with a minimum call charge and some international
destinations (e.g. the Netherlands) quadrupling in price. They lied and
lied, but eventually sent me a cheque for the balance on my account.

Old May 10th 12, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Unless rules change BT engineers would not enter your house unless you have
someone there, refused me leaving a key for them some years back.
Regards
David

Old May 10th 12, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Davis

Thanks to everyone who has replied on this. I've now found out that the
chap did say he was a BT Open Reach engineer (although my contract is
with the Post Office.) My neighbour walked him to the door and opened it
for him, but did not go in. He then dropped the key back to her when he
left.

I suppose the Post Office must have subcontracted the work out to BT.

But why did he need to get into the house? There's a phone line and
socket there, although no phone has been connected for a year.

I am surprised I got no notice of him coming.

Harry

Old May 10th 12, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 10/05/2012 17:10, Harry Davis wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has replied on this. I've now found out that the
chap did say he was a BT Open Reach engineer (although my contract is
with the Post Office.) My neighbour walked him to the door and opened it
for him, but did not go in. He then dropped the key back to her when he
left.

I suppose the Post Office must have subcontracted the work out to BT.

But why did he need to get into the house? There's a phone line and
socket there, although no phone has been connected for a year.

I am surprised I got no notice of him coming.

Harry

No matter who your ISP is, the wires to your property and the connection
in the exchange are provided by Openreach. The Post Office don't have
any engineers - they just provide the "service" itself.
If a line existed but was disconnected years ago, then it is logical
that Openreach would need access to the premises to carry out an
end-to-end check of their line and to rectify any problems found.
The only thing is dodgy is the entry into your premises without your
express permission.
However, they could probably justify that by the fact that you had
provided such unrestricted access to your neighbour and that he or she
was the one who gave them permission to enter, on your behalf.

George
Old May 10th 12, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

A relative was moving into a new house and had applied for the telephone
service to be transferred to him. BT informed him he would have to wait
sometime as there was a fault. One day the phone rang he answered a wrong
number but the caller was actually at BT! He told them his line was
supposed to have a major fault but if so how come this BT man was talking to
him, his phone was up and running next day.
He was going to have to wait he was told for this major fault to be cured by
a new cable and digging up somewhere to do the work.
Regards
David

Old May 10th 12, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"David" wrote in message
Unless rules change BT engineers would not enter your house unless you
have someone there, refused me leaving a key for them some years back.
Regards
David

Still holds true, but if the property is empty on occasions, with the
engineers neck on the block in case something untoward does happen, they
will, in the interest of getting the job done and increasing their stat.

Old May 10th 12, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Thu, 10 May 2012 16:10:25 +0000 (UTC), Harry Davis
wrote:

Thanks to everyone who has replied on this. I've now found out that the
chap did say he was a BT Open Reach engineer (although my contract is
with the Post Office.) My neighbour walked him to the door and opened it
for him, but did not go in. He then dropped the key back to her when he
left.

I suppose the Post Office must have subcontracted the work out to BT.

Technically, I think you will find that the network infrastructure
belongs to BT / Openreach and the Post Office is leasing capacity from
them an reselling it. 'The work' is work carried out by BT on the BT
network so is not contracted or subcontracted by the Post Office.
Old May 10th 12, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Harry Davis wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has replied on this. I've now found out that the
chap did say he was a BT Open Reach engineer (although my contract is
with the Post Office.) My neighbour walked him to the door and opened it
for him, but did not go in. He then dropped the key back to her when he
left.

I suppose the Post Office must have subcontracted the work out to BT.

But why did he need to get into the house? There's a phone line and
socket there, although no phone has been connected for a year.

to check the internal wiring is suitable for broadband. And /or fit some
gubbins.