BT Homehub 2 any use?

Old May 12th 12, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default BT Homehub 2 any use?

I have been given a BT Homehub 2, but I am on Tiscali. I have a modem
router in use and a couple of spares should that one fail, but is the
BT unit any use at all to me, would it work with Tiscali?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old May 12th 12, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have been given a BT Homehub 2, but I am on Tiscali. I have a modem
router in use and a couple of spares should that one fail, but is the BT
unit any use at all to me, would it work with Tiscali?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

You can log into the HH2, disable the ADSL and use it as a switch and WAPI -
works.

Old May 12th 12, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Harry Bloomfield (for it is he) wrote:

I have been given a BT Homehub 2, but I am on Tiscali. I have a modem
router in use and a couple of spares should that one fail, but is the
BT unit any use at all to me, would it work with Tiscali?

I use a 2.0b as an 'N' access point, although it will only accept a
192.168.* address.

Perhaps I should have another look as the last time I did, the 2.0b was
totally locked down with no known workarounds. According to this they can
mostly be unlocked now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:20:10 up 121 days, 18:51, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.10, 0.21

Old May 12th 12, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

After serious thinking alexd wrote :
Harry Bloomfield (for it is he) wrote:

I have been given a BT Homehub 2, but I am on Tiscali. I have a modem
router in use and a couple of spares should that one fail, but is the
BT unit any use at all to me, would it work with Tiscali?

I use a 2.0b as an 'N' access point, although it will only accept a
192.168.* address.

Perhaps I should have another look as the last time I did, the 2.0b was
totally locked down with no known workarounds. According to this they can
mostly be unlocked now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub

Thanks very much for the info..

Old May 12th 12, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have been given a BT Homehub 2, but I am on Tiscali. I have a modem
router in use and a couple of spares should that one fail, but is the BT
unit any use at all to me, would it work with Tiscali?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

After changing the "Broadband user name" and "Password" they certainly work
with Plusnet. Why not experiment?

Word of warning. Whilst the HH2 isn't phased by 100W on HF, the PSUs that
come with a HH2s are very noisy amateur radio-wise. My PSU is one of the
quieter ones, but I've still replaced it with a linear, regulated PSU. Not
only does this clear the S8 QRM on the radio but also the QRM that the PSU
injects ito the HH2 itself - resulting in about a 15% higher sync speed!!

PA

N2SA: Yes, I know that Plusnet is now part of BT.

Old May 12th 12, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

Peter Able wrote...

Word of warning. Whilst the HH2 isn't phased by 100W on HF, the PSUs that
come with a HH2s are very noisy amateur radio-wise. My PSU is one of the
quieter ones, but I've still replaced it with a linear, regulated PSU. Not
only does this clear the S8 QRM on the radio but also the QRM that the PSU
injects ito the HH2 itself - resulting in about a 15% higher sync speed!!

Now that's what I call good thinking! Can you give a link to a suitable
psu? Pretty please.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Old May 12th 12, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message , Peter
Able writes
Word of warning. Whilst the HH2 isn't phased by 100W on HF, the PSUs that
come with a HH2s are very noisy amateur radio-wise.

Snip
Would that be likely to affect a Dab radio?
--
hugh
Old May 12th 12, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
m...

Peter Able wrote...

Word of warning. Whilst the HH2 isn't phased by 100W on HF, the PSUs that
come with a HH2s are very noisy amateur radio-wise. My PSU is one of the
quieter ones, but I've still replaced it with a linear, regulated PSU.
Not
only does this clear the S8 QRM on the radio but also the QRM that the
PSU
injects ito the HH2 itself - resulting in about a 15% higher sync speed!!

Now that's what I call good thinking! Can you give a link to a suitable
psu? Pretty please.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/

Sorry, Ken, but it was assembled from bits out of the junkbox, I'm afraid.
The recipe is a 15v mains transformer, a 1A bridge rectifier and a TO3 7815
regulator strapped with 100n ceramic capacitors.

PA

Old May 12th 12, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"Peter Able" [email protected] wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Oops, had to sign off to watch "Click". Final ingredient: a 4700u / 25v
capacitor.

It consumes 2W more than the original PSU - but it is as electrically quiet
as - well, anything that is totally electrically quiet. Like the original
PSU before it is plugged into the mains ;-}}

PA

PA

Old May 13th 12, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

Peter Able wrote...

Sorry, Ken, but it was assembled from bits out of the junkbox, I'm afraid.
The recipe is a 15v mains transformer, a 1A bridge rectifier and a TO3 7815
regulator strapped with 100n ceramic capacitors.

Oo-er missus! DIY's not on for me these days since the stroke, it's
like working wearing boxing gloves:-(
But I really like your idea of replacing the switched mode wart, I'll
try one similar to this:
http://goo.gl/m6JmD
Worth a punt at that price.